What tyres do not delaminate with Stan's?

Fish Eagle

Just put a nice thick tube in and put the Stans in the tube

Awesome answer there BiG H, you get tubeless tires so you can use a tube to hold your tubeless tire sealant. Now why didn't Stan think of that?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never had an issue with stans before......specialiazed, maxxis and continentals......all fine....oh and schwalbes.

Awesome answer there BiG H, you get tubeless tires so you can use a tube to hold your tubeless tire sealant. Now why didn't Stan think of that?

Glad I could be of assistance

That whole Stans Ammonia story is utter crap - made up by the Kenda/maxxis (cant remember which) people so they didn't have to warranty all their tires.

I have used stans in every spesh tire and maxxis tire I have ever owned and never had it delaminate.... only once on a crossmark - but not on the replacement one (hmmm wonder why)

the BS'O'Meter was dialled up full power on the ammonia story

I had a delamination on a crossmark on two tyres one caused a bubble and the other was in the sidewall

funnily enough the tyres were bought at the time but maxxix would not replace

I heard a story that bombing your wheel the CO2 reacts with the stans ? but hadnt done any of that

my solution, after maxxis wouldnt replace was to change brands to geax tyres

power to the consumer..

• 2 weeks later...

I had a delamination on a crossmark on two tyres one caused a bubble and the other was in the sidewall

funnily enough the tyres were bought at the time but maxxix would not replace

I heard a story that bombing your wheel the CO2 reacts with the stans ? but hadnt done any of that

my solution, after maxxis wouldnt replace was to change brands to geax tyres

power to the consumer..

Funny you say that about the CO2 thing, I heard something about that recently too. I dont know what to believe anymore. Trying to do some road riding during the week to wear my tyres out a bit more and then will replace them when theyre flat/or theyve completely separated depending on what comes first.

Maxxis are a bunch of wallys, my husband had the same problem and they also gave him a long story.

I've used Stan and CO2 to inflate my tyres, and I've had no issues with delamination. I currently use Conti's, but have previously used Maxxis, and Schwalbes.

I've got a Specialized Captain on the front, Fast Track on the back and have had no problems with delamination.

Oh and I use bombs.

Non UST Kenda Nevegals as well as Small Block 8's and various WTB tires...no issues ever.

The crappest tire of the lot was a UST Bontrager Jones which I will never buy again...massive sidewall blowout...just riding along!

Trying the new Kenda Slant Six non UST as Tubeless next.

OK Update a six months later...Non-Tubeless WTB started delaminating where I punctured it and some stans got in but the tire was probably the best part of two years old. Michelin XC (non-UST), small block 8 and Nevegal still going like a boeing...

Edited by XTC1

Keep in mind that delamination usually doesn't happen overnight. Should you remove your tire that had Stans in, put it in storage and then re-use months afterwards, chances of delamination (in any make) increases dramatically. If you insist on Stans, put a tire of your choise on (as long as you do not choose Kenda UST) and ride it till it is gedaan and remember to put fresh Stans in every month or 2.

• 6 months later...

you will probably find a hole in the casing - the fluid goes in there and eventually it's tickets...

more of a per case manufacture default - send it back to spesh - my money is on them sorting you out.

You might be right here. I had this happen to me for the first time this weekend. Opened up the Kenda Karma just now. Seems that the Stans/Joe's mix came into the inside casing through a thorn hole...

This is how it looked like.

post-12695-0-93909100-1314106223.jpg

post-12695-0-95996200-1314106245.jpg

Edited by Topwine

I had problems with both Larsen TTs and Crossmarks. Eventually moved away from Stans to a water based sealant - no problems since then.

I guess it's random then. I had to throw away a perfectly good Hutchinson Python Tubeless Light recently, but on old Captian 2bliss still going strong.

Is there a difference between the old Stan's, and the New "Green Formula" Stan's? I am running Nevegal UST with Stans "Green Formula", No Issues

You might be right here. I had this happen to me for the first time this weekend. Opened up the Kenda Karma just now. Seems that the Stans/Joe's mix came into the inside casing through a thorn hole...

This is how it looked like.

post-12695-0-93909100-1314106223.jpg

post-12695-0-95996200-1314106245.jpg

The problem there is that there was a knife in the tyre.... laugh.gif