Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you're pretty high off the sand road at this point on the cliff trail... about 3 stories.

post-6012-0-35471800-1328195657.jpg

post-6012-0-94252400-1328195667.jpg

if you look carefully at the first pic you can see the barrier.

Edited by L.T.G

this, is looking back at the Magalies range after clearing the valley after the concrete road, before heading onto DaggaPad

post-6012-0-55975200-1328195807.jpg

The "little" trail you can see in the distance is Pafadder... not to be messed with

post-6012-0-94405500-1328195811.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

Aah the hidden valley! Looking awesome ..... think I might make a turn there this weekend.

Where does Pofadder go? Up and back down to the north to join that other route back from the bottom of the other side of Concrete Road? or does it traverse the ridge and head west?

Is it safe to just rock up and ride on the weekend by yourself?

Yes, but as with any outdoors excursion take the proper precautions.

- tell someone where you're riding.

- take your phone

- have proper tools and hydration

- note the emergency number

Aah the hidden valley! Looking awesome ..... think I might make a turn there this weekend.

Where does Pofadder go? Up and back down to the north to join that other route back from the bottom of the other side of Concrete Road? or does it traverse the ridge and head west?

Pretty spot on

you tranverse the ridge, west(amazing view) super technical, a bit of portaging involved, a mental zig zagging flat rock (very slipperey after rain) downhill and you evetually emerge at the end of the donga you'd do if heading in the opposite direction of DaggaPad after the CR, there where the "Wavy" scetion is.

Is it safe to just rock up and ride on the weekend by yourself?

Yes, but as with any outdoors excursion take the proper precautions.

- tell someone where you're riding.

- take your phone

- have proper tools and hydration

- note the emergency number

pretty much exactly what danger dassie said, the only thing that can really hurt you is yourself.

you do pass through numerous farms, so I'm just weary of dogs but in 3 years I haven't had a single incident.

70% of the riding i do at VG is alone.

Edited by L.T.G

Louis, I was under the impression and so where the guys I was with a couple of weeks ago (Swampdogs), that the 3rd pic in your 1st post as well as the pics in post 2 is in fact "daggapad".

Louis, I was under the impression and so where the guys I was with a couple of weeks ago (Swampdogs), that the 3rd pic in your 1st post as well as the pics in post 2 is in fact "daggapad".

Apologies if I've caused any confusion.

The 4th pic(post #10) from the start of this topic is the beginning of DaggaPad, the 2nd&3rd pics(post #8) are of the "CliffHanger" section well after DaggaPad.

which pics are you refering to?

Edited by L.T.G

• 1 month later...

hey guys, the trails at VG are in pristine condition! (river specifically)

Fast, smooth, flowing! decorated with leaves with the approach of autumn.

post-6012-0-07131700-1330940199.jpg

not sure if everyone knows but there's a floating bridge on the river trail too!

post-6012-0-12529200-1330940175.jpg

this is part of Kasaan, tricky little brige this!

post-6012-0-43976200-1330940310.jpg

this is along the river trail coming back to the Farmhouse

a real HR raiser!

post-6012-0-69873800-1330940353.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

Hi Guys, I have not yet MTB at Fun Gaalens or in that area. Don't have an GPS either, but would like to do some training for Joberg2C, Argus is done and dusted. So looking for about +100km of riding on a Saturday or Sunday. I have heard that you could join up with Breedt's neck from Fun Gaalens and back or a round about route, is this correct. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by OHIC

Hi Guys, I have not yet MTB at Fun Gaalens or in that area. Don't have an GPS either, but would like to do some training for Joberg2C, Argus is done and dusted. So looking for about +100km of riding on a Saturday or Sunday. I have heard that you could join up with Breedt's neck from Fun Gaalens and back or a round about route, is this correct. Any info would be appreciated.

I know you said you don't have a GPS unit, but you should be able to find some files of the VG to Breedts and back route on Garmin Connect, perhaps they'll give you an idea.it's pretty straight forward if I remember properly, never done it.. only been told... hope this helps.