Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

Hey all.

Yesterday Deon spent hours reshaping the entry into the my roots section. He also built a nice lip to jump into the landing off the road.

Only for someone to take it on themselves to kick the lip down.

The shoeprint left behind is CLEARLY from a Shimano DX shoe (The new black ones) So this was done by a downhiller between 2pm and 5pm. I have a pretty good idea who it was but I have no evidence.

To the person who did this. If you want to have a hand in shaping the tracks please feel free to attend the build days. There is one between 1 and 5pm tomorrow. If you can't jump a 1 foot lip then I suggest you ride around it or find another riding venue.

It takes a lot of effort to maintain these tracks and redoing work that others destroy is just annoying.

The only person who is authorized to work on the trails during the week is Deon and the authorized build days are under his authority. He has been issued with a permit by SANPARKS to that effect. If you are caught kicking jumps down or doing any impromptu work outside of this expect to pay a hefty fine and possibly face vandalism charges.

Ag, no man!

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all.

Yesterday Deon spent hours reshaping the entry into the my roots section. He also built a nice lip to jump into the landing off the road.

Only for someone to take it on themselves to kick the lip down.

The shoeprint left behind is CLEARLY from a Shimano DX shoe (The new black ones) So this was done by a downhiller between 2pm and 5pm. I have a pretty good idea who it was but I have no evidence.

To the person who did this. If you want to have a hand in shaping the tracks please feel free to attend the build days. There is one between 1 and 5pm tomorrow. If you can't jump a 1 foot lip then I suggest you ride around it or find another riding venue.

It takes a lot of effort to maintain these tracks and redoing work that others destroy is just annoying.

The only person who is authorized to work on the trails during the week is Deon and the authorized build days are under his authority. He has been issued with a permit by SANPARKS to that effect. If you are caught kicking jumps down or doing any impromptu work outside of this expect to pay a hefty fine and possibly face vandalism charges.

Some times - like in this instance - it's better to moer first and ask questions later......

Guest Omega Man

Some times - like in this instance - it's better to moer first and ask questions later......

Ja I'm not very happy about it. Deon told me about it on the phone as I was on my way up and when i got there to check it out it was BIIP. With a nice Shimano DX shoe mark in the middle as if to say ****you.

People think these things just appear out of thin air but it take hours and hours to make the tiniest little feature. And I'm not even talking about the negotiating with Sanparks that Deon has to do.

There's a digger up there today building a feature on the DH track. that takes AAAAAGES to organize and get approved and thousands of rands to make happen.

post-13110-0-88681800-1351848947_thumb.jpg

It is hot today! Add sunburn to the list Duane.. Heck!

Oh Vince just arrived.

I see the kicked down lip, my blisters start to pain in sympathy. Really guys, if there is a problem just tell me. Omega, I will chat to Alpha and get his take on events.. see if there is trouble brewing.

Guest Omega Man

post-13110-0-88681800-1351848947_thumb.jpg

It is hot today! Add sunburn to the list Duane.. Heck!

Oh Vince just arrived.

I see the kicked down lip, my blisters start to pain in sympathy. Really guys, if there is a problem just tell me. Omega, I will chat to Alpha and get his take on events.. see if there is trouble brewing.

The guilty party phoned me to explain the situation.

Guest Omega Man

and.......?

He phoned Deon. It's up to them to discuss.

He phoned Deon. It's up to them to discuss.

Eish, what a swak think to have done!

Anyway, on a different note, you guys have been doing an awesome job! All the new features have made a run down Tokai so much more fun! It's really appreciated! Really want to come help with the build days but Saturdays are a bit tricky for me - might be able to come help next time around though.

Guest Omega Man

Eish, what a swak think to have done!

Anyway, on a different note, you guys have been doing an awesome job! All the new features have made a run down Tokai so much more fun! It's really appreciated! Really want to come help with the build days but Saturdays are a bit tricky for me - might be able to come help next time around though.

Pleasure. Deon is up there with a digger right now. Tomorrow is the next build fella. And the first Saturday of every month. Please do come if you can. Many hands make light work and all that.

On that. Please. Everyone please please please check the trails out before you pin it down. Changes are taking place all the time and we only put up notices while we are actually building.

After:

post-13110-0-36009600-1351863486_thumb.jpg

What you can't see in this pic is the height of the fall-away slope and the camber of the two berms on the corners..

I never want to pick up a spade again! I have started saving for a machine!

Edited by Pain or Shine

A better angle.

That is the banked turn into a double (on the right) for events. The one on the left is going to be a permanent line that connects to 'Roots'.. another berm into double.

Lots of work still needed, by hand! :( Oh well, its for mountain biking :)

post-13110-0-04092900-1351863854_thumb.jpg

Oh, the 'lip kicker' explained and reasoning was valid, enough to let it slide... He had to make a call and destroying the feature was most important in terms of safety.

ok, as you were.

Guest Omega Man

WOOHOOOOO!!!!

OMG THAT LOOKS AWESOME. WHY AM I SHOUTING? WHO CARE? YEEEHAAWW.

Siiiiiiiiiick! Gonna be there tomorrow , spade in hand, beer in the bakkie. Gonna BUILD! Thanks Deon, its gonna be so awesome. I've wanted to do exactly that for years.