Helmets

ewep

As mentioned earlier, buy whatever fits.

If money is an object, then also bear in mind the various helmet company's crash / damage replacement policy's.

While I'm very happy and impressed with my Giro Atmos, the best replacement policy on offer has to be from Bell.

All you have to do, is hand in your damaged helmet, write an accident report and you get a new one FOR FREE!

(If I remeber correctly the Giro policy is 25% discount on the replacement?)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't really go too wrong with the offerings from Bell (both their Giro brand and the Bell brand).  Giro is good because you get great deals on the Pneumo.  They have taken to releasing a new "top of the range" offering every year (as have their sister company).  Difference between the Pneumo and the Atmos is a bit of carbon and 20g - difference between the Atmos and the 2006 Ionos is another 20g and more carbon.  Go into your local bike shop and try both the Bell and Giro offerings to check which fits your head better.  For Bell look at the Ghisallo and the Sweep, for Giro look at the Pneumo and the Atmos.  All are lightweight and well vented.

Did i mention get a Specialized smileys/smiley5.gif ??

Ok Ok i have a cheapie Bell Venture smileys/smiley36.gif

You can't really go too wrong with the offerings from Bell (both their Giro brand and the Bell brand).  Giro is good because you get great deals on the Pneumo.  They have taken to releasing a new "top of the range" offering every year (as have their sister company).  Difference between the Pneumo and the Atmos is a bit of carbon and 20g - difference between the Atmos and the 2006 Ionos is another 20g and more carbon.  Go into your local bike shop and try both the Bell and Giro offerings to check which fits your head better.  For Bell look at the Ghisallo and the Sweep' date=' for Giro look at the Pneumo and the Atmos.  All are lightweight and well vented.[/quote']

Good advice - especially for a devout anti-helment guy!

Scotty you flippin cheap skate - hope you don't use that when riding your Specialized! You know what they say 10$ head 10$ helmet!

You can't really go too wrong with the offerings from Bell (both their Giro brand and the Bell brand).  Giro is good because you get great deals on the Pneumo.  They have taken to releasing a new "top of the range" offering every year (as have their sister company).  Difference between the Pneumo and the Atmos is a bit of carbon and 20g - difference between the Atmos and the 2006 Ionos is another 20g and more carbon.  Go into your local bike shop and try both the Bell and Giro offerings to check which fits your head better.  For Bell look at the Ghisallo and the Sweep' date=' for Giro look at the Pneumo and the Atmos.  All are lightweight and well vented.[/quote']

Good advice - especially for a devout anti-helment guy!

They make us wear them at races you know.  Just remember the important bits - lightweight, good vents, easy fit.

They make us wear them at races you know.  Just remember the important bits - lightweight, good vents, easy fit.

That also describes my cycleshorts

smileys/smiley4.gif

I hate wearing a helmet-------I'd rather wear a cycling cap to be honest.

Bell Sweep R Ewep..........

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

• 4 months later...

Ok, waaay late reply on this topic. Bought a new helmet yesterday so I did a search for it on the Hub found this thread etc.

Was on my way to my LBS to buy a Giro Atmos yesterday, got there and they don't have the colour scheme I want in my size. As I was trying on the different display ones I noticed something, all the Atmos helmets got some damage where the carbon bits goes into the helmet. Got me worried a little about how the Atmos will look if it got damage like this just from people trying it on in a shop...that said I guess some people can be rough on stuff that's not theirs. Another thing the padding inside the Atmos did not really impress me for the prize for which the Atmos goes for. That said I still think the Atmos is one of the nicest looking helmets out there, but since the shop did not have one in my size I had a look around at some of the other helmets while they tried to find out how long it will take to order a Atmos for me. Tried on the LAS Squalo and was blown away how comfy the helmet is. It's got this whole one piece padding/netting cap like thing on the inside, so the helmet rests on that and not your head. Weight is around the same as the Atmos it comes in at 240grams and it's cheaper than the Atmos and none of the display models have damage to it(might be cause everyone just tried the Atmos on). told the guys to cancel the Atmos and took the LAS instead. Have yet to go on a ride with it, but so far I am quite happy with it. Anyone else on the hub have a LAS?

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7662/greyhelmet1gw8.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3721/greyhelmet2bq1.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6949/squalo111cd7.gif

ok, as a regular helmet tester i feel qualified and highly experienced to comment here... go for what fits comfy and is in-molded.

in 2004 had an AR accident - had a cheapy genesis... helmet = cracked down the middle of the styrofoam, bike = fine, me = serious neck injury and sever concussion. luckily my crash wasn't too hard or fast and decided to replace with better quality....

2005 saw my Bell Ghisallo tested at interclubs. helmet = clearly damaged, bike = needed tlc, me = cuts and only a mild concussion

2006 saw the atmos testing... the helmet was visibly damaged and dented!!!! bike = needed tlc. me = shattered collar bone, serious cuts etc, only mild concussion.

my new helmet (yet to be used) is a bell sweep r. it is sooo comfy fit-wise so i can't wait to check out how it feels to ride with it on.

Catlike - it never feels like your wearing a helmet!

Agree,  Big%20smileLOL  very comfortable and very good ventilation!!!

my new helmet (yet to be used) is a bell sweep r. it is sooo comfy fit-wise so i can't wait to check out how it feels to ride with it on.

I almost thought you're gonna say "Can't wait to put it though the test". LOL

mampara, i'm actually hoping to test the durability/longevity of this one Wink if i'm really lucky i'll only need to replace it when it's so old and out of fashion that no-one wants to ride with me