How far do you commute ?

ngala24

I sometimes do a 80 - 90k round trip from Kalk Bay, over chappies, suikerbossie, then either up The Glen and down Kloof to town, or round Sea Point and through the Waterfront, then same way home in the evenings.

Easier way is Kalk Bay - Main Road - Boundary Road - Plumstead - Wynberg Hill - Aliwal Road - Main Road - over the railway at Claremont - through Rondebosch past the common - Liesbeek Parkway - Albert Road - right over the railway line at Old Castle Brewery, on to the N1 to town.

Thats the way I went this morning - 28k's - then I'm off to Killarney at 5 - another 20k's - plus another 40 odd k's racing @ 40km/h. Hope it is not too windy there or I'll be in trouble. :P

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently no shower at work - shower before the ride, then portuguese shower in the bogs at work and apply deoderant liberally.

also ride the old s/s to work as often as possible (22km each way 3-4 times a week), but as i live in ct i probably only do about 50m of climbing each way, them thar's some serious hills ya got there! what ratio you use? :D

The ascent is 365m each way - there are 4 hills and some drags.

I tried the following ratios

32 -14 - okay on the flats but I had to stop on two of the hills

32 - 16 - hills start to hurt near the top but flats are a bit slow ( current ratio)

32 -18 - hills are fine but flats are frustratingly slow

Do you guys have shower at work?? That is whats been preventing me from commuting on the bike, even though I live just 4km from work.

We do have a shower at work but my folks live next door so rather do so there

Also we have a company bakkie i could use should the weather turn fowl on me or for some reason i need a vehicle

I wish I were able to commute. Problem is, I'm at a job where I'm on the road most of the day, and I'm not prepared to leave my car here overnight. We have a cold shower, and I would be uber keen to start if I had a desk-job.

Maybe in the future - who knows?

Dont have a road bike :(

Commute will be done on my 29er so lots of pavement hoping and riding ?

Where is that Raleigh? Otherwise go do a few loops on the 29er in the early morning on the airport runway track off yaldwin road

Companies & businesses need to come to the table, and supply decent showers & changing rooms at work. I used to commute a 60km round trip a day :clap: but that was London, not so hot and also relatively flat. I am hoping to be able to commute soon, which is 12km one way, but so many hills.

Edited by Caerus

Where is that Raleigh? Otherwise go do a few loops on the 29er in the early morning on the airport runway track off yaldwin road

Raleigh was sold about 2 years ago, looking for a new bike but funds are short since the little guy arrived

That looks awesome! Must get one for my early morning rides for those @ssholes that turn in front of you.

Rode with a guy who had one and almost soiled my pants and face when i first heard it, had to get one. Came in that batch of goodies i ordered with your goodies

Did the Benoni Alberton Ride twice this past weekend. It's a relatively flat ride and then from Alberton you can climb up Klipriver (Butchers Hill)for the grand finale.

Not many other alternative and I found the route along Rietfontein road fast paced and safe enough.

Enjoy. Commuting can be heaps of fun. :clap:

Did the Benoni Alberton Ride twice this past weekend. It's a relatively flat ride and then from Alberton you can climb up Klipriver (Butchers Hill)for the grand finale.

Not many other alternative and I found the route along Rietfontein road fast paced and safe enough.

Enjoy. Commuting can be heaps of fun. :clap:

Slave what route do you follow ?

I do 21km's each way........twice a week. I vary the ride....sometimes easy going.....somtimes do a portion as interval/sprint training counting lamp-posts......

The ascent is 365m each way - there are 4 hills and some drags.

I tried the following ratios

32 -14 - okay on the flats but I had to stop on two of the hills

32 - 16 - hills start to hurt near the top but flats are a bit slow ( current ratio)

32 -18 - hills are fine but flats are frustratingly slow

i see - i presume you're using an mtb then.

i converted my old aluminium road frame to a single speed using some donated parts, duct tape and string and run a 39x15 (the 15 cog was all my lbs had at the time!). luckily there is only the one 2km or so stretch which is maybe 2-3% at most so it just works the legs a tad.

the real bugger is heading south along main road straight into a howling southeaster - which picks up just about every afternoon like it's waiting for me...