Used bike dealers

Edge_Design

(P.S. With all due respect Spat being a 'stand up guy' is not mutually exclusive to being a criminal.)

And ignorance for the used items you have purchased is no excuse!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you have a good lawyer ed

Are you a lawyer Morpeus? Whats wrong with his post? He is merely stating facts, not accusing the shop of deliberately buying stolen goods. If the shop is all above board, then he has nothing to hide, or fear.

(P.S. With all due respect Spat being a 'stand up guy' is not mutually exclusive to being a criminal.)

I never said it was, all I said was that I am sure if you asked Neil he would explain how he deals with this, as someone else said he probably takes all the details and then goes from there.

If you were trying to sell your bike and took it into Neil, after giving your details would you not expect him the to go forward and deal with you?

If this bloke has already been found with one stolen bike in his possesion, what is that telling you. Its dodgy, of course he will seem like a nice guy.

It is not enough to just ask for a copy of the ID. If you have 'non cyclist types' bringing in bikes with expensive components mixed with cheap stuff then you KNOW that somewhere out there these things were stolen - probably in a hijacking. Refuse to deal with them. (And please don't come with this BS about not stereotyping people - stereotyping works 90% of the time).

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

from the sounds he is the middleman, sells the bike behalf of someone, pay the guy what he wants and take the other R500 profit....but if he did sell a stolen bike, it comes out at a later stage then both sellers will be in trouble....the guy that stole it and sell it, and Neil because he sells a stolen bike behalf of someone meaning he deals in stolen goods...

from the sounds he is the middleman, sells the bike behalf of someone, pay the guy what he wants and take the other R500 profit....but if he did sell a stolen bike, it comes out at a later stage then both sellers will be in trouble....the guy that stole it and sell it, and Neil because he sells a stolen bike behalf of someone meaning he deals in stolen goods...

Exactly, I suspect this runs deeper then we know. Thats just speculation mind you

"...sells the bike [on] behalf of someone, pay the guy what he wants and take the other R500 profit...."

Not exactly. I wanted to sell my old bike in December. Someone suggested I take it to him. IT WAS MY UNDERSTANDING that he wasn't prepare to sell it if I didn't buy another bike from him.

I have been to his shop and witnessed a bizarre deal.

A guys walks into his shop with a set of Zipp's (tubbies) 404 & 303 and says to him..." I dont like these wheels where you have to glue your tyres on...can I swop them for something else"

The owner gives him a set of Mavic Elites (bad condition) and the deal is done. I dont think he ever got his price of R7900 for the the Zipp's.

His prices are way OFF. ??

Hey I know Neil and he is a good guy...

He deals in second hand bikes so I guess there are defnitely going to be scenarios where dubious goods are brought in, I hear your point edge design you want to know how he vets if the bikes are stolen or clean?

Dont know personally but believe Neil is a standup guy so I am sure he would give you that detail if you asked him.

SPAT...i'm gonna go with you on this one!

~3 years ago I contacted Neil wrt a bike advertised on Gumtree...i was far away in Swest and phoned him and deposited R1000 into his account as a "retainer".

Got to his house on the weekend and took said bike for a spin...did not feel comfortable about my buy and asked him if I can take bike back with me to swest to have it checked out. {took it to LBS and got a few pointers....i was a rookie at that time}

He had no problem with that and I could have dissapeared altogether with R1000 paid for a R10k bike...he trusted me!

All in all i did not take the bike and Neil actuallly refunded my R1000 back before I even reached my home (on the same day).

I was very curious at the time about all the bikes in his garage...still is but i recon he deals in 2nd hand bikes....that's all.

My description is more about Neil's character - where he gets his stock from??? well, I'm sure he does not check their origins each and every time! It is very possible stolen bikes end up with 2nd hand dealers like him....but is it his job to verify theior origins each and every time? surely seller's details is all that the law requires?

The law normally deals with it like this:

If you knew or ought have reasonably have known that you are dealing in stolen goods then you are guilty of recketeering, laundering or whatever you want to call it and are guilty as sin.

If you keep buying bikes which have OBVIOUSLY been stripped and reassembled for no functional reason then to me you are guilty in the eyes of the law.

But screw the law. I friend was riding his bike along the road about five years ago and a pedestrian turned around and shot him at point blank range (without first demanding the bike - luckily he survived). Everytime you buy a bike in suspicious circumstances you are effectively placing the next order and you share in the blood of the next incident like the one above.

So both ways - just getting a copy of the ID is not good enough.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

I think what it comes down to Edge_Design don't uderstand lets say you have a descent bike...lets say 9speed Ultegra shifters, then a Sora FD, Tiagra RD and 105 crank....just dont make sense.....so someone strips all the bikes and then end up mixing and matching parts... :)

MTB_Roadie - obviously it is far less suspicious if you buy a mixed bike from a cyclist than from someon who is a non-cyclist.

Addionally, if someone's pricing is off it means their margins are huge - intersting parallel is that per Carte Blache (about 10 years ago) most stolen cars sell for about R3000 by the original thief.