Road Hogs

Motorist

Hahahahahahaha Popeye! Die regering kan nie eens die bestande wet ordentlik toepas nie.

Gelukkig is die kanse wat so wet werklikheid word omtrent dieselfde as wat Jacob Zuma as 'n geleerde mens sal voorkom!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have Kayalami - just need toi tweak the hours there ;) and add massive lights

You want to do MORE hours? Two hours of intervals is enough to snotklap me there!

The lights would be nice for winter though.

R10 a pop - what a winner.

Hahahahahahaha Popeye! Die regering kan nie eens die bestande wet ordentlik toepas nie.

Gelukkig is die kanse wat so wet werklikheid word omtrent dieselfde as wat Jacob Zuma as 'n geleerde mens sal voorkom!

In theory it's an aweomse idea - in practice people are not obeying the current laws so why would they adhere to new ones?

Alas you can't turn people into mutually respecting road users with laws.

Problem is I have no idea how you would go about turning the current crop of road users into decent human beings...

Now you have disrupted the space/time continuum..... :o

HKGK!!!! :devil: :oops:

If you read the post before that you would have seen the word "few" and that's what I meant - if you really want a number I'd say under 10kph is fine.

My point is that the laws don't make us safe - our brains make us safe.

In the UK stop streets have largely been replaced by traffic circles - people slow down to use them without stopping and their road mortality rate is way lower than ours - it's in the attitude not the law.

The law does not make us safe but it provides a set of rules to create a safe as possible environment! There are to many idiots on the road, they have to be told what to do otherwise chaos will prevail! What do you think will happen if for one week, no rules/laws applied, you could drive the way you wanted to?

How often do you stick to the traffic speed? How easy is it to drive 70 or 80 in a 60 zone?

If you could roll through a stop street (would have to be renamed) at under 10km/h some guys will be pushing it to 20 or 30 in no time.

We have not yet replaced all our stop streets with traffic circles, so in the mean time we still need to Stop at the Stop signs.

The law does not make us safe but it provides a set of rules to create a safe as possible environment! There are to many idiots on the road, they have to be told what to do otherwise chaos will prevail! What do you think will happen if for one week, no rules/laws applied, you could drive the way you wanted to?

How often do you stick to the traffic speed? How easy is it to drive 70 or 80 in a 60 zone?

If you could roll through a stop street (would have to be renamed) at under 10km/h some guys will be pushing it to 20 or 30 in no time.

We have not yet replaced all our stop streets with traffic circles, so in the mean time we still need to Stop at the Stop signs.

I agree with what you say - laws create a "line". Ie: is you say stop people will roll through at 10 - if you say 10 people will do 20 etc.

Oddly enough I like rules - it creates a predictable and semi safe environment for all.

But (there's always a but).

Laws without brains won't make the roads safe.

Brains without laws would if people bothered to use them.

A combination of both is the right answer I guess.

Edit: on my way to work today I witnessed:

1) Speeding.

2) Shooting down turning lanes then pushing into the correct lane.

3) Driving on the wrong side of the road.

4) Cellphone chatting

5) Lack of following distance

6) Skipping of stop streets and robots.

7) Dodgy overtaking

Clearly the current laws are not being adhered to - in my opinion making people use their brains will save more lives than making people obey all the laws. It's not absolute of course - as I said before law + brains is the right answer.

Edited by Eldron

Ja maar Kyalami is `n bitch om na toe te ry 5 uur die middag..........

En dit is te kort.......... mens kan ook net soveel keer om `n 4km sirkel ry!?

Ek gaan die suikerbosrand ding definitief doen

Ja maar Kyalami is `n bitch om na toe te ry 5 uur die middag..........

En dit is te kort.......... mens kan ook net soveel keer om `n 4km sirkel ry!?

Ek gaan die suikerbosrand ding definitief doen

I agree with what you say - laws create a "line". Ie: is you say stop people will roll through at 10 - if you say 10 people will do 20 etc.

Oddly enough I like rules - it creates a predictable and semi safe environment for all.

But (there's always a but).

Laws without brains won't make the roads safe.

Brains without laws would if people bothered to use them.

A combination of both is the right answer I guess.

Edit: on my way to work today I witnessed:

1) Speeding.

2) Shooting down turning lanes then pushing into the correct lane.

3) Driving on the wrong side of the road.

4) Cellphone chatting

5) Lack of following distance

6) Skipping of stop streets and robots.

7) Dodgy overtaking

Clearly the current laws are not being adhered to - in my opinion making people use their brains will save more lives than making people obey all the laws. It's not absolute of course - as I said before law + brains is the right answer.

:lol: not all have brains - that is the problem!

And from what you said above, some are already in that week without rules/laws!

We all have a universal understanding for the rules of the road, if you open that up to "interpretation as you see fit" that is a recipe for disaster.

So the answer is - use your brain to follow/stick to the law!

:lol: not all have brains - that is the problem!

And from what you said above, some are already in that week without rules/laws!

We all have a universal understanding for the rules of the road, if you open that up to "interpretation as you see fit" that is a recipe for disaster.

So the answer is - use your brain to follow/stick to the law!

So I can whip past cyclists at 100kph in heavy rain on dodgy roads with potholes because the speed limit is 100kph? The laws permits that.

Likewise I can hook it round tight corners at 60kph in built up zones because the law allows that too. If your children are playing in the street then best they learn to run. Fast.

As a cyclist I can overtake my mate doing 20kph on an uphill and force you to drive behind me for the 2 minutes it takes to overtake him?

I can also ride my bicycle at 10kph on the thinnest road I can find because it's legal and you'll have to wait behind me until it's safe to overtake?

The law also requires driver to create (if memory serves) a 1.5m safety zone around a cyclist when they overtake. If thats the case no motorist is allowed to overtake a cyclist. Ever.

The law only extends so far - at some stage you need to assess the situation with your brain and make a decision that will create a win-win situation for everybody.

If you agree that safety comes before law I'll agree that laws are necessary :clap:

If you agree that safety comes before law I'll agree that laws are necessary :clap:

Man, it is never easy to agree with you on anything ;)

Laws are necessary whether we agree or not.

Safety should come before law but your perception is all twisted when it comes to this and that is my whole point.

You would rather Not stop at the stop street and roll through. No matter how you justify it, that is not the safe choice.

If you go slower rather than faster that is the safe choice, if you stop rather than roll through, that is the safe choice.

See what I mean?

Edited by Tankman

Feniks... Justify that you can ride the whole one lane.

You are not even allowd to ride on the other side of the white line in races, but here you shoot the motorist, instead of shooting bthat fat guy on the other side of the white line.

Sien jy dan niks verkeerd oor hoe hierdie mense ry?

Sorry Popeye, I really had no clue as to what you were talking about, since you did not quote your reply, Yes the first pic on page 1 is just wrong and I agree, I posted a nice single file picture and here comes your reply of brain-dead etc. guess misunderstanding

Edited by Feniks

Man, it is never easy to agree with you on anything ;)

If you go slower rather than faster that is the safe choice, if you stop rather than roll through, that is the safe choice.

See what I mean?

Nah - I'm a difficult bastard who only has his opinion changed with a crowbar.

I see what you mean I just don't agree with it :D

A yield sign is a good example - it is effectively a rolling stop street - people use them safely all the time.

In my experience the majority of people do the rolling "stop" thing anyway - most of then at around walking pace I'd guess using my calibrated eyeballs.

That said (and to bring this to some kind of conclusion) - in theory I agree with you - coming to a complete stop at a stop street is the safest way to treat a stop street.

That said (and to bring this to some kind of conclusion) - in theory I agree with you - coming to a complete stop at a stop street is the safest way to treat a stop street.

Yaaaay! :clap: Now where is that crowbar? :D

I cannot believe you lot who try and justify beaking the law. Don't like the law? P!ss of to the UK, cause they have roundabouts and not stop streets or some such crap. Step up and start being part of the solution, not part of the criminal masses. FFS!

Oh, and a word to the wise, skip a stop street in the real world, and you go a long way towards having your license revoked, and I reckon if you're an arrogant, better than the law cause I know what I think is right, kinda moron here, you'll be the same kind of moron anywhere.