Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

Hi Bruce

How do we do it?

By talking about doing trailbuilding and repair on a forum like this (see above). Then getting 15 or more volunteers for a Sunday afternoon (after the mad rush is over and the trails somewhat quieter, also on the hottest part of the day). Of the 15+ volunteers, only 5 then show up. We do as much as we can in the 5 hours before dark and then it starts all over again.

The questions I want to ask are: Where are the thousands of other Tokai users? When they see us sweating, why do they hardly ever stop to offer something as simple as dragging a branch or rolling a rock over? Why do so few bother to even say hallo or thanks guys?

I must also mention that there are some super volunteers (Pain or Shine, that's you) who put in way more time and effort than they could ever be compensated for. I hope that you will have your payment in stacks of great karma while riding Tokai's trails!

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%.

But I think more of what I was asking of how we do it, was in terms of how do we get sanparks/whoever needs to give permission to have our OWN way in terms of trail construction etc.

I took a big stab into the dark yesterday by simply emailing ans asking whether i could arrange a meeting to see how the whole setup works with who owns the trails and maintains and i suppose to etc.

Just wanna get into their minds and see how they are working it, and how if possible we could work together in sorting it out.

doubt ill get a response, but hey, worth a shot.

Please let me know via private msg or anything when the maintenance days are. Def got 1 or 2 others that will come.

Ill be there. (provided i aint working my day job).

Whats stopping us from creating new trails, or offshoots on the current trails on maintenance days?

I know, being optimistic here, but seriously bored of the current trails ;) amped for some new super flowy world class freeride stuff!

I think we first need to be able to properly maintain the current trails that we have before thinking of starting any new trails. Take for example a trail like Cobra, awesome trail but it really needs some work and very few people are still riding it.

So how about rather first fixing up what we already have, the worst thing that can happen is if there are 10s of badly eroded trails all over the mountain, I dont think the conservation people (and anyone else for that matter) would be very happy to see that.

Whats stopping us from creating new trails, or offshoots on the current trails on maintenance days?

I know, being optimistic here, but seriously bored of the current trails ;) amped for some new super flowy world class freeride stuff!

Hey Bruce..

Don't start banging your head on the table yet.. or pine tree.. or pine tree table from Tokai for that matter.

Reading your two comments sums up the last ten years of carrot dangling from Parks' side, but the truth be told, that is the process! The politics that circle in that system must be IS enough to drive the most calm insane...

You have valid points, with the effort of the volunteers, all that labour should be put into something we can call our own! Agreed.. but do you have land with altitude in the city limits? Don't worry, very few can say they do and those who can are using it to profit in the alcohol trade. So we are left with the land that IS available belonging to Parks. Therefore we need to do things their way. Ever seen one of their tendering documents??

How do we get stuff done? The biggest factor is, as a group, adhere to the rules of the land. I was told again yesterday that "when on someones property, I need to stick to the rules!", this was over something so small ants would overlook it.. but it was a reminder that when permission is given to access the Parks ground, just stick to the rules.

There is a framework document that details the plan for the mountain until 2025. That stops us from carving new trails. Parks have the challenge of rehabilitation and providing recreation, rogue building without EIA approval means the noose get's pulled tighter in meetings. Hard to ask for a new trail when you are choking for the first half!!

DJR, spoke of the volunteer system.. (thanks BTW but I owe all that credit to... let's just call him Koos. He is Mr Tokai!) Volunteers have been the work force behind Tokai since it's inception. Parks are used to getting the trails worked on for free. They have provided a yearly budget that could buy a jar of peanut butter and a few provita, but somehow it has been enough to keep the trails alive. That needs to change and a few ideas have been thrown around, some seem to be quite promising.

The biggest leap fwd however has been the Epic! This not only got trails repaired (DH tracks are not being ignored!!) but has also seen a shift in thinking from Parks side. The Epic was in-fact invited to Tokai!

Volunteer days will be announced on the Hub and we need to turn up in full force to claim the responsibility of the trails. A handful of guys does not look like we are serious…

My brain is frazzled, a week in the sun! ..

Comments?

@ Pain or Shine

That is an anti brain-frazzle lid you have!

Just wear it to meetings from now on!

Thanks for the comments.

Is there any way of seeing that document somehow for the plan till 2025? (I doubt my body will still be able to ride down that mountain then... but oh well!)

And are those meetings they hold regarding the trails open to the public? would love to be part of one and see what kind of ideas and thoughts get put onto the table.

Still annoyed at the fact that WE have to pay money to ride there... and then WE have to put in the hours. and I know everyone else is as well.

Stupid system, but willing to pull weight until something happens... (sigh, hate saying this, cause i have my doubts if anything will)

Another question: when we go up for maintenance days, are we allowed to take bakkies up with dirt/water, and provide lifts?

That'd make a HUGE difference in being allowed to build sickass berms and jumps!

I'm sure out of all of us including myself I could find a contact for some clayish dirt from building sites. Pay the driver like R100 to dump the whole lot up there. (My dirt jump buddies always do that and end up with truckloads of dirt in their driveways for their parents to come home to and send them to their rooms! ;) )

I think we first need to be able to properly maintain the current trails that we have before thinking of starting any new trails. Take for example a trail like Cobra, awesome trail but it really needs some work and very few people are still riding it.

So how about rather first fixing up what we already have, the worst thing that can happen is if there are 10s of badly eroded trails all over the mountain, I dont think the conservation people (and anyone else for that matter) would be very happy to see that.

I must be honest here and say that most of the current trails are pretty done and dusted (yes i said it).

They have had sooo much traffic down them over the years that they are VERY worn out, and I personally think its time for some fresh starts...

Look at that berm on the dropin of the bottom section of the downhill track. It is LITERALLY like 1,5 meters underground now! decent berm... but wow... if that isnt erosion, i dunno what is.

Thanks for the comments.

Is there any way of seeing that document somehow for the plan till 2025? (I doubt my body will still be able to ride down that mountain then... but oh well!)

And are those meetings they hold regarding the trails open to the public? would love to be part of one and see what kind of ideas and thoughts get put onto the table.

Still annoyed at the fact that WE have to pay money to ride there... and then WE have to put in the hours. and I know everyone else is as well.

Stupid system, but willing to pull weight until something happens... (sigh, hate saying this, cause i have my doubts if anything will)

Another question: when we go up for maintenance days, are we allowed to take bakkies up with dirt/water, and provide lifts?

That'd make a HUGE difference in being allowed to build sickass berms and jumps!

I'm sure out of all of us including myself I could find a contact for some clayish dirt from building sites. Pay the driver like R100 to dump the whole lot up there. (My dirt jump buddies always do that and end up with truckloads of dirt in their driveways for their parents to come home to and send them to their rooms! ;) )

Have a look at TMNP's website..

http://www.sanparks.org/docs/parks_table_mountain/library/2009/final_tokai_cecilia_MF_report.pdf

Study for this report commenced in 2002 and started out as a 'Framework' for future use and conservation of Tokai and Cecelia areas. In 2005 after the study was complete and all participatory processes held, this report was given 'Plan' status and now serves for the way forward. These things are reviewed every 5 years according to Park policy.

If you have any leads on where clay is being excavated, please post!!

Apologies for missing the date, pretty bad as I started the thread, but have a valid excuse as I was away in NYC. Has another date been set?

A suggestion for labour .

Why dont we "hire " some of the guys that sit at the side of the road looking for work to help us on fixing the trails. Maybe we could hire a few to help us this way we can give back to the unemployed as well?

I will help on the trails with pleasure, just my work entails loads of week ends so it gets a bit hard :(

What has been fixed on the trails if I may ask?

A suggestion for labour .

Why dont we "hire " some of the guys that sit at the side of the road looking for work to help us on fixing the trails. Maybe we could hire a few to help us this way we can give back to the unemployed as well?

I will help on the trails with pleasure, just my work entails loads of week ends so it gets a bit hard :(

What has been fixed on the trails if I may ask?

makes good sense

hey guys.. There is a group we've used on bigger scale jobs where wheelbarrow is the only mode of transport. They work hard!! This last week we must have moved 20cubes of clay to some wrecked areas.. Just need some rain now, know anyone influential in that dept??

Just want to say thanks to MRT1 and MaruisD.. Fanks for de yelp!! We'll be advertising days again soon, keep an eye out for that..

Hey, the Epic rocked! Who was there..the pro riders absolutely carved through the tracks, clearing the double roots after the berm and some showing some style on the jumps!! Word is 'Tokai is awesome'.. looked li,ke mtb heaven on the box...

Could it be a regular event? Let's see.

hey guys.. There is a group we've used on bigger scale jobs where wheelbarrow is the only mode of transport. They work hard!! This last week we must have moved 20cubes of clay to some wrecked areas.. Just need some rain now, know anyone influential in that dept??

Just want to say thanks to MRT1 and MaruisD.. Fanks for de yelp!! We'll be advertising days again soon, keep an eye out for that..

Hey, the Epic rocked! Who was there..the pro riders absolutely carved through the tracks, clearing the double roots after the berm and some showing some style on the jumps!! Word is 'Tokai is awesome'.. looked li,ke mtb heaven on the box...

Could it be a regular event? Let's see.

Thanks man, yeah I rode a bit on Friday afternoon and saw you did some work on Vasbyt aswell its riding very nicely! Next time Im sure ill be able to find some more guys to help out just let us know a couple of days beforehand :)

Tokai is now faster than it has been for a while and it flows better.

I'm glad it was fixed before the Epic, because I saw lots of the middle field guys with iffy bike skills walking single track that my kids fly. Just imagine the carnage if it looked like two weeks ago. I suppose they just didn't want to take risks on day 1? Huge respect for the tandem riders doing the big berm and the roots below. It was also very impressive to see the front runners go up the hill at absolutely amazing speeds and good to hear that some also did some of the jumps.

I wonder who spray painted the red arrows on the plank jumps?

Just rode Tokai - been 2 years since I have been on a bike and was a little sketchy, but loved it. Was out on the new bike and really happy with her.

Seems quite a bit of work as been done to the trails - thanks to the builders. Mamba and Boomslang seemed to be really rutted out and wonder if they need a rest for a while? Perhaps a new alternative could be looked at allowing them to recover/be repaired? They used to great trails for me to take beginners on as an intro to the sport and now saw a few guys struggling.

I only really ride the DH trail, but which trails have you guys been fixing? Would love to give them a ride...

Also amping to help out on the next build day...