Road Hogs

Motorist

oh come now ZULA do we have to go through this again or is this the perfect example why we hate cyclests cos you see say and do exactely what you want with out thinking past your elbow WE HAVE ALREADY WORKED OUT I HAD A PASSENGER IN THE CAR .now maybe you will think before you act ,the bottom line is the cyclists were in the wrong every body can see this except for a few of you that instead of just admiting you were in the wrong want to argue the same old point please wake up or shut up

Such anger and frustration . . . . why not treat the root cause of it, erectile dysfunction can be cured! :lol:

You need to lighten up mate, make sure your own house is in order and don't be so quick to point our other folks doing wrong - one day your anger might just be directed at someone more angry than you and you'll come off second best. Till then, good luck!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, missed the original thread posting and have just finished reading all 7 pages.

Quite clearly there are 3 camps of thought:

- Those who think that the Club 100 riders are in the wrong and are in agreement with the OP

- Those who think that because its a quiet road it isn't a probelm, and we finally have

- Those who think that hurling insults will make the problem disappear.

I'm rather glad that I fall into the 1st camp and clearly Club100 needs to have marshalls to bring their club members back into line.

I ride that road most weekends whilst out training for Ironman and am totally shocked at the inconsiderate attitudes displayed by my fellow cyclists be they club members or small groups of friends cycling 2/3/4 abreast.

I'm not a religious person, far from it, however, "Treat unto others, as you have them treat unto you" is an extremely wise saying especially when you are dealing with 2 000 kg's of metal !!

I assume that all those people hurling abuse at "Motorist" are the very cyclists that ride like the ones in the pictures. I still cannot understand why a bunch of roadies can't just move over when a car comes from behind...isn't that common sense?

Mind you, common sense isn't that common!

I don't condone what these guys are doing and it is wrong, BUT would you have taken a picture if you came across a slow moving truck/tractor or Horse & Cart?

No!

So treat it as that, a slow moving vehicle, just like you would do if you came across the above mentioned vehicles. Remember SHARE THE ROAD!

I don't condone what these guys are doing and it is wrong, BUT would you have taken a picture if you came across a slow moving truck/tractor or Horse & Cart?

No!

So treat it as that, a slow moving vehicle, just like you would do if you came across the above mentioned vehicles. Remember SHARE THE ROAD!

Why do people always bring tractors and carts into this. If it was 2 or three tractors or carts next to each other, then you can compare. EVERY vehicle on the road should keep to the left of the road. Remember the "Keep left, pass right" rule.

Us South Africans cannot share anything politely, cannot be considerate to anyone else. Our mentality is that when you are a motorist, the guy who is going slower than you are an idiot, and the guy going faster is a menace. Most of us will not try to push a truck off the road for the obvious reason, but the guy with the smaller vehicle must just get out of the way or we will run him off the road. Playground bullies.

Why do people always bring tractors and carts into this. If it was 2 or three tractors or carts next to each other, then you can compare. EVERY vehicle on the road should keep to the left of the road. Remember the "Keep left, pass right" rule.

Because we are entitled to use the road. If these cyclists were riding all in single file and Mr motorist came across them and decided to pass and suddenly a car or truck was approaching from the opposite side, will he back off and slow down and try to avoid a head-on collision? No he will veer into the cyclists.

That is why I believe when you in a bunch of this size it is far safer to use the entire lane. We all should just become more tolerant. How much time would mr motorist have lost if he just waited and only passed when it was safe to do so?

That is why I use the Truck tractor scenario. We all need to be more patient and tolerant.

Us South Africans cannot share anything politely, cannot be considerate to anyone else. Our mentality is that when you are a motorist, the guy who is going slower than you are an idiot, and the guy going faster is a menace. Most of us will not try to push a truck off the road for the obvious reason, but the guy with the smaller vehicle must just get out of the way or we will run him off the road. Playground bullies.

Well said BigGuy!

oh come now ZULA do we have to go through this again or is this the perfect example why we hate cyclests cos you see say and do exactely what you want with out thinking past your elbow WE HAVE ALREADY WORKED OUT I HAD A PASSENGER IN THE CAR .now maybe you will think before you act ,the bottom line is the cyclists were in the wrong every body can see this except for a few of you that instead of just admiting you were in the wrong want to argue the same old point please wake up or shut up

Come on man - it's got to be a two way street - if you're going to lump all cyclists into your "do exactly what you want and don't think past your elbow" then we get to lump you into the general driver stereotype that stops to pick up passengers on blind rises whilst steering with your kness using a bobejaan spanner for a steering wheel whilst killing 17 year old girls on scooters...

Aint stereotypes funny?

Tell you what - you judge us individuals and we'll judge you as an individual.

Well the individuals in the picture are wrong and this is what this thread is about. Its not about cyclists in general, just the ones that ride like tjops!!

Because we are entitled to use the road. If these cyclists were riding all in single file and Mr motorist came across them and decided to pass and suddenly a car or truck was approaching from the opposite side, will he back off and slow down and try to avoid a head-on collision? No he will veer into the cyclists.

That is why I believe when you in a bunch of this size it is far safer to use the entire lane. We all should just become more tolerant. How much time would mr motorist have lost if he just waited and only passed when it was safe to do so?

That is why I use the Truck tractor scenario. We all need to be more patient and tolerant.

I'm going to disagree with you completely.

These riders are randomly spread all over the lane and the group isn't that big.

Plus - if being ina big group poses a hazard to yourself and other road users then surely the right thing to do is to ride in smaller groups rather than go with the "screw you - I'm going to ride in a big group, take up the whole lane inconveniencing YOU because I want to go for a ride with my 10 mates".

Frankly that kind of attitude stinks - moreso when said by someone trying to make cycling safer for cyclists.

I agree with you on tolerance but when you become intolerant to others expecting tolerance in return you set up a win-lose scenario not so?

you see Eldron, your comment is "'I am going for a ride with my 10 mates"' makes motorists believe that we are only out there having fun whilst they are riding around working. It is not about cyclists having fun, these cyclists are fathers, mothers, children, grandfathers etc. it is about life and protecting it!!

When I started Sign-Up I targeted motorists to get them to change their attitudes towards cyclists (your comment trying to make cycling safer for cyclists). Now four years down the line, I have to target the cyclists. The guys that don't stop at robots and and stop signs. That drive more than two abreast and swear at motorists but UNTIL the cyclists change their attitudes, they wont win an argument against the motorists.

My idea above is about preserving life and it is my opinion! I will continue to try and save lives. What have you done about cyclists safety?

Well said Eldron.

@Captain Slow, the onus to preserve the lives of cyclists is not your shoulders but on the shoulders of the cyclists. Don't get me wrong, I am a cyclist and I ride on the road on the odd occasion but I prefer to ride smart and keep myself out of harms way by riding as close to the curb as possible. If I can do it, why can't everyone else?

There have been numerous threads regarding these tjops who think that own the road, but none have come to a positive conclusion.

I think we should actively take care when cycling on the road and obey the laws because they have been put there to protect us, not to harm us.

Why do you think "Motorist" gets agitated when driving behind the guys in the picture?

Guest coenie

No party will ever win this argument.....cyclist will do what they want so will Taxi's Busses etc...South Africans do not have respect for each other.

Motorist will moa, cyclist will ignore them.....personally I say chill out and go fight about something realy like a taxi skipping a red light.

You number 1 moan should be about SAFETY....some oke is driving drunk he can kill you in your car...a cyclist / motocyclist will merely waste few seconds of your life....

Guest coenie

No!

+1000000000000000000000