Water in the frame?

Zula

Also touched an oddity...... In cycling it is called carbon, in fishong rods it is called graphite

I also wonder about that. Perhaps a scientist or metallurgist can explain?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are usually holes at the botom of the seat stays, down by the rear derailler / skewers. Tip the bike up on the back wheel / front wheel up in the air and the water will run out of the frame.

Next time you take your bb out, have a look inside. In all my bikes, the holes between the bb shell and the set-stays and chain-stays is tiny, as I understand it the only reason the holes are there is too allow the frame to be flushed with argon gas (or something like that) while being welded, there is absolutely no ways water is going to drain out from the bb through the chain-stays or seat-stays, just drill a hole in the bb that they used to do.

post-6116-0-89677200-1295681618.jpg

Sorry about pic quality

there are usually holes at the botom of the seat stays, down by the rear derailler / skewers. Tip the bike up on the back wheel / front wheel up in the air and the water will run out of the frame.

The key word here is "self draining"

Next time you take your bb out, have a look inside. In all my bikes, the holes between the bb shell and the set-stays and chain-stays is tiny, as I understand it the only reason the holes are there is too allow the frame to be flushed with argon gas (or something like that) while being welded, there is absolutely no ways water is going to drain out from the bb through the chain-stays or seat-stays, just drill a hole in the bb that they used to do.

post-6116-0-89677200-1295681618.jpg

Sorry about pic quality

Perfect example of why not to drill a BB hole. Ride through a spruit and water will enter the BB and possibly the chain stays. Think all is good cause you have a drain hole whilst in fact the water cannot drain from chain stay to BB.

At least if you ride in rain then you know when to expect water in your frame and you can take seatpost out and dry.

Like I said before, BB holes are not always the best solution to water in the frame. Each and every frame design is different and needs a seperate decision. In the case of this frame a BB hole would not be the best solution. Correct seat tube drainage would be.

Perfect example of why not to drill a BB hole. Ride through a spruit and water will enter the BB and possibly the chain stays. Think all is good cause you have a drain hole whilst in fact the water cannot drain from chain stay to BB.

How so? Ride through a spruit and the water will enter the BB anyway, via the seatpost and pool in the BB shell entering the chainstays after all. Unless the BB cups run the full length of threads. Stays slope towards the BB shell, so water could in fact drain towards the BB shell, remaining moisture would in most instances evaporate in a dry environment.

One thing is for sure, with no hole, water has no where to go and will just pool around the BB. Which can prove a costly exercise.

As one example amongst a number of manufactures who do the same. Ghost bikes spec drainage holes in their frames, they are based in Germany where some of the muddiest wettest riding can be found.

At least if you ride in rain then you know when to expect water in your frame and you can take seatpost out and dry.

Like I said before, BB holes are not always the best solution to water in the frame. Each and every frame design is different and needs a seperate decision. In the case of this frame a BB hole would not be the best solution. Correct seat tube drainage would be.

Even with a drainage hole in the BB it would be (arguably) advisable after a very wet ride to remove the seatpost to aid evaporation.

BB holes may not be the best solution, but it's the most workable and not really related to frame design which relate to handling more than anything. Any frame will pretty much have the BB at the lowest relative point to the rest of the frame.

Turning a bike over for drainage by the seat tube has to be the most awkward solution I can think of. For one, the bike is now resting on the seat and the handlebars, for another the water could also make it's way down the down tube towards the steerer and head set.

Personally I have never experienced any BB or frame damage from having a hole in the BB, from not having one on the other hand, the experience has been different.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with manufacturers weighing up the technical merits, but rather reducing lead time in manufacturing. Especially given the increased demand from the popular growth of the sport.

I wonder how serious a problem is this? I've been riding the same bike through mud and water like everyone else for at least 3 years now, and I'm sure there are people who have ridden their bikes for even longer, is there even a documented case where water trapped in the bb shell has even caused problems? Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?

I wonder how serious a problem is this? I've been riding the same bike through mud and water like everyone else for at least 3 years now, and I'm sure there are people who have ridden their bikes for even longer, is there even a documented case where water trapped in the bb shell has even caused problems? Maybe you're just worrying a little too much?

Over 21 years, I've personally experienced it, I know others who have experienced it, plus I've personally worked on and seen bikes in workshops with it.

I think it depends largely on the climate and the riding a person does, for myself I don't lose sleep over the issue. I'm just commenting/contributing to the topic, no worry at all.

Like MAD said "What, me worry"

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with manufacturers weighing up the technical merits, but rather reducing lead time in manufacturing. Especially given the increased demand from the popular growth of the sport.

That would not make sense as there warranty claims would sky rocket and in countries with the customer protection act they would have to fork out.

That would not make sense as there warranty claims would sky rocket and in countries with the customer protection act they would have to fork out.

It doesn't affect the frame, just the BB. Which is for the most part a consumable wear and tear item. No warranty claim.

It's your bike. Your BB. Drill it. Don't drill it. Whatever.

I drilled mine to get the water out a looong time ago.

I "documented" this case way back in June. For this Cervelo owner the issue was serious.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/73810-galvanic-action-anyone/page__p__1058271__hl__cervelo__fromsearch__1#entry1058271