Tubeless tyres

T-girl

I am currently using liners and slime in my mtb tyres. The tyres will soon need replacing so I figure I should make the transition to tubeless.

Any advice on what tyres to get?

And do I need new 'tubeless' rims? or will I still get a much lighter wheel if I run my current rims with a conversion kit??

My wheels are HEAVY! :unsure:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently using liners and slime in my mtb tyres. The tyres will soon need replacing so I figure I should make the transition to tubeless.

Any advice on what tyres to get?

And do I need new 'tubeless' rims? or will I still get a much lighter wheel if I run my current rims with a conversion kit??

My wheels are HEAVY! :unsure:

You should be able convert them, what are they? Tyres are down too personal preferance, What tyres do you currently have? Also do you have a budget

Edited by Caerus

I'm with caerus: stan's offers the tubeless conversion kits. I too came from MTB DH cases with DH tubes and tire liners. The change over was MASSIVE. Definitely one of those moments when u wondered what the hell took you so long. So T-Girl: dont htink about it, just do it.

You should be able convert them, what are they? Tyres are down too personal preferance, What tyres do you currently have? Also do you have a budget

I have Michelin WildRace'R I believe. But they are well worn so will get new ones soon!

Have heard conteninental are the way...?

Not sure on budget really; just want a good set of lightish wheels! Not wanting to spend a lot though.

I have Michelin WildRace'R I believe. But they are well worn so will get new ones soon!

Have heard conteninental are the way...?

Not sure on budget really; just want a good set of lightish wheels! Not wanting to spend a lot though.

And the rims? Its possible to get some nice 2nd hand wheels off the hub, Someone was selling some new Stans rims for R1100. Budget will dictate unfortunatly. Tyres - hard to say. Ive not ridden with Michelins so cant comment, but the Conti are great, bit pricy( expect to pay up to R450/ tyre) Dont be conned into having to go full UST as these will be more expensive.

Where do you do most of your riding?

T-Girl, I recently made the jump after having MTBs with normal tubes since 1989. I did it the semi-cheap way:

1) Buy some UST tires (they have thicker and stronger sidewalls, a tighter fit to prevent them slipping off, and apparently they hold air better...) Probably about R400-R600 each.

2) Convert your normal rims using the Ghetto method, for which you need:

2.1) 2x BMX (20") tubes (R25 each)

2.2) 1x Stans sealant 450ml (about R180)

Then do this: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/85475-ghetto-tubeless-conversion-pictures/page__hl__ghetto

It took me about an hour, and a little bit of effort. The longest part is actually cutting away the spare bit of tube sticking out afterwards!

T-Girl, I recently made the jump after having MTBs with normal tubes since 1989. I did it the semi-cheap way:

1) Buy some UST tires (they have thicker and stronger sidewalls, a tighter fit to prevent them slipping off, and apparently they hold air better...) Probably about R400-R600 each.

Then do this: http://www.thehubsa....age__hl__ghetto

It took me about an hour, and a little bit of effort. The longest part is actually cutting away the spare bit of tube sticking out afterwards!

I 2nd that, be very carful.

Your budget will dictate which wheels you buy. Buy the best you can afford.

Tyres: get maxxis crossmarks, monorails or a combination of the two in UST from chris willemse cycles for R350 each. They are great in most conditions, except for mud, and they last long. Tyres that are great in mud suck in most other conditions.

Cwc has a 950ml bottle of stans on special for R180.

And the rims? Its possible to get some nice 2nd hand wheels off the hub, Someone was selling some new Stans rims for R1100. Budget will dictate unfortunatly. Tyres - hard to say. Ive not ridden with Michelins so cant comment, but the Conti are great, bit pricy( expect to pay up to R450/ tyre) Dont be conned into having to go full UST as these will be more expensive.

Where do you do most of your riding?

Rims are Mivic Xm apparently. Standard on my Anthem X3. Do most riding at Holla in Ballito or in the sugar cane; lots of muddy-wet rides lately!

I don't want to get tubeless if it won't make my bike lighter; have heard that the conversion kit adds quite a bot of weight.

Don't want to spend much more than R2k if possible...But I'm thinking thats not possible, drat :huh:

Then do this: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/85475-ghetto-tubeless-conversion-pictures/page__hl__ghetto

:blink:

uuuuuh...this sounds UBER complicated!

Lets bear in mind that my bike-mechanic-skills are pretty poor. Ok very poor! Like; when I (sometimes) clean my bike (properly) and remove the back wheel I battle to get it back on! :o

:blush:

Lets bear in mind that my bike-mechanic-skills are pretty poor. Ok very poor! Like; when I (sometimes) clean my bike (properly) and remove the back wheel I battle to get it back on! :o

Take it to the guys at Good2Go if need be - They can do it for you. Did you check what rims you have got?

post-13006-0-77515700-1296797633.jpg

Take it to the guys at Good2Go if need be - They can do it for you. Did you check what rims you have got?

Are they good at Good2Go?

I have Mavic Xm rims.

The guys are right, tubeless is the way forward...no it shouldn't make your setup heavier but it will make you a better rider since you can run lower pressure creating more traction and in turn making you go faster over/under/around tricky stuff. The other benefit is of course no more punctures.

If you don't know how or don't want to try...go to zululand cycles....very lekker okes, they will do the conversion quick stix and wont rip you off. True story...forgot my shoes in dec 2009 and badly wanted to ride holla, owner of zululand sorted me out with a pair of his own for my holiday. I make a point of buying something every year I am down there for dec.

The conversion can also be done using special rim tape to seal the spoke holes, as opposed to the rubber rim strip, which is a bit more of a hassle and not everyone has had positive experience with. With the rim tape you need a valve stem as well.

Take a look on Stan's No Tubes web site, there's lots of info there and some videos. I have used his rim tape, sealant and valve stems, and its been great, no problems. If you not going to DIY, find a bike shope or tech who can help you but you must tell them the specs and method of the conversion. Go with UST tyres, although some use non-UST for weight advantages, the UST are the right thing to use.

If you really want to skim a few hundred g's off ur wheels have a look at the ZTR rims (also from Stan's)

Check out CWC online for decent prices on tyres, the Conti Race King (back) and Mountain King (front) are a popular combination

Edited by kosmonooit