Running to improve riding performance

Vetseun

I was reading an old cycling mag today. There was an interview with Burry Stander when he became world champ. In this article Burry says that running helped him do it. Im keen to use running as cross training. Anybody do this? Oh ja and Im sure this topic has been addressed previously so if you dont want to reply please leave the sarcastic comments. Shot

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, helps a lot, but in general, cross training is definitely teh way to go. I couple running, swimming and weights to my cycling.

Guest agteros

I just about only cycle to remember how to handle the bike....OK,a bit of an exaggeration... I run at least as many hours as what I cycle a week

Quite frankly I prefer running to cycling, but my old body takes tremendous strain when I train for an Ultra marathon like the upcoming Two Oceans, for me its simply not possible to do too many marathons anymore unfortunately. Hense my swing over to cycling.

But to answer your question, yeah, I think it helps, especially for your cardio vascular fitness. Running is much harder on the body than cycling so even if you just go run 40 minutes on the treadmill three times a week at your local VA you should notice an improvement in your fitness levels.

Thanks Grumpy

Quite frankly I prefer running to cycling, but my old body takes tremendous strain when I train for an Ultra marathon like the upcoming Two Oceans, for me its simply not possible to do too many marathons anymore unfortunately. Hense my swing over to cycling.

But to answer your question, yeah, I think it helps, especially for your cardio vascular fitness. Running is much harder on the body than cycling so even if you just go run 40 minutes on the treadmill three times a week at your local VA you should notice an improvement in your fitness levels.

I was reading an old cycling mag today. There was an interview with Burry Stander when he became world champ. In this article Burry says that running helped him do it. Im keen to use running as cross training. Anybody do this? Oh ja and Im sure this topic has been addressed previously so if you dont want to reply please leave the sarcastic comments. Shot

Agent, it's great but you are gonna have to loose some pounds brother.

Guest agteros

Yep, extra weight +running = sore knees

This should sum it up nicely. 2 weeks before sani2c my partner had to pull out so i had to pick the fittest friend i had. Before Sani2c we rode once together 80km, before that he had only ridden casually at least a few months before and not more than 30km. He is a runner who permanantly keeps fit by running and was in his comrades training at that stage. We ended up in the top 50% (think it may have even be top 1/3 but not sure .. have memory of goldfish !!) with Sani2c ... nuff said ...RESPECT

I started running this year and really notice the difference. I am using the Addidas Micoach on my BlackBerry and it is excellent!!

Ok Dangle just take into consideration that da agent was under cuva in the pikcha. I weight less than half of that oke.Maybe time to post a real photo, the teasing is making my heartsore

I

Ok Dangle just take into consideration that da agent was under cuva in the pikcha. I weight less than half of that oke.Maybe time to post a real photo, the teasing is making my heartsore

I

In that case, run Agent run.

As Grumpy said, it really improves your cardio, but he made 40 minutes on the treadmill sound way too easy.

Guest agteros

Did the 2010 94.7 on 50km/week of running since Aug, 4 weeks of 3x IDT sessions per week. Did only 2xlongish rides during this time(Afriman Duathlon and a 2x40km ride)

I managed 2:53 and never felt 'under threat' due to fitness. HR never spiked,and always recovered after the hills. 'twas a great ride(for me) and I ascribe it all to the running miles.

Shot, Ill run like the cops are chasing me.

In that case, run Agent run.

As Grumpy said, it really improves your cardio, but he made 40 minutes on the treadmill sound way too easy.

Excellent :thumbup:

Did the 2010 94.7 on 50km/week of running since Aug, 4 weeks of 3x IDT sessions per week. Did only 2xlongish rides during this time(Afriman Duathlon and a 2x40km ride)

I managed 2:53 and never felt 'under threat' due to fitness. HR never spiked,and always recovered after the hills. 'twas a great ride(for me) and I ascribe it all to the running miles.