Chain drop: SRAM X9 2x10

Chain-L

Hi All

Have some serious shifting problems with my new Sbike which has RAM X9 2x10 setup. Anybody with advice, or similar experience?

Bike has a 27-39 FSA SLK 386 cranks and X9 RD and FD. KMC X10SL, 10-speed chain.

The problem is that when I shift from large to small ring, the FD shifts, but the chain stays on the Large ring and then jams from below between the outside plate of the FD (which is now lined up with the large ring) and the chainring. Chain gets stuck here and it looks as if the RD will snap at any moment, as it is stretched very far towards the cranks. Chain almost completely wrapped around the large chainring (hope this makes sense).

Chain has also dropped on the outside of the chainrings when I did a fast bumpy descent on a district road, so not extreme terrain. I don't shift under pressure, and have been cycling for a few years, so it is not rider error.

A few ideas and suggestions I have had sofar:

Get a better Chain (from cannondale mechanic that looked at the bike after day one of this weekend GR 300)

Chain is too long causing to much slack (my own idea for a possible cause)

RD spring not tight enough causing slack chain (SRAM design fault-from other blogs)

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated that this is happening to my brand new bike!

Your FD could be catching on the chainring teeth. maybe try raising the FD a tiny bit. otherwise check the limit screws. all that i can think of from my understanding of your post...

Assuming all the bits are indeed 10 speed, I agree with Oli G - FD tuning needed.

Nothing wrong with that chain.

any mechanics out there?

Only some basic stuff...

Check that the gap between the biggest ring and the derailleur is 2-3mm when viewed from the drive side.

Check that the limit screws top and bottom are correct.

Thats me unfortunately...

Edit: had a reread and it sounds like the FD is too high. As above - when you look at the FD from the drive side there should be a gap of 2-3mm between the highest tooth on the big ring and the outer plate of the FD.

Good luck...

Edited by Eldron

Only some basic stuff...

Check that the gap between the biggest ring and the derailleur is 2-3mm when viewed from the drive side.

Check that the limit screws top and bottom are correct.

Thats me unfortunately...

Edit: had a reread and it sounds like the FD is too high. As above - when you look at the FD from the drive side there should be a gap of 2-3mm between the highest tooth on the big ring and the outer plate of the FD.

Good luck...

Yep fella.

It sounds like your FD could be set too high on the seat tube. When it is shifted out in line with the large (front) chainring you should have between 2-3mm of space between the top of the chainring teeth and the underside of the FD shift plate. Do that setup with the chain off.

Also make sure, that when viewed from the top, the outside of the shift plate is parallel with your chainrings.

I am basing this on your description. As you shift from middle to large chainrings it sounds like your chain is being jambed between the FD plate and the chainring teeth.

Third adjustment should be to the +- limit adjustment screws.1mm clearance max between the chain and inside of plate when in Large front/small rear and small front/large rear.

Hope that helps

Edited by The Drongo

Have you tried the White Lightning wax drivetrain lube...? Maybe the your chain is catching something it shouldn't.

I forgot to mention, the bike is brand new.

New or old a badly set FD is a badly set FD.

Have you tried the advice? Any good?

bike is at the dealer today to sort it out. Will only take it out on the weekend. road riding this week. Thanks for all the help!