energy bars

They are full of trans fats in the form of hydrogenated palm kernel oil. This is stuff you NEVER want to put into your body.

Oh boy :rolleyes:

I'm off to get popcorn.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you can't breath for 3 minutes per bite when your heart is at 95% max durng a race. Then when you finally get to chew thebar your find your teeth are loose. :D

ha, yes breathing and eating is a challenge. Actually the hardest part for me is the unwrapping - tearing open the wrapper and then separating the sticky bar from it. What they should do is design the wrapper with a little tab at the top to grip with your teeth (like the unsticky bit at the end of a new roll of cellotape) and once you pull on it the wrapper tears in a predetermined corkscrew pattern around the bar. Would make the process much less messy and annoying.

They are full of trans fats in the form of hydrogenated palm kernel oil. This is stuff you NEVER want to put into your body.

Ok this is bad news. Looks like I am back to baking my own. aargh

Oh boy :rolleyes:

I'm off to get popcorn.

But go slow on the butter and salt.

Postscript: Do the yanks really put butter on their popcorn?

Right I'm back. Where we at? :unsure:

What's a YANK? :huh:

ha, yes breathing and eating is a challenge. Actually the hardest part for me is the unwrapping - tearing open the wrapper and then separating the sticky bar from it. What they should do is design the wrapper with a little tab at the top to grip with your teeth (like the unsticky bit at the end of a new roll of cellotape) and once you pull on it the wrapper tears in a predetermined corkscrew pattern around the bar. Would make the process much less messy and annoying.

Cut them and open before the race. Works wonders. :)

Cut them and open before the race. Works wonders. :)

Ye, I've noticed some guys do that. Sometimes I don't eat everything I'm riding with though.. seems to me it wouldn't be that hard to design better packaging. :huh:

They sure do!!

• 2 weeks later...

Who needs a bar that costs more than ten bucks? That's just highway robbery, I don't care what you put in it. Unless you are at Cape Point gift shop. Out there you are farked for options and you have to cough up the 14 bucks for your bar one. Thanks SAN Parks, after that I need a sanitary pad for my violated butt cheeks. Great ostriches though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geez, is there such a thing as a low GI drink?

If there is, low GI is low GI so it comes down to how long it takes to digest and get absorbed into your bloodstream.

When I race I want somoething that goes in and gets used immediately so that my glygcogen stores are not affected. Once your glycogen get too low and you are racing at a higher intensity than what you can digest you only have a limited amount of time before you bonk. So I try and run off my stomach contents from my last pre-race meal and food on the bike. Low GI doesn't work for me as by the time the food is digested I have used most of my glycogen and then it is too late.

I race at over 900kcal/hour but can only digest around 700kcal. You only have about 1000-1500 kcal in glycogen, so it can run out depending how you feed. Then it is over.

The low GI drink contains something called vitargo, whihc is a waxy maize extract that is low GI and is absorbed 70% faster than high GI multidextroin. It was made popular by the bodybuilders because it has all the benifits of multidextrion but is not as fattening.

Geez, is there such a thing as a low GI drink?

If there is, low GI is low GI so it comes down to how long it takes to digest and get absorbed into your bloodstream.

When I race I want somoething that goes in and gets used immediately so that my glygcogen stores are not affected. Once your glycogen get too low and you are racing at a higher intensity than what you can digest you only have a limited amount of time before you bonk. So I try and run off my stomach contents from my last pre-race meal and food on the bike. Low GI doesn't work for me as by the time the food is digested I have used most of my glycogen and then it is too late.

I race at over 900kcal/hour but can only digest around 700kcal. You only have about 1000-1500 kcal in glycogen, so it can run out depending how you feed. Then it is over.

Maybe it is just because I have a mathematical mind - but this makes perfect sense to me. And suddenly the penny drops on a lot of things. :D