Help me decide to move to Cape Town

Paul Robinson

OK I have a problem. My wife has just moved to Cape Town from UK for a job. She is settling in fine and work is looking good. The kids and I are coming out 11th to 25th April to check it out to make a decision about moving. She has an apartment just below Lions Head.

I race XC in the UK but I'm not up to marathons.

I'd like to check out the trails around Cape Town but topics like Table Mountain safety are a bit scary.

So where should I go? Tokai seems to feature in lots on sites. Where is the one spot that will really make me want to come and live in SA?

Should I hook up with some group rides?

Should I just book up with some tours?

Are there any races on around those dates?

As you can see I've got loads of questions and need loads of help. So your advice would be much appreciated.

Paul

Tokai is but one of many MTB spaces.

Google Tygerberg MTB club - fantabulous routes.

And Stellenbosch - 25 mins outside Cape Town. Great endless trails.

ALL DA BEST WITH THIS LIFE DECISION.

pm me and we will put you in touch with a few of our mtb'ers. they ride on the mountain every 2nd weekend as well as the 4 trails out our way (Edgemead - 10 k's as the crow flies from CT)

Eggs - way too old for you I'm afraid!

Fakes - exactly the problem really.

CCC - thanks, I'll be in touch.

Stellenbosch looks cool - seen Specialized videos of team training there and Ralph Naef seems to,like it too.

Where do I go for a one trip taster to convince me?

Hey, just make a note (i.e. for the record)

I believe I am the first to ask.

Could you please bring some biking stuff wif for me in your container? Promise nothing new and packaged. All used and second hand only.

Are prices really that bad? I keep reading about your CRC orders going missing. Better stock up now I suppose.

Any sensible suggestions for taster sessions out there?

Are prices really that bad? I keep reading about your CRC orders going missing. Better stock up now I suppose.

Any sensible suggestions for taster sessions out there?

There is more to CT than just the Riding :D , but Tokai would be a good port of call to start with.It has everything from pure distance grade (up to the mast :devil: ) and then the single track :drool: Easy to do a 40+ km ride there.

Prices can be on the bad side but CRC is just a few days away :D

Edited by leet22

Wanted to mention the weather is crap all the time, but then saw you're from mud island, so you'll be ok with that. :D

Try-out list of Cape Town (and surrounds) Mtb spots (in my order):

1. Tokai Forest/Sivermine - on the back of Table Mountain, 25 minutes from city centre - for tough climbing and some great technical single track, anything from full on downhill to little drops, jumps and berms. To make full use of it, be fit and technically proficient. Stunning views of the peninsula if you go all the way to the top. Gets a bit crowded on Saturday & Sunday mornings, so go early. See top left picture.

2. Contermans Kloof & Hillcrest - in the Durbanville Hills, 25 minutes from city centre - great flowing single track with views of Table Mountain and Table Bay, Hillcrest restaurant afterwards with the missus & kids. Also smack in between some super wine farms where you can stock up - Hillcrest itself, Nitida and Durbanville Hills. See lower left picture.

3. Jonkershoek - near Stellenbosch, 45 minutes from city centre - Great single track in pine forest and fynbos - coffee shops, restaurants and art galleries of the very beautiful town of Stellenbosch afterwards, and of course for buying even more wine from the zillions of cellars in the area. See top right picture.

4. Table Mountain/Deer Park - I hesitate recommending this one because we've had some muggings here lately, but it is right above the city centre and you will be able to ride from your wife's flat. Brilliant views of Table Bay, the city and Robben Island. At its best at sunset and when there is no strong wind blowing. Do it with an outfit like Downhill Adventures or with a group of locals (easy to assemble on the Hub). See lower right picture - thats Lions Head in the background where your wife is staying.

There are many more great rides within 1 hour of Cape Town, but I think the above will help you narrow it down.

Now hit Google earth!

post-17716-0-76683000-1298267258.jpg

post-17716-0-75833100-1298267287.jpg

post-17716-0-97446400-1298267321.jpg

post-17716-0-72894900-1298267343.jpg

Edited by DJR

Paul i ride on the MTN twice a week with a group of friends. When you in town give me a call and you are welcome to join. We havent seen muggers yet but they welcome to try their luck with us. Also if you going to do just 1 ride go to tokai and you will love it. Jonkershoek is a great call also and Oak Valley about 45 mins out of town is a must do ride.

Dont do it. Our trails are rubbish, our mountains terrible and ugle, our beaches dont hold a candle to Brighton, our wines are like vinegar, The waterfront and Atlantic Seaboard are rundown and decaying. I dont want to comment on the women here(may get into trouble, I could go on with our terrible it is here. You are far better off in the UK, with, um, with, ..... someone help me out here, I was only there for a year.

Thanks for the offer Stevief - I'll see you later.

Great list DJR. That looks like my itinery.

One question - is it possible to link Tokai and MTN off road? It looks all green on Google maps between.

Brilliant advice guys, thanks. Getting excited now. Now off for a ride in the rain and mud on my dirt cheap bike!