Ironman SA - 10 April

Thug

Congrats to all the guys and girls? that finished.

Does anyone have any info on this guy in baggies and plakies?

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215481_10150149398139843_707044842_6756774_538487_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/218121_10150149413879843_707044842_6756936_136262_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215719_10150149414159843_707044842_6756937_6985197_n.jpg

Baggy Man apparently finished in 16 hours and a bit of change... wow!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All The Iron Man 2011 finishers...

Well done.

You are heroes and heroines.

Courage.

Thats nuts. I didn't see him out there, although the water was pretty warm so no wetsuit wouldn't have been that big a deal.

I had a bit of a shocker. Lost an hour on the bike when I broke a spoke on my wheel and had to wait for a mechanic to turn up and get me going again. After that I rode way to hard trying to catch up and then blew so the last lap of the bike and the run were tough going. 13:44 meant I was out there for two hours longer than planned and it made for a long day!

Anyway it is a good race, nice course, good support, well organized and we got really and truely lucky with the weather. I think every single course record was smashed. I was also quite impressed with PE, it is a nicer place than I had imagined.

Well done to all those of you who made it.

Baggy Man apparently finished in 16 hours and a bit of change... wow!

He is Mike from Bloemfontein and 46 years old.

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.

1:10:30 6:32:48 5:08:21 13:07:16 842 99

I just wonder if he left his racing kit at home or was this for charity or is he just a sucker for pain?

Edited by gummibear

Hijack on:

Did anyone see the Russian pair doing Cape Epic with flat pedals and running shoes?

Bijack

I just wonder if he left his racing kit at home or was this for charity or is he just a sucker for pain?

he he, that's the spirit - wouldn't mind seeing the 29er with knobblies he rode.

must have had the officials scrambling through the rule books looking for a transgression.

i think he does it for charity. My mate spoke to him afterwards and he said the guy said its for some charity. My feet buggered from running shoes wonder what his are like after slops.

The guy in baggies was raising awareness for school kids without shoes. to run 42km in flip flops is heavy going.

I had a good swim (by my standards) of 1.15, 5.55 bike, and blew the second lap of the run horribly, to finish in 12.14.

great event!!!

if you had to give people some advise for people that want to do it next year what would you say to them?? I think this must be on of the toughest this in life to do!!

if you had to give people some advise for people that want to do it next year what would you say to them?? I think this must be on of the toughest this in life to do!!

get a coach or a proper Ironman training program

get a coach or a proper Ironman training program

Any recommendations with regards to getting a plan? Really determined to do it next year, but not sure where to get a proper plan. Been going for some swim technique coaching to ensure that i am doing thing correct. Decent cyclist so my limiter is the running...which i am prepared to work on.

Been reading Joe Friels book, busy with "Going long" now. this hasnt helped me much in getting closer to a plan, although i have a better understanding. Also considering the guys from Livestruck.

Any comments will help! :)

sorry I was a bit flippant before, I didn't notice he was wearing slops on the run... just spotted the baggies and thought I could do that. I saw some other idiot running barefoot as well. He was quick.

Any recommendations with regards to getting a plan? Really determined to do it next year, but not sure where to get a proper plan. Been going for some swim technique coaching to ensure that i am doing thing correct. Decent cyclist so my limiter is the running...which i am prepared to work on.

Been reading Joe Friels book, busy with "Going long" now. this hasnt helped me much in getting closer to a plan, although i have a better understanding. Also considering the guys from Livestruck.

Any comments will help! :)

I used Going Long and built a program around it.

Work on your weak points. This race is about the run. The swim is the warm-up, the bike is about saving your legs for the run, then the race really starts on the 2nd half of the run.

I swam twice (or thice) a week, did one IDT and one longish bike a week, and ran 4 - 5 times a week and it worked out perfectly.

The Livestruck guys are a really great crowd and Stu is a good all round guy, but if you want to race I suggest finding a racier crowd.

If you want a program I can help you with an excel spreadsheet I used.

My goal time was a sub 12 hour and notwithstanding having a disappointing marathon, I still managed an 11:52.

I definitely know that I have it within me to go sub 11 hours next year.

My goal time was a sub 12 hour and notwithstanding having a disappointing marathon, I still managed an 11:52.

I definitely know that I have it within me to go sub 11 hours next year.

well done Thug. I managed to take an hour off last years time. I ended up doing a 12h 42. Great swim great bike and an awesome walk :lol: had a good day though