Bicycle Tracking Device

The Saint

Hi guys thanks for the feedback, I will get back to all of you as we had a very brief discussion about this yesterday - I will take up the cause and see what I can do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys thanks for the feedback, I will get back to all of you as we had a very brief discussion about this yesterday - I will take up the cause and see what I can do.

Shot. Just remember, I might eventually be right...

The technology is easily available, its just the service being supplied thats the new frontier - a guy at work developed a system with GSM trackers last year (personal use) and told me last week that the devices are small enough for bicycle frames.

Ok cool, how have they gotten around the battery life problem? Also at what cost?

Edited by Caerus

This is of course volume based, the more subscribers the less the cost to cover the IP. I think this should be tagged with all major insurers out there, this will definitley drive the cost done as an option to select when one wants to insure one's bike. I will definitley not survive on tis own, requires the geographical backing and footprint of major insurers across the country to adopt it as as ecurity measure. In this way their costs will also be reduced, a win-win situation for the market as a whole.

This is of course volume based, the more subscribers the less the cost to cover the IP. I think this should be tagged with all major insurers out there, this will definitley drive the cost done as an option to select when one wants to insure one's bike. I will definitley not survive on tis own, requires the geographical backing and footprint of major insurers across the country to adopt it as as ecurity measure. In this way their costs will also be reduced, a win-win situation for the market as a whole.

Any news on your bike?

Drongo, please don't highjack a post. We are all very impressed with BA degree in languages...not :thumbdown:

I would be interested in a tracking system. All dependent on cost and weight.

:oops: :stupid:

I worked for a company that designs tracking systems for vehicles and was involved with the RF design. The battery is definitely a problem area as it needs to be connected to a power supply for charging every now and then. The GSM modem wakes up every few minutes and has to refresh its status, this requires transmitting at around 2 Watts depending on how far it is from a tranciever station which will eat batteries.

The GSM technology will easily fit inside a seat tube complete with antenna but unless you're willing to change batteries every few days, I dont see this being feasible. Unless the GSM modem only wakes up every few hours, but by then your bike could be in Mozambique!

Maybe we could put a little motor in the seat tube connected to the cranks and that would generate a current for charging the battery.. Nah.. too stoopid, I mean a motor in the seat tube Bwahahahahaha!!

Edited by Veloce

Ok cool, how have they gotten around the battery life problem? Also at what cost?

Battery life is a problem - the cost of the technology is cheap just look at how cheap basic phones have gotten (sorry I cannot say how much the hardware costs NDA). The problem is the cost of running the device as data is expensive and certain networks will charge your a certain amount of data for each session but then again my Samsung uses 8Mb data per month checking and downloading my email headers every 2 hrs. One could just get a Vodacom TopUp contract for R20-R30 per month that you leave in the device even if you have to run at out of bundle rates.

The only real problem with the battery is charging it even if you do install enough batter packs to last you a month.

Today at work we got a new GSM-GPS tracking device in for a project one of the guys is working on. The device is the size of a pack of Astros. We need to test the battery life and the signal strength. I'm interested as it will also be a great way to map / track my routes.

• 2 months later...

Is the battery really such a problem? I speak under correction - anyone actually in the tracking business please correct or confirm - but certain tracking devices are passive. Specifically Tracker if I recall, unless technology has moved on and this is no longer the case.

Certainly the first Tracker I had in my car (some years ago though) was a coded coil that was inserted into the seat padding and had no battery. The only problem with a system like this is that there is no way of activating it at the time of hijacking with a "panic" button of sorts like you can with say Nestar. You would have to get to a phone and call it in and then Tracker would get tracking...

This whole lot could take a while if the highjacker has stripped you kaalgat and you have to walk 10km barefoot to the nearest phone!. I'd still be keen on a system like this though as at least you have a chance to get your bike tracked and recovered, even if they start an hour or 2 after it was stolen.

A passive device should also be easier to insert into a tube where it can't ever be removed, e.g. the downtube via the headtube and glued in place.

Anyone care to comment on this?