Bicycle Tracking Device

The Saint

I want 9!!!!

Bicycle Trackers have recently become available in SA through selected cycle shops.

Battery life up to a year before requiring a recharge. This is achieved by the device spending most of its life asleep. It wakes up on a preset schedule to check for SMS messages (like whether or not its been stolen).

Default schedule is every 6 hours. This setting can be changed but will obviously impact on battery life.

Already had one success story in SA of a stolen bicycle having been recovered with the the police at the thieves shack in the township.

PM / email me if you want more info.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bicycle Trackers have recently become available in SA through selected cycle shops.

Battery life up to a year before requiring a recharge. This is achieved by the device spending most of its life asleep. It wakes up on a preset schedule to check for SMS messages (like whether or not its been stolen).

Default schedule is every 6 hours. This setting can be changed but will obviously impact on battery life.

Already had one success story in SA of a stolen bicycle having been recovered with the the police at the thieves shack in the township.

PM / email me if you want more info.

PM sent.

What Battery?

In Feb 2007 I purchased insurance at a once off £100 p/a(depending on the value of the bike), they gave me a "kit" which literally was a tracking microchip (the size of a rice grain & glue). Put some glue on the chip & drop it down your seat tube, call the number supplied & the agent activated my year long membership. There was no battery.........oh forgot to mention this was in the UK. Back in SA now & upto today I'm still riding around with that chip in my seat tube with no membership, I'll renew membership again when bike gets stolen.

Don't most stolen bikes end up on the market and in a race again? If so then an effective way would be to put a kind of race number RF-ID tag inside the frame and then the scanners at a race will pick it up as stolen bike on the system if so reported.

Just a though on a easy and inexpensive way of insuring a bike.

What Battery?

In Feb 2007 I purchased insurance at a once off £100 p/a(depending on the value of the bike), they gave me a "kit" which literally was a tracking microchip (the size of a rice grain & glue). Put some glue on the chip & drop it down your seat tube, call the number supplied & the agent activated my year long membership. There was no battery.........oh forgot to mention this was in the UK. Back in SA now & upto today I'm still riding around with that chip in my seat tube with no membership, I'll renew membership again when bike gets stolen.

What was this wonderful traking device called & insurance called? Its a bit of useless info if we can't look into it further ;)

You can find more detail on evanscycles.com

Thanks, should I be looking at what though - Insurance for sale or gadgets? Not just for me but anyone else. It helps with a link.

Ok so i did everyone a favour & it doesn't look like they offer this same deal anymore probably costing to much, if someone has the free time & willing to do the research, please feel free to contact them & find out how they did it a couple of years ago wrt the tracking chip option where no battery was required.

http://www.evanscycles.com/insurance

I got jacked on Sunday. I am still pissed.

I would like to see an exploding saddle that detonates after the bastard has run off with your treasured possesion,

• 1 year later...

Old thread, I know, but I did not want the Search function Nazi's to go berserk.. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I just received an email from Tracetec.

I enquired about a tracking device when our bikes were stolen from Van Gaalen's about three years ago. The response was that they are looking into it. Three years later and TADAA! :clap:

Whether the extra monthly premium is worth it if you already have insurance is another debate altogether.

For now, its good news!

TRACETEC LAUNCHES TRACKING AND RECOVERY PRODUCT FOR BICYCLES

http://www.tracetec.net/news-get-your-bicycle-back-tracetec-launches-tracking-and-recovery-product-for-bicycles.php

Old thread, I know, but I did not want the Search function Nazi's to go berserk.. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I enquired about a tracking device when our bikes were stolen from Van Gaalen's about three years ago. The response was that they are looking into it. Three years later and TADAA! :clap:

Whether the extra monthly premium is worth it if you already have insurance is another debate altogether.

For now, its good news!

http://www.tracetec....or-bicycles.php

Nice one!

For now, its good news!

http://www.tracetec....or-bicycles.php

Great idea however this on top of the R200 odd I pay a month on my bike insurance starts to get on the expensive side, it would have to be one or the other IMHO.

If it were one or the other Id stick to insurance as id get a new bike if it got nicked.

Unless I had a 60-R80k valued bike then both insurance and tracking would be in the affordability bracket.

Great idea however this on top of the R200 odd I pay a month on my bike insurance starts to get on the expensive side, it would have to be one or the other IMHO.

If it were one or the other Id stick to insurance as id get a new bike if it got nicked.

Unless I had a 60-R80k valued bike then both insurance and tracking would be in the affordability bracket.

I have to agree, unless your insurance premium is lowered when your bike has a tracking device, it hardly feels worth it to pay an extra R65/month.

(I hope you have more than one bike insured for that R200 or your bike is worth a lot, otherwise you are getting shafted)

On the other hand, the only way to stop bicycle theft is to up the risk of being caught. If most bicycles were tracked, it would definitely lower the amount of bikes stolen and then sold for R400 on the street corner.

So if i use Tracetec and get a flat they will come change my tube. :clap:

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

In the event of a roadside emergency such as a mechanical breakdown, flat tyre, flat battery or any other roadside related emergency, TracetecHelp can be contacted 24 hours a day to arrange assistance, anywhere within the borders of South Africa.