Energy Gels

Oltremo

What do you guys and girls think of Energy Gels.

I eat 1 or 2 banana's on long rides (+2hrs) and during race, I also drink an energy drink.

My current on bike diet does not have a negative side effect, but will I get more vooma if I switch to gels?

I'm ok with them, been using the USN Vooma gels in those toothpaste tubes. Convenient, non messy and I find that they're generally good for 2/3 races. Depending on how much I'm kakking off!

I use Hammer Gel in the final 45 minutes of racing.

Nevva any gels in training distances below 3.5 hrs.

I use Hammer Gel in the final 45 minutes of racing.

Nevva any gels in training distances below 3.5 hrs.

Thats the way.

I use 32GI all through training and "racing", only in the latter part of the "race" do I bash down 2 gels in the space of an hour, just to get ot the line with a bit of "energy"

Tried 32Gi for the 1st time today...nice juice :thumbup:

Where do I get some direct from the suppliers? LBS too expensive

Guest agteros

32Gi is nice as a cooldrink, just a tad expensive for that. It leaves me flat (not feeling flat, but FLAT) during a race. I get better results with Energade.

Gels, I've found the GU range not helping me much, but Supagoo works a charm.

For natural alternatives have a look at http://www.gifoundation.com

EDIT: Everybody is different, we all tolerate sugar differently, just as we do caffeine and alcohol. Experiment during a long training rides (one type of gel per ride) and stick to (pun intended) what works

Edited by agteros

I was kakking off saturday at a training ride of 120km. At 80km I took a hammer gel. It worked like a charm for the last 20km, just took too long to kick in.

I must admit have only tried Biogen gels (not the best tasting, the naartjie is nicer than the vanilla), but they do work relatively fast and dont cost the earth.

Gels are good for long rides but have you considered maybe chowing an energy bar in place of a banana on your rides, some of them are pretty easy to eat and work fast too :D

I swear by GU.

Tried PVM - cherry is yucky, Powerbar - expensive and does nothing for me, USN vooma tube -watery and weak carb content, Muscle Science - YUCK!, Hammer orange -too salty, Enervit - don't like it, 1st gel I tried.

I use the USN Vooma in the sachets (making sure I don't throw the wrapper away!).

I find I can get them down (not too gooey) and the taste is minimal (I use the vanilla ones), so I find them the best for me. I tend to knock back one towards the end of a long stage or race.

If in Cape Town, find Body 'n Bike, Bellville!

Bloemhof Str, me think.

Best price - ask any local rider... :)

Gels where just too expensive for me so I just pack in a peanut & honey sandwich. Throw in some AJ Muti Mix and I'm sorted for less than R10 a ride.

We use the same thing (the zarms not the juice) for long rides and they work very well. but mine always got squashed in the camelbak. A mate (shes pretty good with these things) reckons a wrap has the same amount of carbs as 2 slices of bread, so now i use pnut b and honey/syrup in a wrap. Takes up less space, doesnt get squished and has the same effect as my old zarms - and its a nice change from bread! :clap: