the all mountain bike - myth or reality?

Redline

All-mountain is not a myth. I'm currently riding what I dreamt about a few years ago:

I'm currently riding my bike at 140mm on the front with an XC-style inverted 100mm stem. With a 80mm normal stem on it, it's a killer go-fast-DH rig. Unfortunately it's not cheap (you could build up one like mine with 2yr old SLX/XT parts, cheap wheels and a 2007 frame for about R16k), but damn I love it.

Rock on AM!

Cool bike, but it's not an AM by design. That Intense is a great great trailbike though.

I think guys here are getting confused with the classification of AM here. To some it seems it means "Do it all" kind of bike. It's not. AM bikes are defined by their frame geometry (normally around 67 degree head angle), around 160mm travel front and back, high volume shock, dual chainring with guide etc. AM terrain is not all about going down hills, it's about jumps, big drops and slamming through river beds and rock gardens.

I don't truly think there's the Swiss army knife of bikes out there yet, and it's purely because most bike's forms follow their intended functions. Sure, you can ride an 80km XC race on an AM bike, but would you want to? One could ride a DH rig too, but it would be like taking a pack horse to a derby. Rather, I think it's about choosing the best compromise between what you want to do. If I rode the Epic, I'd want a superlight 4 inch bike for the geometry. The long top tube and more upright headtube angle would greatly benefit the ride.

Also, I see the Meta 5.5 mentioned here as a bulletproof AM bike. It's not. It's a trail bike. And a damb fine one. Used in AM terrain though it's not up for it. I've heard of two frames breaking from big drops. The Meta 6 is an AM bike though, and if you compare the two you'll see the differences clearly.

Here's a great little clip of Chris Akrigg on Mongoose Khyber. The Khyber is a pedigreed AM rig. 67,5 degree head, 165mm front and back. See the type of riding it's designed for. http://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/1004024/khyber-session

Edited by grb285

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the Khyber's frame and linkages ain't that tough... kinda put me off..

Not too sure about that. Any links to photos or stories of these types of failures? Didn't look like Chris could break his, and that's the old model. The 2011 version has the tapered head tube and quite a few mods on that. Mongoose has a decent frame warranty regardless, as do most high end bike builders.

Not too sure about that. Any links to photos or stories of these types of failures? Didn't look like Chris could break his, and that's the old model. The 2011 version has the tapered head tube and quite a few mods on that. Mongoose has a decent frame warranty regardless, as do most high end bike builders.

no link - word of mouth from a dealer who had endless problems - granted it was with 1 particular bike so might have been the rider or a fluke

gonna contact obike and see if they have large khyber's or teocali's in stock, just in case. they have '09 models of both for roughly 12k

Edited by the_wes

no link - word of mouth from a dealer who had endless problems - granted it was with 1 particular bike so might have been the rider or a fluke

gonna contact obike and see if they have large khyber's or teocali's in stock, just in case. they have '09 models of both for roughly 12k

I wouldn't worry about that. I've had both models and they are both excellent choices, but very different bikes. You need to try and test ride both and decide if you go that route. If you're going to be mostly riding trails with the odd DH mission here and there, a couple jumps etc, go for the Teocali. It can handle a lot of abuse, but it's lighter than the Khyber. You'll be able to spend longer days in the saddle and cover greater distances. If your riding errs more on the side of FR/DH with the odd hill climb here and there then Kyhber it.

That deal on Obike looks excellent, especially for the Khyber Super. Besides the wheels, which are good albeit a bit heavy, the parts kit looks awesome. For R13k it'd be hard to beat, and thats still got a warrantee on it. A second hand bike has none.

I only saw the Khyber elite? Where did you see the Super?

My riding is more trail > all-mountain than it is all-mountain > freeride. I ride with recreational XC guys a lot - we take the climbs easy and then I bomb the descents to the best of my ability and wait at the bottom. Favourite trails - Jonkershoek's gnarly rocky singletrack, Contermanskloof's blue and lower black routes, that sort of thing. Downhill? Not really - maybe at some point I'll ride some light downhill - I've ridden stuff like G-spot on my hardtail but there are no major jumps or drops there that you need to commit to.

As such, I am thinking 140mm travel bike is going to be the best all-rounder. So far, the options I am considering are:

- 2010 Trance X going on here for +- 13k. Cons: shorter travel, Pros: best parts spec of all the bikes I'm looking at, and fairly new. Might slap a 140mm fork on the front later.

- 2007 Commencal Meta 5.5 for the bargain price of 6.5k. Cons: a bit banged up (though I must say, it seems to be cosmetic, there is NO play whatsoever in any of the linkages, I've fiddled with it a lot) and crappy front fork - conversion to Rock Shox Sektor with through axle and a new hub will bring the bike's total price to about 11k. Pros: I really like these, have ridden it around the parking lot and it feels good, like how the suspension feels on neutral ground and the parts are decent - new X7 deraillers, stylo cranks, x7 shifters, etc. plus the current fork can be flogged.

- 08 Khyber or 09 Teocali from obike: only IF they have my size (not listed on the site). Cons: not nuts about either to be honest, Pros: both seem to be decent rigs with a decent parts spec, and will be bought brand new with warranty.

No matter what I go for, bottom line as someone said to me the other day, no matter what I go for: "it's better than what i have" :blush:

Edited by the_wes

so, not to hijack Stev0's topic. Wes got me thinking that I am not to old for downhill :)

Talking to bike shops, they recommend spending 20k on proper dh bike. that is a bit much.. so to investigate other options:

the "all mountain bike" is a myth. any jump, or big rock or similar requires a very low seat height, otherwise the seat kicks you over the bars.

you need a high seat for XC for proper leg extension and comfort. so just taking those two factors into account it is not possible. right?

so is the only option then a soft-tail with a seat drop device?

Just came across this, maybe check it out...

knyber

This is my ride. The name says it all: "Giant AC". I love this bike, they should never have stopped making them. People have used these bikes for everything from full on DH with triple clamp forks to XC. Depending on the model the travel was adjustable from around 4.5 inches to 6.7 inches(mine only has 5.3 or 6.7 though)

This bike was given to me by a friend who moved overseas and couldnt take it with. It weighed 17kg's and felt like a trampoline with its giant branded rear shock and cheap Manitou 150mm travel fork. I replaced all the parts with parts from my GT Zaskar and bought a second hand Manitou rear shock. The SPV platform makes a huge difference to pedaling efficiency. Currently the rear is set to 5.3 inches travel but I am looking upgrade to a longer travel fork and will then increase the rear travel to 6.7 inches.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/P6050116.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/P6050118.jpg

This is my ride. The name says it all: "Giant AC". I love this bike, they should never have stopped making them. People have used these bikes for everything from full on DH with triple clamp forks to XC. Depending on the model the travel was adjustable from around 4.5 inches to 6.7 inches(mine only has 5.3 or 6.7 though)

This bike was given to me by a friend who moved overseas and couldnt take it with. It weighed 17kg's and felt like a trampoline with its giant branded rear shock and cheap Manitou 150mm travel fork. I replaced all the parts with parts from my GT Zaskar and bought a second hand Manitou rear shock. The SPV platform makes a huge difference to pedaling efficiency. Currently the rear is set to 5.3 inches travel but I am looking upgrade to a longer travel fork and will then increase the rear travel to 6.7 inches.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/P6050116.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/P6050118.jpg

Cool bike. You need to go out and get that longer travel fork asap!! These AC's become very restless when they don't get air time. Hurry hurry!

Fleming

Do you not find that you bend seat posts on that bike? Awesome build by the way, great attention to detail!

Fleming

Do you not find that you bend seat posts on that bike? Awesome build by the way, great attention to detail!

Thanks.

The bike came with a 27.2mm post with a shim taking it up to 30.8mm (or 30.9mm, cant remember)which made me a little nervous. Apparently it came like that from the factory which just seems dumb. I changed it straight away to a thicker one and threw out the shim. Havent had any problems and I weigh a little under 90kg.

So I took the Commencal! Purchased a brand new Rock Shox Sektor fork for it, and it's getting some of the components from my bike as well. When we're done pick'n'mixing, the final build will look like this:

Commencal Meta 5.5

Rock Shox Monarch rear shock

Rock Shox Sektor fork, coil u-turn 110-150mm, w/ 15mm through axle

Giant 60mm stem

Truvativ BooBars (20mm rise, 780mm width)

Lizard Skins Peaty grips

Truvativ Stylo cranks - being converted to 2 blade with Truvativ bash guard

DMR V12 pedals

Sram X7 front derailler

Sram X7 rear derailler

Sram X7 shifters

Avid Juicy 5 brakes

Alex SupraBH rims w/ DT Swiss spokes

Giant 15mm front hub / Formula rear hub

Ritchey 2-bolt seat post

Fizik Zeak saddle

LBS is building, picking it up tomorrow :clap:

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Nice one Wes, sounds like you are going to be able to throw down some whoop ass on that puppy!

Looking forward to the inaugrable ride, maybe you should have a "All Mountain Bike - no longer myth but REALITY" celebratory ride with some hubbers....