Running vs Cycling - the debate...

Dangerboy

Guest agteros

Would it be fair to assume that there are more runners who could complete, at the drop of a hat, a 100km road ride or a 45km MTB than Roadies or MTB riders who could complete a 21km run ?

The only thing that holds runners back in cycling is confidence on the bike, and maybe pedalling technique

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a bloke told me that the motion of cycling shortens the muscles of the legs. I don't know if it is true or not. But I must say I find running more relaxing than cycling. I just need to find out what the correct running etiquette is

Guest agteros

I know a bloke told me that the motion of cycling shortens the muscles of the legs. I don't know if it is true or not. But I must say I find running more relaxing than cycling. I just need to find out what the correct running etiquette is

No elbowing, no spitting at somebody's shoes, no body odour (including farting)

Walkers not to block the road for runners coming through

You are obviously not an experienced runner. Farts must come out whenever they are in the chamber. :) Even a certain former Olympian lady I used to train with used to let them out. The etiquette is to move out of the line to prevent runners behind you getting a lung full.

No way... No farting... And that is the best way in cycling to break the streamers behind one...

Thanks for the tip... Does one get a thing to mark visual impaired runners? I run without glasses and can't see much past my nose, cause the glasses presses down on my nose and restricts the flow of air

Heard from national level age groupers as well... Triathlon is the easy one.

Guess that is why it is more popular than duathlon

I went to worlds for both so used to suffer all year round. Tri season was the rest season and the prep for getting fit enough for du. That initial run pounds your legs, the bike your legs and lungs and then when you come off the bike your heart rate elevates about 10BPM. Problem is if you already at lactate you go BYE BYE.

Guest agteros

You are obviously not an experienced runner. Farts must come out whenever they are in the chamber. :) Even a certain former Olympian lady I used to train with used to let them out. The etiquette is to move out of the line to prevent runners behind you getting a lung full.

Ja wat de h3ll weet ek.....

Dude, if you run alone you can let the brown stuff streak down your legs for all I care... Obviously this refers to running in a group!

Can't really compare the two based purely on distance. For example a 20km easy run can be much easier than 100km cycle. But if you run the 20km hard and ride the 100km hard then the run would be more difficult (at least it was for me last weekend during my training).

I think running gets progressively more difficult as distance increases than cycling (due to the jarring). I can double the distance I cycle and as long as I get the nutrition right I am usually fine. Double the distance running and I will be really struggling.

Ja wat de h3ll weet ek.....

Dude, if you run alone you can let the brown stuff streak down your legs for all I care... Obviously this refers to running in a group!

You never took my comment seriously did you. I meant it light heartedly about the experience. I.e. all runners need to degas man. :)

I prefer oranges. Wait, which one is the orange, and what was the question?

Ah,yes, I remember, you can inject an orange with vodka, not so much with an apple.

But one can put both in a sangria...?

But one can put both in a sangria...?

What? Vodka and oranges in sangria? Sounds good to me.

Guest agteros

You never took my comment seriously did you. I meant it light heartedly about the experience. I.e. all runners need to degas man. :)

NOT as much as cyclists though. From a running perspective cyclists are a bunch of prissy prima donnas... :)

If it was me, do dualthlon. You will not find a more punishing sport. Not even triathlon is harder.

You should try Cyclocross. It is BADASS! You have to sprint, ride, jump off the bike, run with it, jump over obstacles and re-mount. Mud, rain, snow, ice it's all in there....and then there's the heckling. Some people bring megaphones to hurl abuse at you. Some throw bacon and chicken at you or offer you dollar bills. It's all part of the culture of 'cross. Totally amazing. Not sure why it hasn't taken off in SA. It is HUGE in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Check these out for inspiration:

This is me and a fellow SA friend racing in the bottom-feeder group in Chicago last autumn riding through a huge sandy bunker on a golf course:

I think I am in 4th and ride into the back of the guy in 3rd. LOTS of pain but lots of fun.

All I can say is: I have 2 bicycles and a car - why oh why would I want to run anywhere?! :rolleyes:

I share that sentiment!