Contador - CAS ruling. (All things Contador/doping - merged)

sychosid

More...

Contador’s spokesman confirms that he’s been cleared of Clenbuterol doping charges

by Shane Stokes at 11:43 AM EST

Categories: Pro Cycling, Doping

Rider likely to return to competition tomorrow in Volta ao Algarve

Alberto Contador’s spokesman has issued a statement confirming that the rider has been cleared of charges of doping.

“Alberto Contador has been officially cleared by the Royal Spanish Cycling Federation and has been authorized to return to competition immediately,” said Jacinto Vidarte. “If everything goes well, the rider will take the start, tomorrow, at the Volta ao Algarve.”

His lawyer Andy Ramos had earlier confirmed the news to Cope.es, saying that he received the RFEC decision this morning.

With the decision, the RFEC effectively considers that the rider was not culpable for the Clenbuterol in his system. Contador had tested positive on the second rest day of the 2010 Tour de France, which he won.

Contador has been named as part of the Saxo Bank SunGard team for the Volta ao Algarve, which he won last year. He is apparently intending to ride the Giro d’Italia before the Tour de France.

The UCI and WADA are both entitled to appeal the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and have previously indicated that they will do so if they are unhappy with the RFEC decision. It is thought likely that such an action will be taken.

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani confirmed to VeloNation several minutes ago that the governing body has not yet received official confirmation, and therefore couldn’t comment.

WADA is yet to reply to a request for its own reaction. Both can be expected later today.

It is thought that WADA’s recent decision not to appeal the clearing of German table tennis player Dmitrij Ovtcharov was a factor in the RFEC’s deliberation of the case. There are differences in the case, though, as Ovtcharov was competing in China where there are greater incidences of Clenbuterol use. He also provided hair samples to help show his case was not a deliberate one.

Most cases of Clenbuterol positives in sport either result in a one or two-year ban, depending on whether or not the sportsperson concerned can prove they didn’t intend to ingest the substance.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7445/Contadors-spokesman-confirms-that-hes-been-cleared-of-Clenbuterol-doping-charges.aspx#ixzz1E39EJ1S3

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke! Contador cleared of charges. Let's hope the uci has the balls to take him down. Cycling has such little credibility left. Very sad.

Oh, one more thing!

Last we heard Li Fuyu's ban could have been reduced if AC only got a one year ban - http://news.google.co.za/news/url?sa=t&ct2=en_za%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&ct3=MAA4AEgAUABgAWoFZW5femE&usg=AFQjCNFtYqiB0c6bLqWNMNAQ_ZItcc85Cg&sig2=SmsC41EBzLiiu0lfftzQcA&cid=8797650558539&ei=dbxaTdimL43LkAWUrq-7AQ&rt=SEARCH&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyclingweekly.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flatest%2F514162%2Fli-may-get-two-year-ban-for-clenbuterol-reduced.html

What happens now? Far reaching consequences!

I'm no lawyer but the UCI will be very careful of setting a president here. In future, everyone will get off based on this case! C'mon McQuaid, speak up, we're waiting...

The year is 1998. The first team kicked out is Festina. Then ONCE and Banesto and Risco Scotti. A few days later Kelme leaves, and then Vitalicio Seguros, and then TVM. I think I got the order right.

There are big names involved. France's darling Virenque and champion Jalabert.

As a result Coca Cola pulls it's sponsorship.

Despite all this a doper wins.

I remember it. Did some of the teams not pull out in protest about police raids on their hotels?

I'm pro cycling needs another shake of the cage like that imo. A lot of money will go out, and it will take a long time to recouver, but the peleton is still full of dopers, it will be worth it.

So he is cleared then.?

If the Spanish cycling federation have said they are happy in my opinion the UCI / WADA should all just move on and forget about it.

All this back and forth sensationalism is just bad publicity - a firm decision was made by a controling body - respect it and move along.!

So he is cleared then.?

If the Spanish cycling federation have said they are happy in my opinion the UCI / WADA should all just move on and forget about it.

All this back and forth sensationalism is just bad publicity - a firm decision was made by a controling body - respect it and move along.!

Yes, but both the UCI and WADA can appeal the outcome. So far no word from either of them. Apparently he is already starting to race today in the Tour of Algarve in Portugal.

Interesting thing, heard on the radio that in his pres conference he confirmed that he will be racing the Giro but did not want to say anything about the Tour de France... weird :unsure:

Yes, but both the UCI and WADA can appeal the outcome. So far no word from either of them. Apparently he is already starting to race today in the Tour of Algarve in Portugal.

Interesting thing, heard on the radio that in his pres conference he confirmed that he will be racing the Giro but did not want to say anything about the Tour de France... weird :unsure:

They've said they will study the findings and decide whether or not to appeal. Thing is, will ASO invite invite them to the Tour?

They've said they will study the findings and decide whether or not to appeal. Thing is, will ASO invite invite them to the Tour?

Another good question in this soap-opera-like drama. I remember reading an article a while back saying that even if Contador is banned Saxo Bank may still use his UCI points to "qualify" for races. However, whether the ASO will just not invite them out of principle is another story...

Another good question in this soap-opera-like drama. I remember reading an article a while back saying that even if Contador is banned Saxo Bank may still use his UCI points to "qualify" for races. However, whether the ASO will just not invite them out of principle is another story...

Which could drag out things even further. Remember - was it 2009? - when Boonen's inclusion/exclusion went down to the wire with a court ruling almost on the eve of the race?

ha ha, it says their were times he cried and now he is becoming a vegetarian, what a hoot!

Hope he gets dead wheeled in some strong cross winds and stale muffins in his food bag - BAH!

Hope Nibali gives him a hiding at the Giro this year

ha ha, it says their were times he cried and now he is becoming a vegetarian, what a hoot!

Hope he gets dead wheeled in some strong cross winds and stale muffins in his food bag - BAH!

Hope Nibali gives him a hiding at the Giro this year

Yup, he said in one of his statements that he hasn't touched beef since the result of his test came out. He's only been eating pork and chicken. Bit ridiculous if you ask me...