Events

Matt Brammeier sustains severe injuries in high speed crash at Tour of Utah

· By Press Office · 42 comments

Matt Brammeier was involved in a high speed crash on stage 6 of the Tour of Utah. The Irishman collided with a service car on the descent from Guardsman Pass in Big Cottonwood Canyon. He was chasing back to the main peloton by the time.

ccs-62657-0-81052800-1439138813.jpg

After the crash ambulance transported Matt to hospital where he underwent several check ups. He is stable but sustained severe injuries to his pelvis, ribs and lung. The team wishes Matt a speedy recovery.

Matt Brammeier was involved in a high speed collision with a vehicle during the queen stage of the Tour of Utah. Thankfully, Matt has suffered no head, neck or spinal injuries and is currently stable in hospital. His musculoskeletal injuries are significant however. He suffered rib fractures on both sides as well as a small pneumothorax. He also has fractures of the sacral and pelvic bones. Matt is unlikely to require surgery but will need some time to recover from his injuries.
Dr Jarrad van Zuydam – Team Doctor

Comments

Mongoose!

Aug 9, 2015, 6:09 PM

Not good news.

Fisan

Aug 9, 2015, 8:55 PM

I hope his career will survive this. But it looks and sounds bad at the moment...

javadude

Aug 9, 2015, 9:22 PM

Jeez, he hit that car hard. He wasn't going to make that corner in any case, totally misjudged it.

Butterbean

Aug 9, 2015, 9:27 PM

Yoh that's a seriously sickening bunch of crashes. The first one was horrible, the second one with the motorbike was bad too. Wow. Strongs to all the riders involved.

Pure Savage

Aug 10, 2015, 6:37 AM

Yoh, there is misjudging and then there is misjudging. Massive something failed? Looked like scrubbed of zero speed. Hope his ribs and pelvis heal quick

Odinson

Aug 10, 2015, 7:05 AM

Chilling to watch, but if it wasn't due to a mechanical error (such as failed brakes), the fault lies 100% with the rider. There's no way in hell he would've made that switchback at that speed. 

Tumbleweed

Aug 10, 2015, 7:16 AM

Chilling to watch, but if it wasn't due to a mechanical error (such as failed brakes), the fault lies 100% with the rider. There's no way in hell he would've made that switchback at that speed. 

Ja, couldn;t see so great on the work monitor, but it looks like he did a stoppie just before impact...

jimmycool

Aug 10, 2015, 8:01 AM

Ja, couldn;t see so great on the work monitor, but it looks like he did a stoppie just before impact...

Yes, he went from a tail slide into a stoppie. If you play the video on 1/4 speed it is quite easy (and terrible) to see what happened and yes, if he didn't hit the car, who knows how far down the side of that mountain he would have gone.... joh.

Odinson

Aug 10, 2015, 8:41 AM

Wonder which is/was the lesser of two evils? Slamming into the Porsche or flying down the side of that mountain? 

xcd

Aug 10, 2015, 11:15 AM

I believe he had a mental shutdown.

His muscles took all the blood not allowing his brain enough to operate clearly..

Odinson

Aug 10, 2015, 12:01 PM

I believe he had a mental shutdown. His muscles took all the blood not allowing his brain enough to operate clearly..

I'm not sure whether this is a trolling comment or not. 

FrankG

Aug 10, 2015, 12:02 PM

The way that motorbike rides off after 2 people have just crashed into him, you would think he would do a u-turn and head back up the hill to warn other cyclists.

xcd

Aug 10, 2015, 12:09 PM

I'm not sure whether this is a trolling comment or not.

. I have been told by someone in the MtnQ team .maybe a Dr or someone with more medical knowledge can explain "mental shutdown " better.The bottom line is its very sad !
Mongoose!

Aug 10, 2015, 12:11 PM

Jeez, he hit that car hard. He wasn't going to make that corner in any case, totally misjudged it.

Maybe the car block his sight for a split second and he thought the corner was a little bit further? Anyway this could not a pleasant experience...eish.

Uni

Aug 10, 2015, 1:22 PM

Bloody hell. :(

Bonus

Aug 10, 2015, 2:25 PM

Damn he came in hot. I can't imagine he had a lapse of concentration, but that's what it looks like.

milky4130

Aug 10, 2015, 2:33 PM

Another view

http://youtu.be/Wv0rjqfKUZM

mazambaan

Aug 10, 2015, 2:39 PM

The first clip looks like he could never make it; the second possibly if you look at the rider who ran wide just before the cars came.

Methinks there have been a few too many riders nudged or obstructed by cars and motor bikes recently. Well, last 2 or 3 years.  Phinney comes to mind.

HappyMartin

Aug 10, 2015, 3:25 PM

Multiple rib fractures, fractured pelvis and internal injuries. Will require surgery but it seems only after a period that allows stabilization of injuries.

Insane accident. Thank goodness he is conscious and has no head injuries.

Too many cars around but the riders have a fit if they have to wait very long for a mechanical so I don't know what the solution to this might be.

FrankG

Aug 10, 2015, 3:44 PM

Cannot imagine what it must be like to sit on a saddle even after having recovered from a pelvic fracture.

HappyMartin

Aug 10, 2015, 4:08 PM

My ex broke her pelvis on a road ride. She was riding again after 5 weeks. Said it was OK. Guess it depends on severity.

Clinton H

Aug 10, 2015, 4:11 PM

I'm not sure if the car made it better or worse , if he had gone into the trees who knows what would have happened .

Sniffie

Aug 10, 2015, 4:18 PM

Multiple rib fractures, fractured pelvis and internal injuries. Will require surgery but it seems only after a period that allows stabilization of injuries.

Insane accident. Thank goodness he is conscious and has no head injuries.

Too many cars around but the riders have a fit if they have to wait very long for a mechanical so I don't know what the solution to this might be.

Unless he has been clipped by a car or motorbike before he came in to view, the amount of cars had nothing to do with his accident. The car he crashed into did nothing wrong, it followed a predictable line and speed through the corner. If you look care fully Matt came in to the corner already out of control.

It was an absolute horrific accident and I hope he will make a full recovery. Pro cycling certainly aint for the faint of heart!

(Deon)

Aug 10, 2015, 4:20 PM

No, he would definitely not have made that corner. Not a chance.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment