Sliverback surprise. Giant Dissapointment

MuddyMike

I had a very intersting experience last week. I am a Mtb'r but need to spend some hours on a road bike to enhance my perfomance on the Mtb. So I needed to get my hands on a road bike - nothing fancy so I had my eye on a Giant TCR CD 20, but my LBS, who is an approved Giant retailer couldn't get stock as the SA Distributor was out of stock. Last week my LBS gives me a call to say that out of the blue Dragon sports has refused to supply them any more Giant products (This after my LBS has been pushing Giant and building the Giant brand) :huh: All I can think is this is once again the ugly head of SA cycle distributors playing politics again. Anyway it seems to me that Giant is playing a dangerous game by refusing to supply a LBS without very good reason. So now I cant get a Giant, but I did end up on a new Silverback RS1 - Aluminium frame with full 105 and a great wheelset for a price matched to the Giant with Tiagra / Tektro. Silverback were never on my "brand" list, but after spending some time in the saddle this past weekend, what a great ride and brilliant, unbeatable value. So if you are looking for a new steed check out SILVERBACK!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverback are making some serious headway with value for money, wait til the review of their Segma Nine 29er in the next issue, just the RRP is enough to arouse eyebrows!

As for Dragons, to be fair there is only the LBS's side of the story.

I agree Giant are great bikes. Silverback are awesome value. It's the behind the scenes sh#t that gets to me..... But I doubt that this is kind of thing is unique to the cycling industry....

Silverback are making some serious headway with value for money, wait til the review of their Segma Nine 29er in the next issue, just the RRP is enough to arouse eyebrows!

:thumbup: Be nice to hear Dragon's side of the story...

I had a very intersting experience last week. I am a Mtb'r but need to spend some hours on a road bike to enhance my perfomance on the Mtb. So I needed to get my hands on a road bike - nothing fancy so I had my eye on a Giant TCR CD 20, but my LBS, who is an approved Giant retailer couldn't get stock as the SA Distributor was out of stock. Last week my LBS gives me a call to say that out of the blue Dragon sports has refused to supply them any more Giant products (This after my LBS has been pushing Giant and building the Giant brand) :huh: All I can think is this is once again the ugly head of SA cycle distributors playing politics again. Anyway it seems to me that Giant is playing a dangerous game by refusing to supply a LBS without very good reason. So now I cant get a Giant, but I did end up on a new Silverback RS1 - Aluminium frame with full 105 and a great wheelset for a price matched to the Giant with Tiagra / Tektro. Silverback were never on my "brand" list, but after spending some time in the saddle this past weekend, what a great ride and brilliant, unbeatable value. So if you are looking for a new steed check out SILVERBACK!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As ever, I bet there is Giant/Dragon's side to the story. Like, for instance, maybe your LBS hasn't paid their bill or similar. Of course, your LBS will tell you this is the case, won't they? I thought so.

One question: you expect them to be loyal to your LBS, when you aren't? Can I quote you from your January post:

"So someone please remind me why we need a LBS?.............. My only loyalty is to my pocket!"

:D :D

@ onetrackmind, sure you can! I am not a fan of the local bike industry because of this kind of thing. I have spent plenty of cash with CRC over the past year with no issues whatsoever. I finally find a small "old school" LBS with great service and give them a bash and what happens??? The same old crap again with the SA bike industry...........

my immediate suspicion would be that there is an outstanding account to be paid - dragons been in the game a long while to do something silly...but all speculation only knowing one side of the story.

I cannot speak for the LBS but I do know them pretty well and I very very much doubt if it was an account issue.

my immediate suspicion would be that there is an outstanding account to be paid - dragons been in the game a long while to do something silly...but all speculation only knowing one side of the story.

Ya true, not that it's really important since the dude ended up with a pretty sweet ride :thumbup:

I reckon the politics in any industry can be like a big knitting circle, prefer to focus away from *** like that myself and just enjoy myself.

As everyone knows there are often 3 sides to a story, the LBS version, the supplier's version and the truth...

In the supplier's defense, last year a JHB bike store messed me around for weeks after I'd paid for a part and waited and phoned and emailed them and finally the embarrassed salesman tells me the local supplier won't send them the part until they pay their account.

So I asked for a refund and bought it somewhere else...I'm not inferring that this is the case here but just sharing an experience I had. Before someone says how could I pay for a part before receiving it...? because it was a special order for a part they don't normally stock.

OT, but why does a big LBS like CWC not stock Giant.......... suppose its old news, but please share.

Would that be the next issue of tread dd, by the looks of things the "local" brands are upping the ante wrt value for money 29ers, the momsen 29ers also seem good value.