Bicycle Tracking Device

The Saint

Hi, I would just like to find out how many of you would be interested in getting a tracking device for your bicycle? Small device placed somewhere inside the frame and your bike can be tracked should it ever get jacked?

Much like a netstar which you get for your car?

Would you be interested and what do you think a fair monthly cost for such a device would be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea, but there's really only two places on a bike to put it, the steerer, or the seat tube, the theifs would soon get the idea of where to look and take it out...

I certainly would. What TNT1 says may be true at some stage, but I'd sure as hell try it. Actually, I suggested it to Tracker about a year back ...

to me there will only be value if the combined monthly costs of the device plus (hopefully) new reduced insurance premium is lower than the current insurance premium.

I certainly would. What TNT1 says may be true at some stage, but I'd sure as hell try it. Actually, I suggested it to Tracker about a year back ...

Shot for the new sig...

Hi, I would just like to find out how many of you would be interested in getting a tracking device for your bicycle? Small device placed somewhere inside the frame and your bike can be tracked should it ever get jacked?

Much like a netstar which you get for your car?

Would you be interested and what do you think a fair monthly cost for such a device would be?

Whats the battery situation? Also where would the device be located on the frame? I would be interested to find out more.

I love the idea, but there's really only two places on a bike to put it, the steerer, or the seat tube, the theifs would soon get the idea of where to look and take it out...

THEIF !

Good greif !

Not kceif.

(their, feint, feisty, foreign, forfeit, beige, heir, heist, rein , veil, thief)

I only hope sir that you were replying on 'The Hub for Mobile', were ones spelling mistakes can be blamed on the inability to see the TINY keys, or the fact that your thumbs have been put on backwards.

THEIF !

Good greif !

Not kceif.

(their, feint, feisty, foreign, forfeit, beige, heir, heist, rein , veil, thief)

I only hope sir that you were replying on 'The Hub for Mobile', were ones spelling mistakes can be blamed on the inability to see the TINY keys, or the fact that your thumbs have been put on backwards.

to be quite pedantic you are correcting incorrectly as it should be thieves

THEIF !

Good greif !

Not kceif.

Nope, using a stupid windows machine, and apparently, IE doesn't automatically check spelling...

sound good.

It should also have the ability for online tracking, real time. On a web site as well as a moby site.

That way friends and family can track where i am.

It will also be nice if lots of people use the device than we will be able to follow races. like the TOS (Tour of SA) that is now on, instead of twitter, we can see them on a map.

Or you loved ons waiting at the finish line could see how you are doing and when you will be there, to take nice pics.

there are so many options.

Edited by Gman1834

If small enough (and depending on the frame itself) one can stuff it in a few other places, such as the handlebar, certain stems, inside the seatpost itself, or maybe if you take the bb out you can stick it inside either of the 2 tubes. A very good idea.

Shot for the new sig...

Hahaha! My pleasure. But thanks for putting me in a position of authority and judgement.

THEIF !

Good greif !

Not kceif.

Drongo, please don't highjack a post. We are all very impressed with BA degree in languages...not :thumbdown:

I would be interested in a tracking system. All dependent on cost and weight.

Is this an already available product or something in development ?

The technology is easily available, its just the service being supplied thats the new frontier - a guy at work developed a system with GSM trackers last year (personal use) and told me last week that the devices are small enough for bicycle frames.