Cycling to work

RossW

Hey,

I've done a search and can't find the answer to my question thus I pose it to the hubbers.

I live 5km from work and it annoys the hell out of me that I drive the distance. Leaving the cost of petrol out of this; the cost through wear and tear of starting and "warming" the car on the drive means that it does not reach it's efficient temperature before I have arrived - 7 mins in heavy traffic :clap:

So the question to those who cycle to work:

What do you wear to commute? I have a shower at work and I do at times do a long ride early then head straight to work so naturally I'll be in riding clothes. But those days when I just want to ride to work and back - what does one wear?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ride in winter so that I don't have to get wet. I'm then in full kit with back pack and all. On Monday I drive in and leave a bag with towel, toilestries, 3 days worth of undies, sock, jerseys and a pair of shoes. Just take a clean shirt and pants in daily. Leave the afternoon with that days dirties. Drive in again on Friday and take everything home again.

Get up earlier and do a longer ride than a commute every day. I've been commuting to work for 10 years now. It's a little over 20 kays on the shortest route each way, but I change it up and do plenty of different things. Once you work out the issue with work clothes and the routine of getting ready in the work bathroom space you're sorted. Check and see if there is a pick up and drop off dry cleaning service in your area. Money saved from petrol can easily go into this.

The best thing about my commute is that I can typically do it 10 minutes faster on my bike than by car, due to the traffic. When the weather is k@k I remind myself I have just added 2 hours to my day not having to make that time for trying and driving in, simply because I am commuting. Keep it up once you get started. There's plenty of us out there. Don't miss an opportunity to say hello to a fellow commuter. The regulars appreciate anything that is a change from their regular ride in.

WELCOME to the commuter brigade!

Edited by Tubehunter

I live 18km from work and ride in cycling kit. I usually put cloths in my backpack, or if I'm really organised I take extra clothes and leave them at work the day before (at least shoes because they are bulky). I then shower at work. If its short enough, I would still wear cycling gear, and just not shower... use a face cloth to clean yrself off, lotsa deodorant, and get changed into work stuff...

I don't do it everyday, but I feel great when I do, and save a ton of petrol and a teeny bit of the environment too :thumbup:

I also do about 5km. Luckily, I work in shorts and a T-shirt, so that's what I wear. I use yesterday's T-shirt to ride to work, then I change into a clean shirt from my backpack when I get to the office. On a really good summer's day, I'll just ride in a vest. On a really, really good summer's day, I just take my shirt off and cruise. Sooooo lekker.

I commute about 3x a week, sometimes I wear cycling shorts, other times these Goretex long pants (which I got from Evans UK) which are really easy wearing and breathe well. Also a shirt that can keep you cool (not cotton) kinda easy wearing synthetic, I have stocks from various merchandising adventures at events. Cycle with a small back pack in which I keep Goretex jacket in case it rains. Can def, recommend it, just please be careful on the roads they are so dangerous, ride around the traffic and not with or in it.

I wear my kit. When I get to work I sit infront of a fan to cool down, then just towel myself dry, put on deodorant, and change clothes. I also leave a couple pair of shoes at work - cause it's too bloody heavy to carry them every day.

I like your idea of driving maybe once and leaving clobber at work. Makes the backpack that bit lighter each day. Thanks Mampara!

Although,

I even dare to think that a Camelbak sans bladder could carry trousers and a shirt (in the bladder compartment) - I have the one which is one down from the Mule.

I think I will be surprised at the distance covered Tubehunter if I were to do a longer ride each day. Will certainly lift the fitness level and get one used to distance. It'll be a minimum of 125km a week :thumbup: I have a great 'longer ride' which is about 24km and ends 500m from work - bingo! That bit is solved.

I wear cycling kit for my commute(22km) - maybe you can try and get away with a gentle cruise to avoid heavy sweats and just do a quick wipe of the necessary places when you get to work on your 5k days? Perhaps do a test run.

I've recently purchased a rack to carry my bag. It's quite cool, takes 9kg, has bungee cord for securing your bag and attaches to your seatpost - best part is it only cost R140 at <a certain bicycle shop in canal walk>. Found that my backpack absorbed quite a bit of sweat and began smelling funny so the rack works quite nicely :)

5km!? ... You knobend, you should be walking! :thumbdown: ....... :P

My routine is pretty much the same as the others, sometimes I drive to where we have our offices and leave the car there overnight as very often I'm on the road so need the car.

Often leave a set or few sets of clothes and a towel there, so if I want to do a longer ride I don't need to worry about a bag. For those Times I do need a backpack with clothes I use a North Face Limkiln which has a laptop pouch, although I've purchased an external drive, so just copy work over when needed.

I live 18km from work and ride in cycling kit. I usually put cloths in my backpack, or if I'm really organised I take extra clothes and leave them at work the day before (at least shoes because they are bulky). I then shower at work. If its short enough, I would still wear cycling gear, and just not shower... use a face cloth to clean yrself off, lotsa deodorant, and get changed into work stuff...

I don't do it everyday, but I feel great when I do, and save a ton of petrol and a teeny bit of the environment too :thumbup:

I was at some stage commuting 30km one way in the Am and then a similar distance home again. Did not hsave a shower at work so used to ride in easy and then hammer down on the way home. Used loads of deo, but I always wear lycra when commuting. Change of clothes at the office and used to leave a pair of shoes there.

Also save heaps on petrol and parking but probably the biggest saving of all is the rest of the car, notably exhaust systems.

On a short drive you get water buold up in the exhaust system and then it rusts away, needing replacement far more often than if you travel long distances.

Oh, and I found taxi drivers very polite on the whole. Far more so than women drivers.

i live about 13k's from work..

i wear the days cloths. roll up the cuffs of the jeans.. (dont want chain bitten clothing)

get to work wash my face.. spray some deo.. and start working.

i have commuted by bike to every job i've worked at...and will do so until i'm totally unable to.

never had to worry about traffic jams... so liberating

Hey,

I've done a search and can't find the answer to my question thus I pose it to the hubbers.

I live 5km from work and it annoys the hell out of me that I drive the distance. Leaving the cost of petrol out of this; the cost through wear and tear of starting and "warming" the car on the drive means that it does not reach it's efficient temperature before I have arrived - 7 mins in heavy traffic :clap:

So the question to those who cycle to work:

What do you wear to commute? I have a shower at work and I do at times do a long ride early then head straight to work so naturally I'll be in riding clothes. But those days when I just want to ride to work and back - what does one wear?

i ride to work with my normal cycling kit and a small back pack with my clothes for the day, if you have a shower at work that is great, you change etc there. alternatively i leave stuff at the office the night before, go for a long ride and go straight to work.

Get up earlier and do a longer ride than a commute every day. I've been commuting to work for 10 years now. It's a little over 20 kays on the shortest route each way, but I change it up and do plenty of different things. Once you work out the issue with work clothes and the routine of getting ready in the work bathroom space you're sorted. Check and see if there is a pick up and drop off dry cleaning service in your area. Money saved from petrol can easily go into this.

The best thing about my commute is that I can typically do it 10 minutes faster on my bike than by car, due to the traffic. When the weather is k@k I remind myself I have just added 2 hours to my day not having to make that time for trying and driving in, simply because I am commuting. Keep it up once you get started. There's plenty of us out there. Don't miss an opportunity to say hello to a fellow commuter. The regulars appreciate anything that is a change from their regular ride in.

WELCOME to the commuter brigade!

Where you commuting to?

I wear cycling kit for my commute(22km) - maybe you can try and get away with a gentle cruise to avoid heavy sweats and just do a quick wipe of the necessary places when you get to work on your 5k days? Perhaps do a test run.

I've recently purchased a rack to carry my bag. It's quite cool, takes 9kg, has bungee cord for securing your bag and attaches to your seatpost - best part is it only cost R140 at <a certain bicycle shop in canal walk>. Found that my backpack absorbed quite a bit of sweat and began smelling funny so the rack works quite nicely :)

Nice idea, I need one of those.

Backpack also kills my lower back after some time.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Having some spare shoes at work seems a must and makes sense as they are the heaviest bit of clothing.

I'm going to give the Camelbak Lobo "backpack" a try with jeans and shirt for the day (wrapped in a plastic bag for sweat defense). Will have a drawer saved for socks, undies and deo and FOOD! I will most certainly be doing the riding in riding kit - much more comfortable in my opinion even if for only a 5km ride on the days I do not feel like doing a 'long ride' before.

This is going to be an exciting start to commuting. Luckily there is a company car for use so I really do not need my car to stand in the sun all day.

Maybe in suggesting theses ideas to a noob commuter; entrenched commuters may hear of ideas to refine their system ....