• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gavin

Did you ever try commuting?

Dave

I bailed from Sani last year so didnt need to get the extra training in, i have been scoping out a route recently though

How far? Everywhere. Work, shopping, home, visiting friends, client meetings, supplier meetings ... trying to stay in one gear, preferably 14/15 cog and only swapping rings.

hey i fly,

your signature is a little arrogant :)

I saw it on a Nike T-shirt about 15 years ago and it still amuses me.

What a stunning morning for commuting! Supposed to be raining, but nothing but crisp fresh air. Even had a partner to ride in with! Brilliant!

I tried my commute route on Saturday for the first time as I had to go in to the office anyways, 22km each way.

From Paulshof on Main rd to Kyalami, north to Olifantsfontein rd, east over the N1, north to Corporate Park North.

Wow, some climbs I really underestimated - you certainly don't notice the gradients when you travel by car.'

Anyways, 1h15min each way, although the return journey felt easier, on my SS MTB. Come on summer come on - as soon as the sun rises at 6am my commutes will start, 3 times a week.

post-19617-0-08801000-1314086042.jpg

Edited by divernick

• 1 month later...

Been commuting from April to June 4 times a week Croydon to Sandton (Kramerville).Start riding again this week most riding is off road.Some nice up hills to make your stronger :clap: . Trough the Sabenza and(or trough the bundu to Modderfontein rd,Funders Hill,pass golf course,and Thornhill estate)under power lines to the Palliser rd all the way to Modderfontein rd,left to Greenstone,London rd to first robot off road ,next to road(at Pick@Pay depot),to off ramp London rd,trough the fence at Refuse depot,to the top of it and out trough the gate at bottom,Mallboro and then Kramerville.About 56min one way 18km.

Ride is Cannondale scalpel 3.Tubeless .Got small back pack which convert to rain jacket.Do not have shower at work.I have set of cloths at work which i bring with car on Monday(swimming day)shorts and t shirt and Strops(sandals).I normaly wear until i remember to change them ,do i?? :P .No socks at work .Also helps i am self employed so i change time what time i ride to and back from work.Normally is like this 6am get up get triplets ready to school drop them about 7,15 there back home walk dogs and about 8am to work,(when i star to ride need have power nap as i was so tired)and 15,00 back home or so.

Soon moving to Serengeti golf estate so ride will be about 29km one way. :blink:

Did my 22km commute this morning, into a headwind the whole way. I hope the wind stays the same for the ride home.

Commuting or training before work gives me the "afternoon fade" - I keep some uber strong coffee in my drawer for the occassion - as soon as the eyelids droop I break out the caffeine!

45km is long but not undoable.

Commuting rocks - it's what SSers were made for!

Did my 22km commute this morning, into a headwind the whole way. I hope the wind stays the same for the ride home.

Were you the rider that were on Olifantsfontain this moring, between 7 and 7:30

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a fairly short ride, but it's crap because I have no choice but to cross some heavy intersections on main roads (Sandton area). Got bumped by a bus last week in fact :( Ride itself is maybe 5km each way, one hill each way.

34.5km. Four times a week (home/back and home/back) is lekker. Six+ times a week and you start nodding at your desk... well, that's for me at my current state of (non) fitness... :)

Although I've noticed that if I use 32Gi or the Biogen equivalent I seem to not get the midday slump.

How is the Gauteng heat wave affecting your commutes?

I just can't muster the energy to get on the bike in this weather :(