cyclist killed in Allandale rd

steve

I'm sorry to say it but break the mirror, dent the door. The people who obey the law are the victims.

I have ridden in downtown London in rush hour - I even road no hands over London bridge snapping away with my camera (ok very silly) without people intimidating me because that is what it is.

In my first year in GP I was clipped twice and finally brought down on the third time (6.30am in Sandton) by a car doing 70km/h crossing 3 lanes to do it. He made sure I was still alive (ie still moving) and drove off.

This as you well know is standard practice here. Thanks to the security guards who pulled me off the road and f-u to the car drivers who were trying to run me over, you try moving with a freshly torn adductor, cracked rib and road rash!

On average, in all other countries I have lived or stayed I have been brought down once evey 5 years (for me that is once ever 72,000 km, on average  I do 1,200 km per month) which I think is a fair smack down to kms average.

Our only hope is now that the government is committing it's self to distributing heaps of bikes we will have safety in numbers. 

BTW, in France cars will stop at an intersection and just sit there until you are safely through the intersection, whether you are supposed to stop or not! They treat cyclist of all abilities like heros, very weird at first. I thought a guy was giving me some stick one day when he drove up beside me on a climb until I figured out he was just saying alle alle!

In Austria I could of sworn we were surrounded by force fields, the cars kept so far from you when they passed.

In the UK you can tell they want to kill you but for the most part they keep well away from you because there are cameras everywhere, even out in the countryside in places and they will get caught and actually done too.

In NZ I used to train in the dark in the mountains at night no worries. Yes there are hot heads there but pull your mobile out and a cop will be there in 5 to 10 minutes and another will be with the car that was giving you grief asking if you would like to press charges.

Sorry to rant, what I am trying to say is it's not like this everywhere else. To be a cyclist in SA you have to be tough, hard and crazy!!!
Kiwi2007-11-02 03:35:41

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

feel better now' date=' kiwi?

that's why it's called rant 'n rave, dudeClap
[/quote']

Ignore him kiwi, he does go away!!!! BUT not oftenLOLWinkClap

This is very sad. Kiwi, taking on a motorist in SA could get you killed. Read Adele's editorial in this month's Ride mag. The root cause is the general lack of adherance to the rules of the road by many road users and alas I believe that many who drove responsibly before, have followed the example of the taxis using every bit of space, on or off the road to get through the traffic. Until we see real commitment to road traffic law enforcement, we need to be verrrry careful. Being in the right is one thing, being dead right, well....

I have succombed to doing my weekly training indoors and if I can get away do one ride out on a Wed morning. Otherwise I ride go out only on the weekends. But still no guarantees. Graham Cooper died on the weekend.

Yesterday's tragedy should be a reminder to any cyclist who may be a bit complacent. Let's be careful out there.

Yeah much better now HR' date=' thanks!!! Back out 5.30am tomorrow then (sigh)

[/quote']

good to hear.

but don't sigh. you do that, and riding becomes a mission, a burden. rather go out and envision an incident-free ride, instead of thinking awful thoughts about what could possibly go wrong.

sorry if i'm coming over a bit like dr phil ? LOL

feel better now' date=' kiwi?

that's why it's called rant 'n rave, dudeClap
[/quote']

Ignore him kiwi, he does go away!!!! BUT not oftenLOLWinkClap

and not for too long at any one timeLOL

Absolutely right, how many times have you thought well if he's gonna go through the red light on the wrong side of the road then so will I...

And I agree with the turn the other cheek philosophy to - I have been surrounded by 6 taxi drivers so I know what you mean!

But also if some one knows they are going to get a hard time for cutting you up they will generally think twice before doing it again...

Or maybe shoot you.

It's a loose loose situation so do you do what's right or cower?

After having visited Gauteng for about 3 months this year Wink

and travelling to Midrand every morning, i honestly do not know how the devil you guys cycle in JHB. It is beyond me.

Like Racman said a while ago, it is an extreme sport in JHB. So dangerous and motorists are nuts.

They floor it wherever they go. Pushing the limits. Your freeway looks like a runway with all the lock up tire marks.

and the traffic all day is crazy. Riding a bike in JHB, no way, maybe mtb cos their at least ur off the roads but road racer, my hat goes off to you, i don't know it it's guts or nuts.

I would just quit and find another hobby, like WOW.

Racing Heart if i were you i would of torn off his mirror, i train on the potch road and it scares me when i see how people behave around cyclist they just dont give a S*** ABOUT US. Cars just pass other cars and just dont care if you are approaching from the front,about 3 weeks ago a car came from the front and passed another car, i grabbed my water bottle and threw it at him. 1.Water bottle = 1.Toyota without a mirror. Out of the whole car i threw the mirror right off and then the guy wanted to moer me but eventually he drove away.So we have got to stick up for ourselves even if it is not in the best manner

we as cyclist really should start riding in the middle of the road..see how the people moan then..and tell them is anyway illegal to ride in the inside the yellow line..

today I was riding deep inside the yellow line and a fancy GOLDEN BLING BLING BMW came so close of clipping me with his mirror..I had to stop my self of not braking down his mirror at the next robot

Going down Blaauwberg road on 2 Sundays ago, a taxi came past me and 3 youngsters and.................stops right in front of us to pick up someone. I stopped and re-arranged his side mirror and told the kids not to follow my example! But I got satisfaction.

Sorry for hijack

Hi Kiwi nice to see you on the hub, looking forward to you joining our club soon.(NH)

Condolences to the family, I am trying to get clarity from Metro about the yellow line issue and cyclists in Gauteng but you get sent from pillar to post, nobody wants to take accountability.

Condolences to Family & Friends.

I have also been hit on this stretch of road, while cycling in the emergency lane up towards K101 at 7:30am in bumper to bumper morning traffic. A @#$%^ taxi decided to use the emergency lane as a quick escape to turn left to Woodmead. Fortunately I was only left with road rash and a rather close view of said taxi's for tyre cm's from my head. Bike was also trashed
slckrb2007-11-02 01:24:15

Very sad indeed. I drove past the accident on my way home yesterday. That road is one of my regular Sunday morning routes but luckily it is very quiet, virtually no cars. I would never attempt that stretch during the week.CAADman2007-11-02 01:34:13