26" vs 29"

KnobbyMech

No rant from Knobby here, just rave.

I am a late bloomer to the 29er world and only got my 1st 29er this month. Were not convinced I would enjoy the 29 hardtail more than my trusty AnthemX 26'' dual. Still felt the same way after my first couple of rides and decided the Anthem will remain my race weapon of choice...

That was untill I took both bikes to Rietvlei Mtb park this weekend. Man that 29er is awesome!

After taking on sharp corners (especially on downhill corners) with the 26" after I went there with the 29er I realize that I control the 29er much better through the corners and have much better balance resulting in a faster exit through despite the so called sluggish accelleration of the bigeer wheels.

Pushing hard on flat twisty singletrack, the 26 was more responsive, but I felt I was about to loose the front wheel any second. I felt way more in control and relaxed with the biggy and could hold much tighter lines.

I now strongly believe that a marathon will be more enjoyable, less exausting, more fun and faster on the biggy. Let the upgrades begin. Loan anyone?

And rocks, what rocks?

Shoot!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope still not convinced.....going to wait another year or so and see when the hype dies down. After then i will make a rational call on going 29 or not. Just have a sneaking suspicion that guys are trying very hard to justify this 29er story but i could well be wrong. time will tell. In the meantime i will slum it out on my 26 full susser for now.

Nope still not convinced.....going to wait another year or so and see when the hype dies down. After then i will make a rational call on going 29 or not. Just have a sneaking suspicion that guys are trying very hard to justify this 29er story but i could well be wrong. time will tell. In the meantime i will slum it out on my 26 full susser for now.

Did you copy one of my tread replies from last year? Sounds just like me a year ago. I can promise you one thing...29er is not going to go away.

Not knocking your experience, glad that you have found a comfy combination of settings that suit your style, but can you confirm the same tyres, same tyre pressure, same bb height, same front shock and pressure, same headset angle between both bikes?

So there you have it! 29ers are for cyclists who don't know how to ride a 26er properly ;) :clap:

Haha, perhaps so, but that is like saying safety belts and airbags are for guys who cannot drive properly. ;)

guess thats why you got that Horatio avatar.

My analytical mind has a lot of issues to deal with, it's not easy. But I am planning to meet them half-way. I am first going to try just a 29er front wheel in a rigid fork.

Not knocking your experience, glad that you have found a comfy combination of settings that suit your style, but can you confirm the same tyres, same tyre pressure, same bb height, same front shock and pressure, same headset angle between both bikes?

Good and valid comment. For me it appears that the 29er thing is more than just about the size of the wheels.

But for comparison: Both Giant, Anthem X and XTC29er

Head and seat angles almost identical (71 vs 71.5 and 73 vs 72.5).

The set up (reach, saddle height, handlebar reach, handlebar width, seat posistion re bb, etc) all the same.

Tyre width and pressure the same, although not the same make, both front tyres with relative agressive thread pattern.

The bb on the XTC is lower than the Anthem's and it is also lower than the hub height thus giving it some pendulum effect stability. As I said before, the 29er thing is more than just about the size of the wheels. I felt it and I love it.

Edited by KnobbyMech

I have a 29er. In fact I have two. They are called road bikes.......

Rim size: True

Outer diamenter of tyre: Not true, more like a 26" mtb diameter

[[yawn]]

Apple vs Windows...here we go again.

Do people ever use the search function on this forum before creating new threads?

[[yawn]]

Apple vs Windows...here we go again.

Do people ever use the search function on this forum before creating new threads?

Stop being such a big baby wink.gif

I find the thread interesting & informative as I'm thinking of doing the same move at the end of the year and value the casual rider's opinion more than the sponsored rider who gets paid to endorse products.

Haha, perhaps so, but that is like saying safety belts and airbags are for guys who cannot drive properly. ;)

+1, Or like saying that a 29er is only for people who know that they have strong enough legs to get the big wheels moving....oh no sorry that is true!