How far do you commute ?

ngala24

Damn it's not easy, plus I am in panic mode anyway, so I need all the tits I can get... Somehow that sounds so wrong....

Bwhahah , tits in the morning , i like your thinking :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as the organiser of the Vori-Berg MTB race i should not have an excuse to commute. office is a mere 2km away.

I stay on the route and can easily cover a loop of 15 km and get back home for a shower.

That is what i want to do.

It aint happening at the moment as the children need to get to school, security guards need sorting out, clients need to be visited.

Working on a plan to do this ride daily.

When stayed in town i commuted to work mon to thursday and enjoyed 30km one way.

Keep those wheels turning.

is that on your Pina or in the car? Somehow I think it's the latter :unsure:

I travel about the same distance in the morning - takes 50 min by bakkie, 40 min by bike with less traffic, speed and stress.

But with the Pina of course bru!

On a Monday morning the same commute takes me around 15minutes longer with the car :thumbdown:

Some places I am even ahead of the motorcyclist cause I can squeeze through spots they can't. Just love the look on their faces when they have to make way for a cyclist to overtake them :lol:

Weaving through all that traffic sure is an adrenaline rush of note before breakfast, love it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thought some stats would be interesting ... after I noticed what difference the South Easter makes!

On the way to work with the SE from behind, going uphill is faster

post-4352-0-13115300-1320384617.jpg

than going home (downhill) with the SE in my face!

post-4352-0-03093400-1320384657.jpg

I do about 45-60km one way, 3-4 days a week on the MTB. I have a lift club and when it's my turn to drive I load the two bikes and leave them at the office. Next to days I drive in with the other guys and ride home.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried my commute route on Saturday for the first time as I had to go in to the office anyways, 22km each way.

From Paulshof on Main rd to Kyalami, north to Olifantsfontein rd, east over the N1, north to Corporate Park North.

Wow, some climbs I really underestimated - you certainly don't notice the gradients when you travel by car.'

Anyways, 1h15min each way, although the return journey felt easier, on my SS MTB. Come on summer come on - as soon as the sun rises at 6am my commutes will start, 3 times a week.

How are the commutes going in the Northern subs? I am thinking about commuting from Weltevreden Park to New Road in Mirand. It's about 30km each way, also on a single speed! Will ride mostly along Witkoppen Road, then turn left onto Main Road and travel all the way up to crowthorn and then on to New Road to my destination.

I have started commuting from Weltevreeden Park to Houghton. The ride in is pleasant but the afternoons are un-nerving. The routes I have been trying out are between 25-32km one way.

Looking forward to cutting down on my fuel bill!

How are the commutes going in the Northern subs? I am thinking about commuting from Weltevreden Park to New Road in Mirand. It's about 30km each way, also on a single speed! Will ride mostly along Witkoppen Road, then turn left onto Main Road and travel all the way up to crowthorn and then on to New Road to my destination.

I would re-consider the route - rather cut through 'burbs and minimize time on busy roads like Witkoppen and Main (unless it's bumper-to-bumper traffic at the time you're riding). That's how I roll, anyways.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys have shower at work?? That is whats been preventing me from commuting on the bike, even though I live just 4km from work.

I live about the same distance as you from work an I started commutin on my bike 3 times a week and it's great! It's not such a far distance so I'm usually not very sweaty so it's fine. I also bought a pair of Shimano MT33 shoes for commuting and they're awesome!

I have an extra pair if anyone wants.

I live in Randpark Ridge and work in Sandton 12km one way. BUT I can tell you theres no way I would cycle to work. 1 you can never tell what the weather is going to do 2nd the law of averages dictates that some @sshole is going to run you over at some point. Considering the general attitude of motorists towards motorcycles and cyclists its just not something I would chance.

I live in Randpark Ridge and work in Sandton 12km one way. BUT I can tell you theres no way I would cycle to work. 1 you can never tell what the weather is going to do 2nd the law of averages dictates that some @sshole is going to run you over at some point. Considering the general attitude of motorists towards motorcycles and cyclists its just not something I would chance.

Thats why i have a SS mtb , pavements are your friend then . as for the weather dont let that affect you ( rain coat always packed )

I commute from Honeydew to Sandton on a SS mtb. If you want I can show you our route

Cool. Send route/map. I have both roadie and MTB so can do either.

Sent a Google map to your PM.

Just wanted to know if you guys that commute all have showers at work or what do you do? I started riding to work 3 days out of the week a week ago and now the boss says he wants me to shower first so I don't come in all sweaty. The problem is that there aren't any showers at our workplace...

Maybe I should just wash in the sink lol and then spray deoderant...