Ever Bonked?

Vetseun

never bonked racing, only in training... its this bazare state of hunger pains, absolutely no energy, and barely able to balance you go so slow.... i remember the one time, hallusinating that i could keep riding, but put my head on my stem and sleep at the sametime... crazy stuff!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember once taking my hand off the bar to press the aircon button. Took my a second or two to realize there isn't one after I couldn't find it.

Last year in the 94.7. Reached the halfway mark and I could not go on anymore. I felt like phoning home to tell people to come and pick me up at Northgate. Managed to finish. I think it was because I went through a course of anti-biotics the week before after picking up a virus.

Mamps

What was your time ? I had the exact same problem ,@ 60km thought I was at 90km! cramped on 80km and walked the last 3 K's never ever has this happend to me ,have to say I had a really crappy week before teh race ,working 20 out of 24 hours for the previous 6 days!!:thumbdown:

I try and bonk quite often I find just before a race helps me focus more.

:lol: :D :P ME tries every day!

Bonked last night on the way home, made it home and stuffed my face with jelly tots, cheese chips and then ate lasagne, also had a nice ice cold glass of coke.

I also remember bonking twice quite badly when i was still a teenager.

1:) On the way home from Killarney, bonked so bad i had to stop in edgemead, held on to a light post for the dizzyness to pass.

2:) One afternoon after school, training up tiekie draai, bonked the hell out of myself, got to the top of tiekie draai, had a little lay down, saw black spots even with my eyes closed.

This sums it up for my most recent Bonk...

http://nevcragg.com/...-training-camp/

depleted Glycongen at 50km then rode another 70km - hit the wall truly at 25km km to go and that included 2 passes, last one being 15km.

Closest I have been to a desolate road yard sale ever.

at least you burnt some fat ;)

tried to do a 80 km at Petit. Problem was I had a bit of health problems and the wind was a killer. 30 km I fell of the bike. A total 0.

Other time was after I had a kidney problem where I wanted to do a 80 km in Nelspruit. Got out of hospital the Wednesday with a few bugs in the system... Got to the start white in the face raging fever and tried to ride the fun ride (bloody entry was like in R120-00 for the 80km) best of all I bonked out at 7 km. Sleeped my sorry fatish (then) butt to the end and finished 4th.

Biggest bonk was on a 75 km training on the MTB in Bronkhorstspruit...

Did 50 km then ran out of water in 33 degrees celcius weather. Waslked for about 10 kilos that day till a friend passed me and gave me some water. Phoned me mom to get me that day... And that was very very bad. Got a uittrap session that nigh (as we are a cycling family with me the slowest fattest member)

Last year in the transbaviaans I blew just before the climb to badplaas. Started cramping and had to push my bike up the hill. I think that was about halway. Had to ride with cramps and severe nausia for another 7 hours. Was totally f@cked mentally for the rest of the season. Everybody needs to learn a lesson some time, but I would prefer not to have it like this again

After last years 94.7 nightmare it took me a month to get back in sadle ,have not done a race to date ,and yes Iam K@king myself for the next race. I feel like a real pissy! Vanderbyel hier kom ek !:angry:

Sani Non stop 2009, 1 km from the water table (could see it) totally broke down,shivering on the bike could not get the pedals turned over.

Told the seconding vehicle I need food just to be told to ride to the table.In my best and color full Afrikaans I told him that I need f*&%* food and need it now.After some food and sugar spikes and 10 minutes rest was able to get back on the bike and continue.

Bad Bad feeling :whistling:

After last years 94.7 nightmare it took me a month to get back in sadle ,have not done a race to date ,and yes Iam K@king myself for the next race. I feel like a real pissy! Vanderbyel hier kom ek !:angry:

I'm in the same boat. I'm just not in the mood to ride. Went out Saturday for an easy 60km but could not be bothered to go out on Sunday again.

I'm in the same boat. I'm just not in the mood to ride. Went out Saturday for an easy 60km but could not be bothered to go out on Sunday again.

Kom ons gaan doen maar "the fast one "?!??!?:rolleyes:

I battle to motivate myself this time of the year too. I don't do the Argus anymore, so I'm just riding when I feel like it and for the enjoyment, which is actually quite nice. I even managed to get my 14 year old son to ride MTB with me in the holidays, which was special. Still not sure if it was the fact that I let him use my new 29er, even before I had a chance to ride it or not, but I still enjoyed it.

On last year's Wilde, on that long stretch from Riebeek Kasteel back to Wellington, there was a kid weaving all over the road in front of me, head on the handlebars. He could hardly focus when I road up alongside. I had a rather dry peanut-butter sandwich with me (unfortunately he had no water and neither did I) but at least he got off the bike when I suggested it. The next water point was still about 5km away, he'd never have made it.

But there are times when there's nothing I pray for more than a Bar One and a Coke. They've saved my arse a few times.

This sums it up for my most recent Bonk...

http://nevcragg.com/2011/01/08/team-rsaweb-two-day-training-camp/

depleted Glycongen at 50km then rode another 70km - hit the wall truly at 25km km to go and that included 2 passes, last one being 15km.

Closest I have been to a desolate road yard sale ever.

Wow, when you are that far pushed it makes you wonder how close you actually are to even dying.

Really glad that car stopped for you and gave you a lift.

Dehydration is really dangerous.

Heard a horrible story the other day about parents that took their 2 year old son to durbanville mediclinic because he wasnt keeping his food down. He died right there of dehydration minutes later.

How long do we have to live (if you dont refuel and drink) when we reach that critical stage where we cant even ride granny gears or walk on flat roads?

I dont know, but I recon we are coming pretty close.

Like if you had to have curled up to sleep under a tree instead of climbing into the car, makes you wonder if you will ever wake up again?

Am I being to dramatic? Or do you think that dehydration is a hectic thing?

Am I being to dramatic? Or do you think that dehydration is a hectic thing?

It is a killer... You can't think do or react when you are dehydrated.