Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

Well according to the 2011 epic guide, this will be held on the 27 march. The route looks to start at the chrysallis academy then up past the restaurant towards silvermine and up and down and I thin towards the bridal path and then back down to the acadamy

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to the 2011 epic guide, this will be held on the 27 march. The route looks to start at the chrysallis academy then up past the restaurant towards silvermine and up and down and I thin towards the bridal path and then back down to the acadamy

That's right. 27th. Set to start from 7am me thinks, I know there will be a vehicle lock-down from that time..

The map shows they will be using the whole mountain with exception for the Bridal path (switchbacks) and DH routes. The course heads out towards Silvermine but does not include it. A Tokai exclusive!

PS Cameras will be relatively stationary, so look out for the gnarly sections to spectate, going to be good coverage there.The pros are starting last and moving up through the field. Added action!

NB This event is getting to be big on the international media calendar. Media has literally doubled from last year's event.. How good is that!

OK, guys, trail maintenance day set for Sunday (20th). Afternoon is always best as the numbers of trail users tend to subside by midday. The more guys/girls we have, the more we area we can cover in a day.

So, 1pm at the Tokai gate? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Bring water and hats.. and for those with keyboard hardened fingertips like mine, bring gloves! Tools and transport up 'n down will be provided.

Edited by PAIN OR SHINE

Will be there to help tommorrow.How many of you will be joining us???

:thumbup: MRT1!

2 from the Hub.. scary! I appreciate that the guys who were PM'd responded, not all of them can make it I know organising something at short notice is tricky.

..but we're on, there should be about 6/7 of us so far.

See you at the gate at 1.. !

only 2 from the hub? oi.. <_<

Cap, Monday's stint starts 'round 9 at the gate if you are still keen.

I'll ride the whole of Sunday morning and meet you there for some digging at 1pm (got a get out of jail pass from the my home affairs). What better way to us it?

OK, guys, trail maintenance day set for Sunday (20th). Afternoon is always best as the numbers of trail users tend to subside by midday. The more guys/girls we have, the more we area we can cover in a day.

So, 1pm at the Tokai gate? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Bring water and hats.. and for those with keyboard hardened fingertips like mine, bring gloves! Tools and transport up 'n down will be provided.

:thumbup: Looking forward to seeing what these trails are like :) 6 days, 17 hours to go!

Thanks to all volunteer hubbers who helped this afternoon, getting Tokai ready for the Epic!

And a reminder that you can have a another stab at doing your part tomorrow as well, giving something back to the sport you enjoy. Extra hands will always be wellcome. See above for get-together time and place.

If you are riding Tokai tomorrow and come across the guys working on the trail, why not stop and help, even if for only 15 minutes? If you don't want to get your nice white gloves dirty, at least say how much you appreciate what they are doing!

Thanks to all volunteer hubbers who helped this afternoon, getting Tokai ready for the Epic!

And a reminder that you can have a another stab at doing your part tomorrow as well, giving something back to the sport you enjoy. Extra hands will always be wellcome. See above for get-together time and place.

If you are riding Tokai tomorrow and come across the guys working on the trail, why not stop and help, even if for only 15 minutes? If you don't want to get your nice white gloves dirty, at least say how much you appreciate what they are doing!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WELL DONE GUYS

Would of loved to have been there but work gets in the way. Hopefully next time

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

so how much work's been done on the DH tracks?

ha ha.. see you later!

---

OK, I guess I need to answer that..

The Epic is at Tokai, the race organisers are very happy that it is here. There is a big push towards getting MTB up to an international level. Holding the event at Tokai was encouraged by the the very obstacle that has hindered growth over the last few years. Doors are open!

The bond at the moment between Parks and the Tokai usergroup has never been as good.. Will it last? Your positivity and enthusiasm to get involved and build the trails you want will be a deciding factor, or just sit back and let those who are doing something, do something but at least show support.

As I said on page 1, DH, XC, AM is considered mountain biking in the eyes of someone outside of the sport. Could those inside the sport please do the same..

The DH, XC and AM trails will each have their turn. We are starting on XC leading up to the the EPIC!!

:D

<_<.. maybe it's a good thing i woke up disgustingly late today... (u gonna hav eto forgive me as it's extremely rare that i wake up after 7am on a Monday :P :clap: )

This whole Tokai trails thing I find quite interesting.

the fact that there are, im thumbsucking, probably like 1500 riders that go up and ride down in total around 3 trails in a single weekend, seems ridiculous that there isn't someone employed fulltime to maintain the trails and build new ones... on a regular basis, as happens at most mtb destinations around the world??

It just doesn't make sense to me.

And always talking to others and just listening to people in this forum, it is frustrating...

Why is there nothing done on a regular basis? I can see from your comments and agree that cause there are sooo many different parties involved, no one really settles on a certain fact. But am I correct in saying that sanparks owns, or takes responsiblity for the land?

If that is the case, why can't we just get a petition or something demanding that something drastic be done. I mean my wild card fees alone for the last 2 years could've built like 1 berm! haha. (yes i do understand that there are a million other factors that require funds, it was a joke ;)

Also I'm not fully understanding that if nothing is going to be done properly... and we have to end up doing it all ourselves... then whats stopping us building our own new trails?

Would be cool i think to have a bit a of freedom to build, but under the supervision of a handful of individuals that no proper stuff about trail building and erosion factors and drainage factors and horseriding-hardcore-hooves-trashing-berms factors...

I must admit I am kinda small in my understanding of all the politics that go on up there... but would dig to be part of something that allows change! Or at least pushes towards it. It clearly isn't working proper in its current setup of landowners etc overseeing certain things.

What can we do that would REALLY turn mtb'ing in Cape town into a world destination for having world class trails?

As for location we kill all locations including Whistler... we are truely blessed!

The People and riders... we rock! haha

Trail maintenance... zero

Unique, awesome and fun trails that are one of a kind. Definitely not.

ALL these are so easy to fix though... we just gotta get the right people involved.

How do we do it?