Eldron's new race rig..

Eldron

Eldron, why did you turf Kermit? Better frame IMHO.

Two reasons:

Kermit was getting on a bit and I wanted a new bike.

Kermit's front end was a bit "loose". Perhaps it's the shorter wheelbase, 15mm through axle or tapered steerer tube but the Giant is much "snappier" than the Air 9 into and out of turns.

When I bought Kermit he was the cutting edge of 29er design but I feel Niner have lagged a bit technology wise. They seem to be doing tech work on the duallies but the AIR and EMD are stagnating.

If Niner brought out a new hydroformed, tapered steerer short wheel base Air 9 I would but it tomorrow. I almost bought a carbon but DAMN! they are expensive. And it meeses with my "no carbon on mtb" rule...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beaut bike.

Must confess to looking at th lawn as much as the bike.

I've just moved into a house for the first time.

405 sqm of lush green hell that I have to deal with every saturday. saw your lawn and thought someone has a lot more than me, i wonder if they suffer as much.

The lawn is a mess - I live in Benoni and it's been raining hectically for months. Everywhere you walk squelches - mowing is like a biathlon.

I have 16,000 sqm. It's a problem! I'm dead keen on building a pump track or bmx jump line soon....

Yeah, I swopped out the 100mm stem for a 60mm and flipped it to a negative angle and put the spacers on top.

There's the rub…I'm built for comfort not speed! :lol:

Loving my 9er… :thumbup:

I had the Niner set up that way but damaged the frame when my bars spun in a crash and dinged the top tube.

I've traded some roadie speed for some frame protection my not flipping the stem so the brakes/gears miss the top tube when you turn 'em.

Ahhh 29ers. They rock.

Cool,

did you go 10spd in the back?

Indeedy - all running gear is 10 spd XT dyna sys and brakes are XTR.

• 1 year later...

Just had a quick look at this thread and realised I was as good as my word - when Niner brought out their new hydroformed, tapered head tube Air 9 Alu I bought it. Once a Ninerd always a Ninerd!

The Air 9 looks great next to my goldorange Niner MCR...

Just had a quick look at this thread and realised I was as good as my word - when Niner brought out their new hydroformed, tapered head tube Air 9 Alu I bought it. Once a Ninerd always a Ninerd!

The Air 9 looks great next to my goldorange Niner MCR...

Where are the pics?!?

wonder where u got the inspiration for AC white wheels.. sweet setup though!

btw: when u coming to tame our tracks down here. I recall a certain discussion last year.. ;)

Edited by Capricorn

• 3 weeks later...

Where are the pics?!?

There ya go Jules. Clean, lined up and ready to ride (or drink beer in the case of the SS at SSWC!!).

@capricorn - I'll be in CT in June....with a TT bike. It's carbon but it does have 29er wheels and 23mm tyres - that should be plenty to handle those not technical cape mtb courses right? He he he.

post-2412-0-92632100-1332503360.jpg