Formula 1...

'Dale

'The one thing Ferrari didn't need to change was its leading driver. So it will change its leading driver.' - Pablo Elizalde

:wacko:

"If you need evidence to back up the assertion of Fernando doing quite well by Ferrari then you only need a cursory glance at the numbers. Only Alonso has won a race there during his five-year spell in Maranello – indeed he’s won no fewer than 11 of them. In that time almost never has a Ferrari car been the raw pace standard bearer; there have only been two poles won in the dry – both by Alonso natch – and they both were four plus years back. He somehow very nearly won two titles. The Spaniard’s claimed 1162 points, his various team mates’ total is 541.

This year, with a fellow world champion stable mate who was supposed to match him – some reckoned would ‘find him out’ even – he’s been even further ahead than usual. All the while, the consensus view was firmed up that he is the number one driver in contemporary F1.

- See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/09436#sthash.iUPoSvFq.dpuf

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Love this quote

If you think Ferrari’s in bother now then subtract Alonso’s personal contribution and you’ve got bother being something you flashed past a while ago as you are stranded in your runaway handcart.

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Love this quote

If you think Ferrari’s in bother now then subtract Alonso’s personal contribution and you’ve got bother being something you flashed past a while ago as you are stranded in your runaway handcart.

That article makes for interesting reading.

"On Ferrari’s modus operandi it is worth reflecting that Ferrari has quite a history of building a driver up to revered status, only to later knock them down, and hound them out.  Several names apply. Juan Manuel Fangio left the team after a single unhappy season. John Surtees stormed out in mid-1966 after a series of run-ins with the eccentric team manager Eugenio Dragoni. Niki Lauda fell seriously out of love when the Scuderia, mainly as it lost faith in him both clumsily and egregiously following his fiery Nurburgring accident. Gilles Villeneuve – often cited as the quintessential Ferrari driver – spent the last two weeks of his life utterly disillusioned with the squad for not backing him after being ‘duped’ by team mate Didier Pironi in Imola, and resolved to leave. Alain Prost was chased out amid a time-honoured Maranello meltdown in late 1991. We know the one about him comparing his Ferrari to a truck; less well-remembered is that when he did so he was referring to the car’s handling after the shock absorbers had failed, rather than generally. Even Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari departure was messy. There are other worthy pilots ushered out of the factory gates that could be listed in addition to these.

"Indeed, ushering Alonso ever so subtly towards the exit door due a perceived lack of long-term commitment has distinct echoes of Schumacher’s last days at Maranello. Schumi, by then 37 years of age, was cautious about committing and Luca Montezemolo in response snapped up Kimi Raikkonen. One thing led to another and Schumi indeed ‘retired’ at the season’s end, though it was pretty clear to most that he felt he’d been forced out, and ahead of time. "

Edited by Iwan Kemp

That article makes for interesting reading.

"On Ferrari’s modus operandi it is worth reflecting that Ferrari has quite a history of building a driver up to revered status, only to later knock them down, and hound them out.  Several names apply. Juan Manuel Fangio left the team after a single unhappy season. John Surtees stormed out in mid-1966 after a series of run-ins with the eccentric team manager Eugenio Dragoni. Niki Lauda fell seriously out of love when the Scuderia, mainly as it lost faith in him both clumsily and egregiously following his fiery Nurburgring accident. Gilles Villeneuve – often cited as the quintessential Ferrari driver – spent the last two weeks of his life utterly disillusioned with the squad for not backing him after being ‘duped’ by team mate Didier Pironi in Imola, and resolved to leave. Alain Prost was chased out amid a time-honoured Maranello meltdown in late 1991. We know the one about him comparing his Ferrari to a truck; less well-remembered is that when he did so he was referring to the car’s handling after the shock absorbers had failed, rather than generally. Even Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari departure was messy. There are other worthy pilots ushered out of the factory gates that could be listed in addition to these.

"Indeed, ushering Alonso ever so subtly towards the exit door due a perceived lack of long-term commitment has distinct echoes of Schumacher’s last days at Maranello. Schumi, by then 37 years of age, was cautious about committing and Luca Montezemolo in response snapped up Kimi Raikkonen. One thing led to another and Schumi indeed ‘retired’ at the season’s end, though it was pretty clear to most that he felt he’d been forced out, and ahead of time. "

Dude, it hurt my brain. Not because of the content, but due to the constant switch between good grammar and something resembling fish soup. 

At times, I had to re-read a sentence thrice over in order to determine the correct sequence of adverbs, vowels and adjectives. 

I like Vic Maharaj's Idea.

All cars are fitted with GPS transmitters.

Using a similar system to DRS and Pit lane limitation, in areas of danger (such as Bianchi's) limit all cars entering the area to pit speeds. No one loses out in the race as the slowing down applies to everyone.

Then you drastically reduce the chance of death/serious injury if there is a mistake made by either driver/marshal etc.

Really good idea that,

Okay in principle, but it could have catastrophic consequences as a result of the drastic change in speeds when drivers aren't expecting it, unless it's a driver initiated slowdown. The thing with pit lane limitations is that everyone knows you have to slow down by THAT line. On the circuit it'd be an imaginary line somewhere between the 2 zones, or at the beginning of the next zone. There are just too many variables to enable that to become an appropriate measure, and imo Vic has (as per normal) not thought it through before he suggested it...

Imo this was a freak accident and the yellow zone should have extended to the entry of the corner as well as the exit... you can't really initiate a slowdown in those conditions halfway through a corner...

I could be completely wrong, of course, but I don't think it'd be a solution to the problem that presented itself here.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Yeah, Mac had an interesting thought, but I dont think its practical to implement. Imagine the situation like Bianchi's where someone has had an accident on a fast (aerodynamic) turn. So you, as the unknowing driver, are full throttle through this turn (aero requires speed), and then this system cuts in.

How does it do this?

Apply brakes?

Cut engine power?

Either way, good luck keeping that car on the road, cause in my limited track experience, lifting off mid corner is a sure way to become Kenny Block (without the driving skills to get the car back in line).

Yeah, Mac had an interesting thought, but I dont think its practical to implement. Imagine the situation like Bianchi's where someone has had an accident on a fast (aerodynamic) turn. So you, as the unknowing driver, are full throttle through this turn (aero requires speed), and then this system cuts in.

How does it do this?

Apply brakes?

Cut engine power?

Either way, good luck keeping that car on the road, cause in my limited track experience, lifting off mid corner is a sure way to become Kenny Block (without the driving skills to get the car back in line).

Lift off oversteer - very dangerous and very difficult if not impossible to control. Especially when going as fast as that, in those conditions

This topic has come up again.

http://cdn-4.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/400000/450000/457000/457200/457284/s6_121939/f1-rendering-of-a-closed-cockpit-ferrari-f1.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw that abomination!!!

On the Bianchi incident, has an telemetry been released to show his speed at the time of the incident.

I know they say it he lost the rear entering the left hand turn, then over-corrected which spun the car, launched it from the curb over the gravel trap in into the crane. Seems like you would have to be going pretty fast to accomplish all of this.

On the Bianchi incident, has an telemetry been released to show his speed at the time of the incident.

I know they say it he lost the rear entering the left hand turn, then over-corrected which spun the car, launched it from the curb over the gravel trap in into the crane. Seems like you would have to be going pretty fast to accomplish all of this.

What has been reported is that it was a 50G impact and that he aquaplaned. 

I'm a Merc fan but this has ended up being a bit of a boring season...in terms of fighting for the championship. Would have been nice if Ferrari, Bulls and Mclaren would be closer.

I agree to what Crofty just said: 

Hamilton goes nearly seven tenths clear at the top. "That settles that then, let's all go home, this is one for Mercedes," jokes Crofty.

The gap is a bit just too big this year. Was red bull ever this far ahead? probably... but then everyone complained too :) 

Apart from that the fight between Hamilton and Rosberg that's interesting... let's hope for some more wheel to wheel battles!!

If Hamilton wins the next 3 with Ros 2nd... he will lead 31 points. Rosberg will still have a chance with 50 points up for grabs  :ph34r:  at the last race.

Like I said before, Nico is done. Lewis is absolutely dominating him. Lewis was absolutely untouchable in FP2 today, I dont know who watched it, but I did. Man on a mission. Like others said before, such a pity about the double points. and that on the kakkest track of the year. Zero overtaking possible, borefest, Yas Marina bay.

I agree. Looks like a Ducks head :cursing: .

If it was a 50G impact and from watching the video footage I don't think an enclosed cockpit would have made any difference, unless it was one out of a Top Fuel drag car.

Think of some of the Le Mans LMP1 crashes over the last few years.