Ride for Sight !!

Gobbo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

spinnekop, what happened going over the railway bridge going into leondale? I just saw the okes going down.

mmmm....that was where that dude's wheel came out......patato chip flying around!!

Then the crash 1km into the race through?!! the marshal?

Another BIG crash where Mr. Scheepers broke is wrist. GT's fork in HALF!

Hectic ek sê!!!!!!

Another BIG crash where Mr. Scheepers broke is wrist. GT's fork in HALF!

Hectic ek sê!!!!!!

Missed that, was that after the last water point?

I started in C4 and am very upset on what happened. I personally feel the race commissaries is in competent and blame him and also the persons who let the racing tandems start behind us - as already said what did they thinking of putting the AL with them sure they must have thought that they will caught us as the tandems obtain higher speed than a single bike. Back to the race commissaries - when he saw the racing tandems are going to caught us he should have drive up in front and ask us let the bunch pass and ride in front of us until the tandems and AL was in clear. I was one of the cyclists who immediately fall back and think it is just mercy from above that no cyclists were killed. Also big was my disappointment when we ride hard and sprint to the finished that the whole C4 is been disqualified!! Al my expenses for nothing (travelling, entry accommodation etc) (they told us that only the riders of C4 that went with the tandems will be disqualified). I hope in future they will look again into this category thing (C1- C4) as I think it is one of the stupidest ideas of CSA ever, how long before cyclist is going to be killed - because this big bunch riding is very, very unsafe on roads that are not close and traffic all over the show (At the Fast one Our bunch was also too big and it was very dangerous as well. I can't tell you how p... off I am at this stage. I seriously am considering to only ride mountain bike

THE RACE COMMISSAIRES TRIED TO GET YOU BUNCH TO BEHAVE

1N THE FOLLOWING BUNCH APPEARED IN OUR MIRRORS 9YES, BIKES AND CARS HAVE MIRRORS) CALLS WERE MADE AND DUE TO SITUTATION MARSHAL (READ "ME") RODE FORWARD AND SCREAMED (WHO IS GONNA SAY I'M QUIET????) TO KEEP LEFT THE NEXT BUNCH IS PASSING. ODD THAT SOME (INCLUDING THOSE AT THE FRONT) HEARD AND THE REST OF THE C4 PEOPLE DIDN'T??????????????????? WTF??????????????? YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE AND SWEAR AT ME!!!!!!!!!!

YOU THEN CHOSE AGAINST INSTRUCTION TO JUMP IN WITH THE TANDEMS AND ALS AND F-UP THEIR RACE

YOU IGNORED BEING TOLD TO DROP BACK - MY BIKE IS ************ AND I AM COMMUTING TO WORK IN FEAR OF HAVING TO DO AN EMERGENCY BRAKE BECAUSE OF YOU BUNCH OF TWATS UNTIL I CAN FIX IT

I DIDN'T GO VISIT AN OLD FAMILY FRIEND WHO HAS NOW DIED OF CANCER - I AS ASKED TO MARSHAL 1 WEEK AGO... SECOND TIME I PUT KEEPING YOU BUNCH OF INGRATES AHEAD OF VIRPI... NOW SHE IS DEAD

AND ALL I READ IS "MARSHALS DIDN'T..." WHEN WE DID AND "COMMS DIDN'T" WHEN THEY DID

YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE IT

YOUR CHOICE

YOU

ALS HEARD THE INSTRUCTIONS

TANDEMS HEARD THE INSTRUCTIONS

YOU HEARD BUT CHOSE TO IGNORE THE INSTRUCTIONS

WHY SHOULD ANYONE MARSHAL FOR YOU?????

Hey Guys, Sometimes if the guys that have sour grapes use this site to moan.

Leave the racing teams alone and focus on the organisers!!!

A very very wise post this one..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

So......in 3 months CSA is going to sit down and decide if this is working or not....so what do they do??

The statement above is about as true as it comes and it's going to stay that way until CSA change the rules again.

So.

Why are there so many fast A bunch riders?

• $$$$$.....too much to pay for a license?
  • Too lazy to go try race licensed?
  • Dont want to get detected at dope controls?

Just asking......

I suspect it is about the money.

MY ANSWER: Two groups. Cat 1.......which is the guys that does it for a living...and the rest. The rest gets seeded A-ZZ. Same as Argus. Same as in the 80's. It worked....but CSA did not collect R375 from the fast guys.......mmmmmm <_<

Agree. If the tandems were not part of the A group they would have gone 5 minutes slower. Problems avoided!!!

First off....nope.....the boys can't cope....I think the bunch was a third of the size it was at the start? LOADS of crashes with inexperienced riders not being cautios enough.....That front pack is something to witness.....it moves the whole time.....it's a scary organism that smells of sweat and burning break dust. :lol:

Secondly......how to move from Cat 2 to 1?

You pay CSA.

Enter a team R1500-R2500 and you are in Cat 1.

$$$$$$$$ makes the world goes round.

Do the guys in Cat 1 all ride there DESERVINGLY according to ability? Nope.

Why are they so much faster?

Because all the Elite and fast Vet teams for 2010 rides there, leaving the rest of the field pretty much with nobody to work in the front of the group.....

Wait until the big races and CSA have done away with the U16 catagory and a whole bunch of kids are going to be in the mix, dangerous.

I think CSA need to get off their chairs and onto a bike (their own kids also put in the mix to) maybe if they experience the dangers they will see the stupidity of their decisions. Hell i would love to see the big wigs at CSA actually marshal at one of the intersections.

Based of Canadian Skiing (or something as moronic as that)what a bunch of plonkers.

We need people who understand cycling and those that actually give a F$#@ about the future of cycling, these guys are killing the chances of any of the kids going pro and boy are some of the kids fantastic.

snip snip snip

We need people who understand cycling and those that actually give a F$#@ about the future of cycling, these guys are killing the chances of any of the kids going pro and boy are some of the kids fantastic.

If not for the reasons given above then why do these guys in CSA have these jobs? Money (are these big paying jobs with super bonuses)..... power ....... what is it that keeps them there?

Just saying :unsure:

If not for the reasons given above then why do these guys in CSA have these jobs? Money (are these big paying jobs with super bonuses)..... power ....... what is it that keeps them there?

Just saying :unsure:

well seemingly not for the love of the sport, just look at all the mess ups of late............. CSA just pass the buck and shift blame. They are ultimately accountable but they just don't get it or they don't want to.

If they loved the sport they would put more energy and effort into it..........instead it appears as if everything including SA Champs was just slap dash!

So i would love to know why are they still hanging around!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe we should find out!

1N THE FOLLOWING BUNCH APPEARED IN OUR MIRRORS 9YES, BIKES AND CARS HAVE MIRRORS) CALLS WERE MADE AND DUE TO SITUTATION MARSHAL (READ "ME") RODE FORWARD AND SCREAMED (WHO IS GONNA SAY I'M QUIET????) TO KEEP LEFT THE NEXT BUNCH IS PASSING. ODD THAT SOME (INCLUDING THOSE AT THE FRONT) HEARD AND THE REST OF THE C4 PEOPLE DIDN'T??????????????????? WTF??????????????? YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE AND SWEAR AT ME!!!!!!!!!!

YOU THEN CHOSE AGAINST INSTRUCTION TO JUMP IN WITH THE TANDEMS AND ALS AND F-UP THEIR RACE

YOU IGNORED BEING TOLD TO DROP BACK - MY BIKE IS ************ AND I AM COMMUTING TO WORK IN FEAR OF HAVING TO DO AN EMERGENCY BRAKE BECAUSE OF YOU BUNCH OF TWATS UNTIL I CAN FIX IT

I DIDN'T GO VISIT AN OLD FAMILY FRIEND WHO HAS NOW DIED OF CANCER - I AS ASKED TO MARSHAL 1 WEEK AGO... SECOND TIME I PUT KEEPING YOU BUNCH OF INGRATES AHEAD OF VIRPI... NOW SHE IS DEAD

AND ALL I READ IS "MARSHALS DIDN'T..." WHEN WE DID AND "COMMS DIDN'T" WHEN THEY DID

YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE IT

YOUR CHOICE

YOU

Maybe you must read my post again and add yours at the right place - in the middle I said I did fall back immediately after the tandems caught us so adress your mail to the C4 riders that didn't

YOU CHOSE TO IGNORE IT

YOUR CHOICE

YOU

O and Mr slowpoke about the officials as mention, I still feel the same and stand by what I said about them in the race. I cycle now for almost 20 year competitive and was involve with almost all disciplines’ in cycling (organizing small to major events and with controlling event and on all types of committees) so I think I am capable to say what I said. I don't like to throw stones if it is not deserved and don’t like to criticize officials, organizers’ etc because I know firsthand what it take, but I was Sunday there and have experience it firsthand and have taken it up with Csa as well

Sounds like chaos at the race. I was in group CL, we caught VP and then the back of BL. Time for CL was fater than the time for BL. What happened to the correct seeding? I mean, this is a seeding race for next years Argus! WTF - some guys races like hell now and does no training for next years Argus (2012) and is then seeded in B and gets dropped and gets in the way of the other groups. Seeding for races should be effective immediately, just like the handicap system in golf.

And what give with starting a VIP group with the fast riders. Just cause thay want to start early..... really not a good idea. When we caught VP the group was way to big and VP guys did not want to drop back to keep the VP group as one.

Besides all that, WTF is up with guys taking their water bottle and then stretching their arm out before drinking. And then doing the same when replacing the bottle in the cage? in a race I really do not want to know when you are taking a drink. Some guy nearly knocked me off my bike when he stuck his arm out with the water bottle into my face.

Anyhow, I had a great ride. Thanks guys.

Cycfan, as Joe Low said... it's MS

your complaint is that the officials and marshals did not stop the bunch or separate them... as i have stated previously attempts to do this tried and failed due to C4 riders deliberately blocking hte marshals and comm vehicles getting past and REFUSING to back off OR stop despite instructions to do so.

the AL tandem group had been behind "civilian" vehicles so they were only seen when they were a couple of hundred meters back. that is when an attempt was immediately made to get the C4s to hold back and let the passing bunch go... when a C4 rider having heard this slipstreamed me and swung out to my right into the AL tandem bunch. the rest of the C4 bunch took one look at him and did likewise, ingoring me completely. what should i have done - ride over the idiot and cause a crash? you'd have had a right to complain had i done that.

when the C4 race was cancelled i and the other marshal again at the instruction of the comms moved up the entire length of the bunch to advise accordingly and to confirm to the comms in front that we had done so. this is when we were both sworn at. what should have happened then - should the front comms have slammed anchors and seen how many cyclists could fly over her bakkie?????

the other marshal and i then dropped back (i did so by leaving the tar and i suspect this is when my bike got damaged) and we advised the rear comms of what had transpired. he then said to help get him to the front of the bunch. at this stage the riders refused to let us past - they were enjoying a photo moment (another issue - cyclists, be it on bicycles or not, don't seem to understand that constant hooting means "get out the way" - any thoughts on how to deal with this or should we just ride straight over them?). the comm was shouting out his car for the C4s to drop out of the bunch - he was also subjected to foul language by more than one rider.

IE EVERY EFFORT SHORT OF DELIBERATELY CAUSEING PHYSICAL HARM WAS TAKEN TO FIRST GET THE C4S OUT OF THE BUNCH IN ORDER TO RESUME THEIR RACE AWAY FROM THE OTHES AND THEN WHEN THAT FAILED EVERY SAFE EFFORT WAS MADE TO GET TEHM TO STOP BECAUSE THEY HAD BEEN DISQULIFIED.

so criticism of the C4 officials is not warranted in any way shape or form.

ps marshals do not make ANY race related decisions. the only decisions we may take are those directly related to road safety (ie to block vehicles at an intersection and then leap frog the bunch etc) decisions re holding a bunch back or disqualifying a bunch/rider are entirely the responsibility of the comms. the marshals merely convey this. in fact, 99% of anything we ever say to you is at direct request of the comms (ie comm will call us to window and say "get the cars past now" - then we get the cars past and tell you as we're doing so that cars are passing. SO this means that when you swear at us you are swearing at the comms... no wonder the comm got so annoyed, especially cos he heard you lot swearing at us.

From your comment I am sorry to hear what happen to you as mention I gave my view how I experienced it and as said I was one of the first to fall back and did not know what happen in front because I did not see any marshal or comm's after we did fall back. I also still feel the same about the comms because if they did their work right nothing of this unhappiness would have occurred. Let me explain (and yes maybe I am wrong) When the comms of the tandems saw they are going to catch us he should have contact our comms beforehand and told her/him that they are going to catch us soon and to slow us down and inform us to kept left and let the tandems and AL pass us. In many races I have ridden this exactly happen and it works every time. But Sunday nothing informed us that another bunch is going to catch us which were a big surprise. I still feel if the comms did their work right from the start it was not necessary for you to do anything - and I really appreciate your effort, but think they did put your life in danger un necessary. Also to the organizer who let the tandems start behind us - and with a 6 min gap and the Al with them we all know now it was a big mistake. What make me still un happy was that I did everything according to the rules and still get disqualified. And yes the C4 in front deserve to be disqualified and maybe discipline as well but as try to explain to the comms after the race (and were given a deaf ear) why penalised those that did adhered to the request/rules?

Besides all that, WTF is up with guys taking their water bottle and then stretching their arm out before drinking. And then doing the same when replacing the bottle in the cage? in a race I really do not want to know when you are taking a drink. Some guy nearly knocked me off my bike when he stuck his arm out with the water bottle into my face.

Anyhow, I had a great ride. Thanks guys.

By the sounds of things I'm so glad I didn't do this race & yes, what is the story with people stretching their arms out to the side with their bottles before they take a slurp?

The last time someone did this next to me I said "no thanks" - thought he was offering me a drink.

The last time someone did this next to me I said "no thanks" - thought he was offering me a drink.

:lol: :lol: