Can Aluminium be sandblasted?

Wedge

I want to strip the paint off my current frame to have the paint job redone. Is it possible to sandblast a frame and if so, is it possible to have this done safely without compromising the structural integrity of the bike?

I have worked with paint stripper in the past, but I would just like to see if there is an easier way to get the paint off.

The frame at hand is a rather bulky 6061 Aluminium MTB frame.

Thanks

Ruan

I want to strip the paint off my current frame to have the paint job redone. Is it possible to sandblast a frame and if so, is it possible to have this done safely without compromising the structural integrity of the bike?

I have worked with paint stripper in the past, but I would just like to see if there is an easier way to get the paint off.

The frame at hand is a rather bulky 6061 Aluminium MTB frame.

Thanks

Ruan

Find someone who can do soda ash blasting. It does the trick and does not cause damage to the surface. It is often used for classic car restoration.

Yes it can, but use professional blaster who knows what combinations of grit can be used.

Yeah, definitely. Just having my forks done as we speak, I sanded them down as much as possible only for the guy to ask me why I did it as he will blast it. :lol:

Thanks guys, I'll check on the soda blasting.

I also stumbled upon a site where a guy used plastic beads to blast his bike.

The problem is that I live in PE, I've heard that they roll up the tarred streets after 7pm at night, so finding someone that does soda blasting might be a challenge.

Even with a careful sand or Soda Ash blast, there will always be slight imperfections or pitting in the metal, that you might or might not see... I ended up wet sanding and polishing plenty to get a mirror finish for the paint on one the previous alu frames I had done..

I used Duro paint stripper on the last alu frame... removed the paint like it was butter... Used a pressure washer to take the bubbled paint of and didnt even have to touch it with scraper....

Even with a careful sand or Soda Ash blast, there will always be slight imperfections or pitting in the metal, that you might or might not see... I ended up wet sanding and polishing plenty to get a mirror finish for the paint on one the previous alu frames I had done..

I used Duro paint stripper on the last alu frame... removed the paint like it was butter... Used a pressure washer to take the bubbled paint of and didnt even have to touch it with scraper....

I also have experience with Duro, that stuff is evil!

Rather go with sandblasting with fine grains than paint stripper if you are going to re-paint it. (Important that the painer use the correct primer)

Paint stripper has to be very very thoroughly cleaned before re-paint, otherwise it will find its way out from the inside of the frame, pores, welds etc and make adhesion of the new paint less effective. Rather blast.

I bought a cheap blast gun from Builders warehouse and blasted my frame with sodium bicarbonate powder used to adjust the pH of swimming pools. Didn't even make a mark in the metal but took the paint off nicely. You'll need 20-30kg of the powder though which you can buy in 25kg bags if you find the right supplier. I was impatient and bought it in 2kg boxes from the pool section at Builders.

Edited by divernick

divernick: tell me about this cheap blasting gun you got from builders. what's your blasting setup like? I would like to clean up and repaint my old frame. Blasting seems to be the way to go to get it properly clean.

What about acid dip? Fast (like a day) and very cheap. I had a frame done last year.

Reading on other forums, with soda blasting you also have to make sure you thoroughly clean your frame before spraying, or the paint won't properly adhere to the surface.

strip most off with paint stripper............. then take it for blasting. That way it will spen less time being blasted.