• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper bike setup is only necessary if you wanna be :

1 : comfortable on ur bike

2 : efficient when peddling the beast

in all other cases don't bother .

Hmm, I'm not sure. I guess if you are comfortable on your bike, and arn't experiencing any problems, then probably not. I guess the bike shop should have made an effort at the time of selling you the bike to make sure it is set up properly. Interestingly, it seems like only Cycle Lab offer a dedicated set up service (they charge R450 if its not a new bike from them)...

(they charge R450 if its not a new bike from them)...

#*@K

Well I guess, I'll have to carry on riding with a sore back ;-)

smileys/smiley4.gif

I agree with the above....Comfort & Pedalling Efficiency....I was not happy with my set-up..it felt like the reach to the brake hoods & drops were too far/saddle height was perfect.... this after 2 attempts at 2 different lbs.. .... after reading some books etc I decided to try a DYI .... a few attempts and long rides later I feel my set-up now is ideal.

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Red you don't have to do the R450 thing . There are a lot about doing bike setup on the web and they do actually work . With a tape measure and bit of brain power you can do it .

Hi

Have a chat with Arran Brown from Cycle Fit ( 072 566 2925) ,he personally does the set-up for you at a much cheaper rate than most set-up centres. I have had 15 set-ups done by him for my club and not one come back as yet, There is an improvement in your riding after a proper set-up is done  

(they charge R450 if its not a new bike from them)...

#*@K

Well I guess' date=' I'll have to carry on riding with a sore back ;-)
[/quote']

You can also refer to the cyclingnews.com website Fitness Q and A section

www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2006/letters07-10

All the articals from the the most current to a few years ago are available. If you have the time you can find some very usefull information regarding bike set, sore backs ect.....

There is a gentleman there called Steve Hogg who provides all sorts of usefull set tips and solutions for a variety of bike fit problems.

Rather dont carry on with a sore back, you should try and resolve the problem which could be more than just bike set up issue. Generally these problems dont go away by themselves.

Whilst we on the topic, does anyone have advice for setting up a mountain bike? My dad has given me his old Kona, and it has a much more aggressive setup than my Schwinn. I'm fairly happy with the ride (been on one 16km ride smileys/smiley9.gif), but I'm concerned that I'm too far over the front wheel. When in a riding position, if I look down, I can see the front hub closer than the handlebars (so much so that I look straight down the front shock!)

Advice?

Wasn't the  ;-)  an indication that I wasn't being seriaaaas about the sore back

But thanks for your concerns.

MichH......... move the seat back smileys/smiley2.gif

Hi all

Arran charges R250-00 per set-up all inclusive takes around 1 1/2 hours to complete .

Hmm' date=' I'm not sure. I guess if you are comfortable on your bike, and arn't experiencing any problems, then probably not. I guess the bike shop should have made an effort at the time of selling you the bike to make sure it is set up properly. Interestingly, it seems like only Cycle Lab offer a dedicated set up service (they charge R450 if its not a new bike from them)...[/quote']

Speak to my mate Colin Germs - just don't suggest that the Club pays for it smileys/smiley36.gif

Joberg_Red, the problem is the other way round (hard to explain online). I'm not looking over the handlebars, but under them. That means that the steering seems too "twitchy" (don't you love these scientific definitions?!). I feel like the angle from my handlebars to the front hub is too perpendicular.

Anyway, not sure what to change, if it needs changing. The Schwinn is very laid back in handling, not sure if the new bike is right or not...

Wasn't the  ;-)  an indication that I wasn't being seriaaaas about the sore back

But thanks for your concerns.

MichH......... move the seat back Click on image to open in new window

[/quote']

Oi should not jest about sore smileys/smiley18.gif backs - Least it attracts murphy?..smileys/smiley2.gif

Move the saddle back - Not necessarily the correct adjustment, whilst the saddle could be to far forward, and is the simplest to adjust, if your saddle position is presently correct then you do not want to move it back.

Check your stem length. Usually men (the bike did belong to your Dad) would have a longer stem than women, resulting in your bars being to far forward.

The old "bars over the front hub" rule is a very basic set up guide, having the bars slightly forward of the hub does have its benefits.

I can personally recommend Arron at Cycle Fit.

He set me up on both my road bikes which has made a huge difference to my riding. He knows what he is doing (used to do the fittings at Cycle Lab), and is a really great guy. He works out of a house in Emmarentia.

Charged me R350 i think to do both bikes and took about 2 & 1/2 hours.

Give him a ring on the number posted above or mail him at mettech1@global.co.za.

Good luck...