What hardtail...

Helga

Curious to see what hardtails would be considered good value for money/bang for the buck in the R8k to R12k bracket. If I can get my knee to come to the party I am in need of a new mtb and have been looking at the Silverback line-up of bikes.

I considered the Silverback Shift 2 but it is apparently unavailable locally leaving only the Spectra and Ventura. What other bikes from different brands would you guys recommend I take a look at?

The KTM bikes at Cycle Lab look neat, but aside from that I haven't really looked at what is available yet :blush:

Scott, very light bikes and suberb warantee service. A good buy in my opinion :thumbup:

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

The GT's are good frames but they come with pretty low grade components. I reckon the upper silverbacks seem to come with nice groupsets.

How about the Mongoose meteore team...

If its a 26" frame youre looking at the Giant XTC is a great buy, going for cheap as chips at the moment. My mate paid about R2200 for his.

If its a 26" frame youre looking at the Giant XTC is a great buy, going for cheap as chips at the moment. My mate paid about R2200 for his.

Holy mother of panda! :o ... that is a bargain!

Pricing on the Silverback 29ers is something else, really really good value!

Holy mother of panda! :o ... that is a bargain!

Pricing on the Silverback 29ers is something else, really really good value!

I know, he keeps reminding me how much he paid.

Where? I upgraded my Alias to XT groupset, just need a new frame now...

I always been a Giant for MTBing, so have a look at the Giant.

You should consider this if it is the right size. One of the nicest alu hardtail frames around. Its the top of the mongoose hardtail race frames and is really light (mine weighs 1350g). Really comfy ride too. Its cheap and you could easily put some seriously trick toys on there with the extra R8,000 you were going to spend.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/166-mongoose-meteore-team-ht-frame/

Where? I upgraded my Alias to XT groupset, just need a new frame now...

I always been a Giant for MTBing, so have a look at the Giant.

It was at Cyclesphere in Durbs, not sure if it was just old stock they wanted to get rid of. They may just have something left, can always call them - 031 312 2559. http://www.cyclesphere.co.za/shop.php

They are the biggest Giant Dealer in Durban.

Kind of related to this, i'm thinking of selling my girlfriends hardtail. It is a medium Schwinn Moab, with fox fork, mavic crossmax wheels, v-brakes, XO RD and shifters, XTR FD, easton carbon bars, race face crank.

What kind of price am i looking at - in ZAR or in nappies.

Yeah? How much is that again?

:P

Its what kinda put me off respraying my old hardtail 26" frame, no point :(

Kind of related to this, i'm thinking of selling my girlfriends hardtail. It is a medium Schwinn Moab, with fox fork, mavic crossmax wheels, v-brakes, XO RD and shifters, XTR FD, easton carbon bars, race face crank.

What kind of price am i looking at - in ZAR or in nappies.

Biltong is the currency of choice :thumbup: