MTB vs Road Bike

saaymac

Hi...

I'm pretty new to cycling and attempting to finish the Argus this year, only got half way last year and bailed! I did all my training for this year on a pretty heavy MTB. What I want to know is would it be to my detriment if I went out and I buy a road bike tomorrow and attempt the Argus on that?

Ta

quite possibly - if your body isn't used to the position on your new road bike, or if it isn't the right fit for you, it could end up ruining your ride.

If, however, you get a bike that fits properly, and is your size and you are comfortable on it, the benefits of the lighter frame and whole package will help you do a much faster time. Just remember that you won't be used to the position on the bike, so you could get a few pains in the back or shoulders...

Why now and not a month ago but most likely yes.

go ride it around before the argus. get a few buddies to go with you so that you can proctise handling hte bike, it's a little different from the one you're used to. also a bit more sensitive to cat-eyes and debris lying around, and i found the tubes far more difficult to change than mtb.

slicks on your heavy MTB would go a long way, but a raodie bike would be faster if there's no accidents or flat tyres.

Thx gents will sleep on it and see what I feel like when I wake up tomorrow! @ gummibear a month ago I was not sure I want to do the Argus but now trainig was good and I'm enjoying getting on the bike and riding, so I guess I wanted to see if I wanna take up cycling as a hobby/sport etc

Ta :clap:

saaymac - rather stick with the bike you know; your body knows it and it will be more comfortable, plus the gearing is milder.

After the Argus, there are great "end of season sales" so you should be able to make a good buy if you still want a road bike.

saaymac - rather stick with the bike you know; your body knows it and it will be more comfortable, plus the gearing is milder.

After the Argus, there are great "end of season sales" so you should be able to make a good buy if you still want a road bike.

+1

Enjoy the Argus, do it on the bike you are used to. Forget about the time.

If you finish the Argus, you can reward yourself with a new bike.

Buying a bike in a hurry is never a good idea. Take your time to find the bike which is right for you.

The gearing on a road bike is generally a lot different - you might miss those low mtb gears up Smit Winkels, Chappies etc or having to grind against the South Easter!

Don't buy a bike in a hurry.

If you bailed last year, just try to finish comfortably this year.

Then wait a few weeks before you make your final decision.

A road bike is much faster than a MTB, but there are a few minor differences ito body position, riding style, gearing and handling that you first need to get used to to make it a worthwile purchase.

I second that, stick to the bike you know, you are now aiming just to finish and not to do a sub 3 ? The gearing and your position changes alot. you will miss your small front cog going up suikerbossie.

I reckon stick to the mtb. My mate rides compact gears said the only reason I beat him is my gearing 53-11 is faster than his. I ride his he rode mine, my bike killed him. Stick to what you know for now!

I second that, stick to the bike you know, you are now aiming just to finish and not to do a sub 3 ? The gearing and your position changes alot. you will miss your small front cog (CHAINRING) going up suikerbossie.

/quote]

Hey DANGLE - Comments? :D

ooh and if you have knobblies fit slicks!

Probably the upgrade you should consider...makes a massive difference on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

I'm pretty new to cycling and attempting to finish the Argus this year, only got half way last year and bailed! I did all my training for this year on a pretty heavy MTB. What I want to know is would it be to my detriment if I went out and I buy a road bike tomorrow and attempt the Argus on that?

Ta

how did it go, what bike did you take, did you enjoy the ride and will you be back?