Silly Commuting Racing

Hardtailrider

Deny it? Ppfff, this is what commuting is all about. Of course, I am full-sus mountain biker on knobblies with hairy legs (concealed under jeans) wearing a backpack, so almost everyone on the road is a target :D

this is so me! On my ss, with baggies and backpack, I'm totally convinced I can take anyone (i definitly can't though), from the dude on his game special to the lycred-up roadie - I'll even take on the robots and the odd car, not even going to mention the pure joy of cutting through traffic, riding in the middle of the road against traffic and of course running every red light possible...

commuting, it's more than just a way of travel, it's a lifestyle!

My FCN is 5

Edited by EigerSA

• 2 months later...

I was reading a "commuting by bike" information booklet in a UK cycling magazine last night. It had a section on SCR.

I was interested to see if the rules covered whether a passer acknowledges a passee as I regularly get passed by commuter in lycra on a geared mtb with slicks. So far he has never uttered a word or made any gesture.

Unfortunately the rules are silent on the matter. Does anyone know whether the "unwritten rules" cover this topic?

Edited by I FLY

I'm guilty as charged, my last SCR was 3 weeks ago - loved the look on the guys face as I eventually outpaced him (after 4km) on my commuter, hairy legs and pannier bag :)

This is the only reason I am getting Tarmac to build me up a fixie. Also, before I moved back here from London this was the only type of road racing I knew. Anything that moves is fair game. Roadies, cars, buses, trains, motorbikes (tough to beat) - they're all asking to be diced with.

• 2 months later...

SCR - commuting - come on guys ............... its street fighting out there at the best of times !!! :thumbup:

Me on my MTB , hairy legs , back pack , miss matched clothes on the way home and anyone or anything is fair game - not that i always catchenpass :blush:

But I just love it when I pass those stuckup roadies with a clang on bell (yes I do have one )say howzit and ride on buy with no response from Mr. Lycra ! And I just love it when they do respond and the race is on - interval training at it's best

So you guys who get passed on the BRT route by a very old geezer who rings his bell at you - that's me - say HI !!! we could just have a jam session of note ! :clap:

haha! my average speed while commuting is very often faster than my morning ride :) my race involve cars though, there is one particular jeep that takes the same route as i do and it has become an unsaid race between the 2 of us to see who can cover the 8.9km's the fastest. thanks to traffic i usually win :)

I can't wait for the summer SCR to start - 21 September the sun rises at 6am for the first time after winter and the commute from Paulshof / Lonehill to Midrand is ON

Singlespeed MTB vs all comers.

again I debate the hierarchy...surely a full suss on gumboots klaps a brompton anyday

and electric bikes have come a long way, holy crap they're up their with scooters but oh so quiet...i found that one out the hard way when a dress wearing amsterdamsel cruises past me whilst jabbering on her phone