Running vs Cycling - the debate...

Dangerboy

I was having dinner with a runner friend of mine last night and the topic got onto the usual Runners vs Cyclists - who/which is harder...

I told her that I did a 200km ride on the weekend (Ironman training), and she asked, "What would that equal in running kilometres?"

I said 50kms. My reasoning was that a 90km cycle is like a 21km run, so times that by 2 and you hit a marathon = 180km, so add a few for luck!

Although i do think i'm favouring the cyclist here.

I also don't think anyone can judge unless they've riden at least 150kms and run a marathon.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't freewheel when you run, unless you like to face plant.... Very hard to manage your recovery during the actual session.

you not far out, i know what it feels like to run 90km and ride 90. The time spend with running is longer a 42 km will take 3hours if you ride it 1.20. My riding is not strong but i would say would feel the same after 90km ride and a 40 km run

There is no cycle race in SA that can be compared to Comrades (look at the preparation commitment planning etc that one goes through, cycling you can skim on training but Comrades will catch you around 40km in.

Past years went straight from Two Oceans to Panorama and last year from Comrades to Kremetart no problem, other way around I struggle cycling 80km after doing a 32km run.

The biggest distinction between the two disciplines is IMPACT.

Impact on body system.

Running is much tougher due to its high impact on the body.

I would guestimate 1 km run is 5 kms cycled in terms of effort and demand on body.

I was until recently mainly a runner although I did a fair amount of mountain biking when not running. I have done several marathons and have done comrades. I have not done a 150k ride, I have done several 100k rides. I started road cycling last year. I have done amashova twice, once on a mtb and once on a road bike.

My personal experience is that running is much harder on the body - so much more impact that road running becomes a process of injury management as much as training and this is more of a limiter than cardio vascular performance. I find cycling harder from a cardio vascular point of view as without the impact and pain caused by running you can push longer and harder and the only limitation becomes cardio vascular ability. I have had to stop running long distances due to knee damage - which was caused more by rugby & athletics than by running, but the running makes it worse.

I feel fitter and stronger now that I am mainly cycling with very little running and I have lost more weight with cycling than I did with running - and have a lot less injuries.

I would say they each have the own "hardness", for having to tough it out through pain though running "wins" hands down. For having to keep pushing when you are at your cardio vascular limit cycling is much harder.

Looking at the top cyclists and runners - Kotov aside (who is an exception that proves the rule) it seems to me that cyclists have much longer careers - Noakes in his book "the Lore of Running" seems to be of the view that there are only so many kilometeres you can run in your life as there is only so much abuse your body can take from the hammering of the road.

There is no cycle race in SA that can be compared to Comrades (look at the preparation commitment planning etc that one goes through, cycling you can skim on training but Comrades will catch you around 40km in.

Past years went straight from Two Oceans to Panorama and last year from Comrades to Kremetart no problem, other way around I struggle cycling 80km after doing a 32km run.

+100 :thumbup:

The only time running is easier (so I have been told by running friends) is when going uphill (steep hills), many runners will say it is easier and faster to run than cycle uphill. Its easier to stop and walk than to stop and pick yourself up after falling over :D

Running beats cycling hands(or feet) down. If you take the runner of comrades, 5:30ish, then a tough Cycling Classic, 260km...thats about over 2.5 times THE KM, then add the physical effort and pounding.