Latest Scam

cpcwheeler

Having the money reflect in your account means nothing. They deposit a stolen cheuque, it reflects and then like ten days later the bank reverses the money as the cheque is stolen. You need to confirm with the bank that the money is by EFT first.

Just a question on that note... How do you guys actually conduct deals on the hub? Bearing in mind you could be scammed from both sides, you don't want to EFT before you have the goods, and you dont want to reslease the goods before you have the money... Bit of a catch22. And if some1 brought R20k in cash to my house I would prob go to a police station.

So are there any "procedures" you go through?

Personally Iv bought 2 big things on the hub. The first I took a cash deposit, an said I would EFT when I got home or alternatively use his computer to EFT, which worked out quite well because I could do it in front of him and he could release the bike.

Second time was far away so I couldnt collect, but it was a reputible bike shop that deals on the hub alot and has a good reputation, so I figured the risk of paying first was minimal.

Another one for how I have done a deal for a NCR item. Wanted to buy a surfski, and had my car all set up to take it home etc. I got there, and said I'd take it. I tried to transfer the cash on my phone, that wouldn't work. I then asked if I could use their computer to log in to FNB (I went to their house) but it needed a password to connect to the web. I then asked if the seller would send me their banking details by sms / e-mail, and I would do the transfer as soon as I had the message. I gave the seller my business card, as well as another contact number. They said okay, and I took the ski that day. I waited 5 days for the message to come through! Paid the same day as the message came.

I don't sweat the small value stuff as its not worth a scammers time. The big value items i meet in person at a public venue (both parties feel safer) check the items or money and conclude the deal.

Regards EFT, scammers are clever schemers, what a scammer does is ask you what bank you are at then claim to be from a different one, knowing that if its the same bank the money reflects immediately but for 2 different banks the money will at best only reflect the next day.

Some banks only reflect available balance on cleared funds while others dont. Find out from your bank if the do or dont.

There was a topic started a while back on the hub ( cant find it ) and it was basically saying who bought from who and their service, its was and could be a nice way to check up on solid candidates for those who want peace of mind or follow some of the advise giving buy people here. Maybe we should get a new one going you can record your dealing ( good only - not a bitch ) help build up the reliable peoples rep.

Never had a problem on the hub, bought two bikes, paid cash, bought HR monitors paid cash or did and EFT and got the goods as promised, sold three HR monitors and a bike on here.

Never release goods until funds are cleared in your account, generally will walk away from a deal if the person is in too much of a hurry to get the item or offers to send someone to pick it up with out sending cash.

I nearly got scammed by a **** called Gary Pautz the other day. Wasnt on the hub but the junk mail. I sold a metal bending device for R15k. This dude sms we wanted the machine. Paid the bucks into my bank account. Everytime I would try to phone him he would respond with an sms.The day before I would have delivered to JHB I decided to verify the info. Got a copy of the deposit slip from Nedbank, frikken cheque from some nursery school. Phoned them and discovered that the cheque book was stolen. Eventually tried Gary from another number, he is a frikken Nigerian.Told him I have contacts and he is going to be necklaced in Soweto but he didnt seem intimidated. One needs to be very carefull these days.

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

I nearly got scammed by a **** called Gary Pautz the other day. Wasnt on the hub but the junk mail. I sold a metal bending device for R15k. This dude sms we wanted the machine. Paid the bucks into my bank account. Everytime I would try to phone him he would respond with an sms.The day before I would have delivered to JHB I decided to verify the info. Got a copy of the deposit slip from Nedbank, frikken cheque from some nursery school. Phoned them and discovered that the cheque book was stolen. Eventually tried Gary from another number, he is a frikken Nigerian.Told him I have contacts and he is going to be necklaced in Soweto but he didnt seem intimidated. One needs to be very carefull these days.

That EXACT guy phoned me the day I put my bike in the junkmail!!! ...Ive been trying to advertise my bike through gumtree and junkmail, and have had a scammer try with regard to each site. Ive never delt with this rubbish my entire life, but in the last week ive had to tell 5 guys in total where they can stick it!! That Gary guy randomly called yesterday to say he put the funds in my account, which he indeed did but OBVIOUSLY it was fraud (checked with the bank)... so I told him to F*%k off. I actually wanted to play along so that I could hang him out to dry myself!! the problem is that its not just 1 guy..and chances are id be worse off. Needless to say, there is still 15k that needs to be reversed from my account! and no word from Gerrry.

Edited by cpcwheeler

That EXACT guy phoned me the day I put my bike in the junkmail!!! ...Ive been trying to advertise my bike through gumtree and junkmail, and have had a scammer try with regard to each site. Ive never delt with this rubbish my entire life, but in the last week ive had to tell 5 guys in total where they can stick it!! That Gary guy randomly called yesterday to say he put the funds in my account, which he indeed did but OBVIOUSLY it was fraud (checked with the bank)... so I told him to F*%k off. I actually wanted to play along so that I could hang him out to dry myself!! the problem is that its not just 1 guy..and chances are id be worse off. Needless to say, there is still 15k that needs to be reversed from my account! and no word from Gerrry.

Thats hectic.

Yeah absolutely insane!! ..so I rekon EVERYONE dealing with sales on our forum, junkmail or gumtree need to keep an extra eye out.

Here are some of the numbers to look out for:

...be my guest to any hubbers who are legit cops. Try these numbers

• 2 months later...

Same old same old, bike in the junk mail for 5min, some guy says:

" is it carbon?"

" how old is it?"

"ok, i don't want to see it, i know the bike! :huh: "

" I'll make an EFT and you just send the bike to me"

HAHA, come on guys, who doesn't want to look at the bike they gonna spend 35k on...

Junk m@il - the hub's the way to go