Look Keo 2 Max

splat

I got a bit of a fright last night when getting my bike ready for this morning's ride.

I spun the pedals around as they were making a noise towards the end of my last ride, and the pedal body just came off in my hand!

If that had happened while riding, I would have had a proper prang!

It seems that the nylon nuts unscrewed themselves from the pedal body.

I wasn't aware that one had to check this regularly.

Is there a special tool one needs to tighten these nuts?

Has this happened to anyone else?

(the picture isnt of my pedals)

post-615-0-16126000-1296542195.jpg

Yep, it's one of those things that should be checked every so often,and torqued up correctly. At least u now have some sort of timeline for your next check up. Out of interest, how long since they've been installed?

Is there a special tool one needs to tighten these nuts?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Nope, no special tool needed, tighten with allen key on the inside of the crank.

Have had mine on for about a year without any issues. (taken them off about 3 times for a clean during that time)

I have done 3800km with them and have had no problems so far.

The pedal axels are tightly screwed into the crank arms.

The pedal body threads onto the nut with the serrated edges which holds it over the axels and bearings.

You can use a normal ring spanner (I can't remember what size, though 19mm rings a bell). You need a special tool for the older Keos.

Edited by Edam

You can remove the pedals using an allenkey. I've never ever seen or heard of that happening? Remove the axles with the ring spanner, and to re-grease them. When you refit the axle, put a dab of locktite on the tread before you screw it back in.

Edited by Mr LOOK

You can remove the pedals using a 19mm ring spanner or with an allenkey. I've never ever seen or heard of that happening? I suggest to remove the axles with the ring spanner, and to re-grease them. When you refit the axle, put a dab of locktite on the tread before you screw it back in.

I would love to see how you will get a ring spanner on the axle with the pedals mounted. Why does it look like the plastic nut is different on the two sides? I hope this is a once off as I want to get Keo 2s in the near future.

I would love to see how you will get a ring spanner on the axle with the pedals mounted. Why does it look like the plastic nut is different on the two sides? I hope this is a once off as I want to get Keo 2s in the near future.

I was looking at exactly the same and those 2 nuts are indeed different....mmmmm

Mampara...it's too early in the morning for me. You're 100% right. Remove the pedal with the allenkey and remove the axle with the ring. The nuts do look different...there a left and a right side...but the 19mm rings fits no problem.

You can remove the pedals using an allenkey. I've never ever seen or heard of that happening? Remove the axles with the ring spanner, and to re-grease them. When you refit the axle, put a dab of locktite on the tread before you screw it back in.

Thanks for your input.

I forgot to PM you yesterday.

I have scoured the interwebs and haven't come across anyone else having this problem, so it seems like a once off.

I would still recomend Look pedals.

If I were buying again, I would consider the blades though.

This is where I got the pic from: weightweenies