How does this guy get a D start for the Argus?

Spat

I don't think they do.

<being polite, they don't>

Well I overtook some old oomies with thei B-E numbers already at Boyes Drive....some at Wineberg hill....so I am sure it must have some effect

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I overtook a few A/B/C/D riders on my way to the finish. Even a VA or two. Guess it's just luck of the draw.

My only issue is that if guys are seeded in a group that is far more 'advanced' than what their capabilities are and become a hazard to groups behind them, they could cause a crash by their inexperience or lack of time in the saddle doing group rides.

"My only issue is that if guys are seeded in a group that is far more 'advanced' than what their capabilities are and become a hazard to groups behind them, they could cause a crash by their inexperience or lack of time in the saddle doing group rides."

Now we getting somewhere.

Well done Sir...K

Edited by Newest

No wonder PPA ignore my emails when I mail them - they are too busy receiving k@k emails from some guy moaning about another guy's seeding, overloading the whole system.

Damn you!

No...not moaning....WHINING !

The way i understand the seeding is that they use certain races that qualify for seeding. Your best one of those races counts. I ride Argus with my wife and they seed us according to my seeding only.

They are supposed to seed you according to the worst seeding of the couple/group

No they ignoring your email because it probably has very little value just like your post above.

oi, Spat, dont get personal. Please dont.

Dont forget guys,

You are definitely going to be passing guys from all numbers throughout the race.

The last qualifying race that they may have done may have been over a year ago.

Then they stop cycling for a year and come back and do the argus.

Still got the B seeding, so they start there, but get dropped under the civic center.

Now this dude in question has never had a "good" seeding ride so this is not the case for him.

But talking about passing guys.

I started the race two hours late.

"Bike" problems, never change anything the day before a race.

So I started casually in LL eventually.

There was already guys walking up boys drive when I got there.

Not just one, but many!

How on earth would they have finished :blink:

But talking about passing guys.

I started the race two hours late.

"Bike" problems, never change anything the day before a race.

So I started casually in LL eventually.

There was already guys walking up boys drive when I got there.

Not just one, but many!

How on earth would they have finished :blink:

welcome to the back markers....... :D

"My only issue is that if guys are seeded in a group that is far more 'advanced' than what their capabilities are and become a hazard to groups behind them, they could cause a crash by their inexperience or lack of time in the saddle doing group rides."

Now we getting somewhere.

Well done Sir...K

Hey there, I rode the Argus after not having ridden for almost a year, rode a 3h11 from 'B'. Chilled and good fun! I have never ridden lower than A / VA so to see the race from the back of this group was a riot.

In answer to the above comment, the only guys I saw causing crashes were the leaders from the faster guys in Groups behind, they would catch up, 'literally SCREAM in panic to keep left, hold your line!' all while the rest of their 'Race' group where trying to squeeze through the very side they were yelling at the guys to stay! HaHa what chaos....

Viva Fun Rider World Champs, Viva!

How is this for value then:

several people that I know who got substitution entries were seeded way above their abilities. Perhaps when they do a swap, they find the closest match if possible.

So much for your conspiracy theory/persecution complex...

I doubt seriously that they would substitute a guy that probably beliongs in L to D 8 or 9 groups up, and this guy never substituted.

Dont have a persecution complex, like I said before I am happy with my start, ride and result, was merely pointing out that it looks as if the seeding process was not really applied in this instance.

There are many reasons for a slow ride. 2009 I roped in a bunch of people from the office to ride. I had a D seeding that year. Everyone dropped me the day before. I decided I would still start from D even though I had done no preparation for a fast ride. Took the old heavy hardtail MTB out for a run around the route with the intent of going nowhere slowly. Stopped at every spot that looked like it had some vibe. 3 guys were jamming under a makeshift bar in St James. Pulled in for a beer and a boerie there. On Smits pulled over for eggs on toast with another camper and his skottel. Stopped in Noordhoek and chatted to some people and chowed one of their kebabs. Cruised through to Suikerbossie and more beers and chow. Easy ride to Camps and a dip in the ocean and revving some spectators. Roll over the finish 6 hours and 13 minutes plus change from the start and what a lekka day out. Chatted to the most interesting people and pushed the struggling people where I could. A fun day of note!

Spat, like all things, some stuff will work out for some people and for others it wont. You take the good with the bad. Overall the seeding system has its flaws, but it certainly presents a workable solution to getting 35000 people on bicycles and around the city on a day of cycling magic. It is also the most realistic way of giving each one of us an appropriate start time. There will be mistakes, but so be it. Don't worry about this chap. He got all the lesson he needs in trying to hang onto a bunch that obviously dropped him quite quickly and rode a slower time than he would've had he been in a bigger group of similar strength riders.

See you at the races, whichever group you're in!

There are many reasons for a slow ride. 2009 I roped in a bunch of people from the office to ride. I had a D seeding that year. Everyone dropped me the day before. I decided I would still start from D even though I had done no preparation for a fast ride. Took the old heavy hardtail MTB out for a run around the route with the intent of going nowhere slowly. Stopped at every spot that looked like it had some vibe. 3 guys were jamming under a makeshift bar in St James. Pulled in for a beer and a boerie there. On Smits pulled over for eggs on toast with another camper and his skottel. Stopped in Noordhoek and chatted to some people and chowed one of their kebabs. Cruised through to Suikerbossie and more beers and chow. Easy ride to Camps and a dip in the ocean and revving some spectators. Roll over the finish 6 hours and 13 minutes plus change from the start and what a lekka day out. Chatted to the most interesting people and pushed the struggling people where I could. A fun day of note!

Spat, like all things, some stuff will work out for some people and for others it wont. You take the good with the bad. Overall the seeding system has its flaws, but it certainly presents a workable solution to getting 35000 people on bicycles and around the city on a day of cycling magic. It is also the most realistic way of giving each one of us an appropriate start time. There will be mistakes, but so be it. Don't worry about this chap. He got all the lesson he needs in trying to hang onto a bunch that obviously dropped him quite quickly and rode a slower time than he would've had he been in a bigger group of similar strength riders.

consider yourself Red Carded. Sensible posts are not allowed.

Good one Tube. Nicely Summarised.

Now that is what a road ride should be like!!! Anything else and I'll stick to dirt.

I am not worried, not at all phased about this guy and his performance etc, was trying to make the point that the system is flawed and we all know that so its not worth chatting about.

Should not have bothered with this post will turn a blind eye in future. ;)