R12.00 Cokes at Tokai

my_intense

Am I behind the times or is R12.00 for a can of coke at the coffee shop a bit steep? That's more than at the airport.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I behind the times or is R12.00 for a can of coke at the coffee shop a bit steep? That's more than at the airport.

Then

Don't

Buy

One.

Coffee shop at Tokai very under-used by Mtbikers. Don't know how they (shop owner) can be so dof not to realize that they have a huge market right under their noses. I have a cup of coffe and a slice of cheesecake there every once in a while and found it quite pleasant, if not great. Don't recall it as particularly expensive.

Hmm have to agree here with the price :thumbdown: 2 minutes down the road is a garage coke R6:50. So they have just lost on a sale. There is usually 3 of us and after every ride we buy a coke at the garage. and after buying cokes there once never again.Yes they have to pay rent etc but so do lots of other places that sell coke. Why not R8 R10 at a push? Coke cost R4.75 at makro. Menu panning is make some thing more expinsve and other cheaper to get to the same cost at the end of the day. Tea cost nothing but can sell for R10.00 a cup

All they are doing is putting ppl off. That place is a gold mine all they need to know is how to use it.

Why not have a Ice cold water tank outside in summer with free ice water for MTBers? In winter hot coffee? Sometimes it takes alittle money to make money. I have so many ideas for that place. to try draw the guys in. A secure bike park area for when you sit and have a drink, bike wash,free coffee with a muffin. Cold face cloths given to you by a hot babe etc.

Get a little stall that sells a few spares, tubes, links etc not a lot just some things that may have been left behind.

Make a tokai coffee shop loyalty card buy x amount get 1 free etc. Get something going for kids so the wife/hubby could wait there for the better half on the track?

Tokai see loads of cyclist every day and yet that place always seems empty. That is without all the oldies that ramble up there.

Sorry

as you say dont buy but its sad seeing a place like that that could be so nice. Could have a hubbers club there :D

Edited by leet22

Everybody here seems to want to take the micky out of intense, i am with him. I can pay R12 for 2l coke at checkers. Some places are charging ridiculous prices, yeah sure that R4 that they overcharge wont kill any of us, but hell its the principle of simply being ripped off. And R12 for a tin coke is a rip off any way you look at it like a toasted tuna may sammie at jonkers for R45 bucks, i mean really? 50c for the bread, R2 for the tuna, and 50c for the mayo, add another R1 for the garnish. Thats 40 profit on a sandwich. Its insane, thats why i cycle to a restaurant at the corner of boterlary, and whatever the stellenbosch road is, for R45 bucks i get eggs bendict, with a brilliant sauce on crispy farm bread, loads of bacon etc.

A hell of alot more effort goes into eggs benedict than a shitty tuna mayo sammie. There is in my mind still something called value for money, and if you want to rip me off trust me i will do my best to not support you and your dodgy establishment.

End of rant.

Edited by covie

@ Leet

I've thought and said exactly the same thing a thousand times over the years that I've been riding there. Sad to see such potential wasted.

There is in my mind still something called value for money, and if you want to rip me off trust me i will do my best to not support you and your dodgy establishment.

End of rant.

Yeah, its in everything Covie, I balk at paying for something where I percieve the value to be overrated - its got nothing to do with the afforability of the purchaser, its got to do with value for money.

I also think the coffee shops at both Tokai and Jonkers are missing the boat.

It has reached the point where I sometimes take a cooler box with cokes and ice and we picnic there after rides.