illegal rear lights??

nacho!

was reading an article on why flashing is banned in UK... it has to do with studies, that the flashing light actually attracted drunk drivers and they tended to follow the flashing, rather then steering clear of them

I would love to read this, cause as far as the government laws are concerned they are legal. I posted a link previously in this thread saying that you are allowed to use them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was reading an article on why flashing is banned in UK... it has to do with studies, that the flashing light actually attracted drunk drivers and they tended to follow the flashing, rather then steering clear of them

In that case they should ban indicators then.

So, what's the problem?

Drunk drivers or flashing lights?

One thing is for sure, they do enforce the law in the UK.

You just do not drink and drive?

And I have seen cyclists pulled over by cops for not having lights.

Lets try again,

Rapid Sports in Pepper street have some cheap and nasty lights. Its the @titude brand name and they work very well.

Go have a look.

Edited by Nobody

Lets try again,

Rapid Sports in Pepper street have some cheap and nasty lights. Its the @titude brand name and they work very well.

Go have a look.

Bought mine there think I paid R60 for the white and red one :thumbup: I ride with two white ones in front and two red ones at the back. Best of all the people spot them from a distance- even had some very suspect vehicles slow down and turn around this morning at 4 :D

Edited by Reg Lizard

Instead of Blue LED's on the back or front I've mounted 5 Wide angle blue LED's on the bottom of the top tube and best of all it shines in no ones eyes...I hope the spietkops don't have a prob with this...

LED's are powered from a battery pack in the fork which I also fitted with some White LED's , one step closer to completing my night rider. B)

post-13937-0-62759700-1296135411.jpg

Its all about staying alive !!!! Fit any light any colour, the brighter the weirder the better. No one is going to say anything. SA is like the wild west. I fitted a yellow lense to the front of my Kawasaki now the entire world sees me coming miles away. If you are worried about the cops well I would'nt I have had my drivers license for a little over 20 years and I have never once been asked for my drivers license never mind the colour of my lights. I really dont see any traffic cop in SA stopping a bicycle cause you got the wrong colour lights on. :) Those magic shine light s are really great.

Nacho!, that looks like a car should be able to see you and when the cops pull you over tell them you name is "go-do" and surename is "some taxiFining"

I have flashing, still and even a white light at the back.

I honestly think that if the cops worried less about making money through fines and more about SAFETY.....fine people who are endangering others lives....the world would be a better place.

They do not care about safety but what is legal, but they also only apply "illegal" to soft targets.......

PS, you have to get rid of the flat pedals though :D

So, what's the problem?

Drunk drivers or flashing lights?

One thing is for sure, they do enforce the law in the UK.

You just do not drink and drive?

And I have seen cyclists pulled over by cops for not having lights.

This is true. I lived in the UK for 2 years the cops there dont take nonsense. This is SA though gonna take us another 20 + years to catch up. Mind you I dont recall seeing any cops in Lewisham when I got run over on my bicycle by a red double decker bus and that was in broad daylight wearing the brightest green cycling jacket I could find :unsure:

In SA fit any light to your bike, the cops are not going to bother with you. I have asked a few cops why they do not enforce the helmet law for push bikes. The response every time is "What Helmet law?"

The helmet law is another joke, are they really going to fine a due on his way to work riding with a spade on the handle bars?

If they do enforce it, it will again be in soft targets.

Instead of Blue LED's on the back or front I've mounted 5 Wide angle blue LED's on the bottom of the top tube and best of all it shines in no ones eyes...I hope the spietkops don't have a prob with this...

LED's are powered from a battery pack in the fork which I also fitted with some White LED's , one step closer to completing my night rider. B)

Do you also have blue lights under your 4x4? That does look pretty sweet I must say.

Edited by Caerus

I honestly think that if the cops worried less about making money through fines and more about SAFETY.....fine people who are endangering others lives....the world would be a better place.

They do not care about safety but what is legal, but they also only apply "illegal" to soft targets.......

PS, you have to get rid of the flat pedals though :D

I just drove past the cops with the lights on and they just smiled at me so think I'm safe there. :D

...And about the pedals...Getting some clipless soon :P

Do you also have blue lights under your 4x4? That does look pretty sweet I must say.

Thanks! :thumbup: Nope, haven't conviced my dad yet, only Blue one's in the bullbar for offroading, so far...

And while I was busy with the LED's I made some Wide angle Red ones to fit on the rear of the helmet for better visibility, middle one flashes. Cost me about R12 to build!

post-13937-0-15178500-1296160674.jpg