Stans NoTubes=NOGOOD

ELMOBA

I fitted new tyres with Stans NoTubes one week before the Sabie Experience, and when I serviced my bike one week after the event, look at what happened inside the tyre!

It formed "rubber crystals" with only a watery fluid left without any sealing properties. Luckily I had no incedent requiring the Notubes to do its work!post-15859-0-68390500-1295353528.jpg

I switched to Joe's...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think those micro sealing particles got bored and decided to form micro astroids :D just dont throw them at anyone

i think those micro sealing particles got bored and decided to form micro astroids :D just dont throw them at anyone

Can be that the particles got bored because I went up the inclines at such a slow pace, yes! :D

Looks like a bombs work that. Apparently the new ones that use some sort of gas dont do that.

Ill stick with Stans

You used a bomb....yes?

You genius!

Yes, I used a bomb the first day on the back wheel, but none on the front, and it also formed a chrystal? :unsure:

I've never had hassles with Stans - no crystals, even with using bombs (and I'm no genius)...

There is no specific way or recipe in getting these crystals to form with a CO2 bomb in your wheel but some okes say they won't form if you bomb your wheel with the valve in the 12 o'clock position...the sealant lies at 6 then(furthest point from the dry and cold CO2 entering the wheel very quickly). My suggestion is to check your sealant if you have used a bomb. You dont want to find out you have these crystals in your wheel 50km from home.

I've got some of those critters rolling around in both my tyres (can hear them when I spin the wheel slowly).

Did not use a bomb but the Sealant (Stans) has been in since early November 2010

1. +/- How long does Stans last before it does that?

2. Anyone know if extreme cold temps could also cause it, bike was in the luggage hold for 2 x 10 hr flights?

I stopped using stans because of delamination problems. I'm using Slime Pro at the moment, did attakwas without any flats. And the "best" part is it smells like coconut :clap:

:unsure:

Interesting... everyone seems convinced that using a bomb will cause the sealant to do this...

That may be, but I suspect there are other factors that may cause the same effect.

I took out a ping-pong ball sized "asteroid" from my front LUST Monorail the other day. I've never used a bomb on my MTB. I suspect that it might happen when the wheel stays stationary for extended periods of time. I checked the rear wire bead Crossmark and only found that it was low on Stans; no "asteroids" though.

My MTB hangs up in the rafters of the garage with the front wheel tied to the rear wheel of the GF's bike, so my theory goes that I often spin the rear wheel of my bike before I get into my car, but I can't spin the front because its tied to the other bike. Because I ride a road bike and MTB it often happens that one bike gets used more than the other, resulting in 2 week stretches where the MTB just hangs and waits.