Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

post-6012-0-67876100-1336224451.jpg

post-6012-0-09887700-1513874385_thumb.jpg

(This all started with the post in red below.
Since then I've used this thread to update on the trails at VG.
I'm in no way affiliated with VG.
I just love the place.)

Rode a "new" trail at VG that was so awesome...i had to share.
well, it,s newish hence the ""
up the concrete road and over the other side to Pofadder, but instead of taking Pofadder you stick left and go over the steel ramp at the fence and onto awesomeness...... beautiful flowing singletrack all the way down to the river (some of this was used for the Nissan last year)

you then get to the gravel road that takes you over the hill from the Skeerpoort side to satellite road and instead using the gravel road there's single track up on the left that has a 8m drop at some points...hectic!!! but so amazing!!

the highlight however was that we got to do half of this ride with Eric.
I love that man!!
he has so much passion!!
and thanks to him we have all these amazing trails out in that area ...

Edited by L.T.G

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks that's pretty much the shorter route from the Nissan event late last year. The bit I really liked was the ride through the hidden valley after that first climb (going cw) and the bit I really didn't like (and body planted into rock garden) was the rough downhill after that.

In the knowledge that the route is still open, I think I should revisit and sort that downhill out!

Thanks that's pretty much the shorter route from the Nissan event late last year. The bit I really liked was the ride through the hidden valley after that first climb (going cw) and the bit I really didn't like (and body planted into rock garden) was the rough downhill after that.

In the knowledge that the route is still open, I think I should revisit and sort that downhill out!

yip , a lot is what was used for that route, but there's a whole bunch of new stuff too.... like the crazy cliff edge single track!

Going to give it a bash again next weekend!

That, then Oom Piet's and then the Greek church and finish off along the newer River Trail....

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't been on the "old" rivertrail since the December devastation .. till today.

Erik's put a couple new bridges up and a lot has been cleared... in some places so much so, it looks like a four lane highway , so much debris was removed...

anyway point the wanted to make is, the rivertrail after passing under the concrete bridge in the direction BACK to the farmhouse is still by far the single most amazing piece of singletrack for me... so much flow and rhythm!

you can reach stupid speeds on it... you just need be careful of oncoming traffic.

#ecstasy@vangaalens

post-6012-0-24943200-1299351754.jpgpost-6012-0-96379700-1299351749.jpg

up the concrete road and over the other side to Pofadder, but instead of taking Pofadder you stick left and go over the steel ramp at the fence and onto awesomeness...... beautiful flowing singletrack all the way down to the river (some of this was used for the Nissan last year)

you then get to the gravel road that takes you over the hill from the Skeerpoort side to satellite road and instead using the gravel road there's single track up on the left that has a 8m drop at some points...hectic!!! but so amazing!!

the highlight however was that we got to do half of this ride with Eric.

I love that man!!

he has so much passion!!

and thanks to him we have all these amazing trails out in that area ...

Van Gaalens must be one of the best in SA. I did the Magalies Adventure there in 2010 and it was awesome. If you want to experience even more tracks there, do it.

Van Gaalens must be one of the best in SA. I did the Magalies Adventure there in 2010 and it was awesome. If you want to experience even more tracks there, do it.

Hey Aggies,

you're so right!

it's amazing!

I did the MA too!

already booked for this year's!

you MUST try do all the events, well as many as possible, there.

2nd of July is the Ladies Day fun ride.

it's heaps of fun, all for a good cause.

Rode it dressed as a pink fairy last year!

• 1 month later...

it's been there since forever and i only discover it TODAY?

so much of awesomeness, will have to spend a whole lot more weekends there :)