Giant problem

Mr Legs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Omnico does not do Giant. In fact, it is Dragons Sports that imports Giant into the country.

I have had nothing but great service from them, and Giant. I am on my 8th Giant MTB. I have never had a paint issue on any of them.

Irrespective of any warranty, paint should not start bubbling after only 2 years. Sweat should not affect it either. You mentioned how old your Gary Fisher is. Has the paint started to bubble on that? It seems as if there is a manufacturing fault on your bike.

Perhaps it is time to put the new Consumer Protection Act to the test.

Not defending Giant here, but any ally bike gets paint lifting and corrotion if sweat is not washed off it. The first place it happens is at the cable stops on the top tube / headset area.

in saying that, My Giant XTC 29er paint scratches ridiculously easy.

Mr Legs Google the term "Corrosive sweat".

Have had the similar issues with MTB's in the past and have seen it on quite a few other guys bikes...if you know it's something that you are prone to best advice is to clean / rinse sweat off your bike after a ride, catch the problem early and take care of it before it manages to get too bad.

Mr Legs Google the term "Corrosive sweat".

Have had the similar issues with MTB's in the past and have seen it on quite a few other guys bikes...if you know it's something that you are prone to best advice is to clean / rinse sweat off your bike after a ride, catch the problem early and take care of it before it manages to get too bad.

Yeah, I washed it once a week and more often if we went through mud. Used it 4-5 times a week, that is a minimum of 3 trips without a wash!

Edited by Mr Legs

I usually start off all diligent whenever I got a new bike but eventually laziness gets the better of you and you let it slip. My newest one gets treated like a baby though...it's a powdercoated finish so I'm hoping will last a bit better.

Not defending Giant here, but any ally bike gets paint lifting and corrotion if sweat is not washed off it. The first place it happens is at the cable stops on the top tube / headset area.

in saying that, My Giant XTC 29er paint scratches ridiculously easy.

I've also got the XTC 29er - ditto on the easy scratching, but still an awesome ride :)

I have a 2008 Giant Anthem 1 and the clear coat on the frame near the top of the down tube is coming off. Not sure if it's relevant here but it's another Giant with paint problems.

I've also got the XTC 29er - ditto on the easy scratching, but still an awesome ride :)

I've noticed that the paint accents on my Talon 29er have scuffed easily, but not the main white paint. I don't really care though. It's a mountain bike, right?

An update:

Got the bike back. Giant says the paint only has a one year warranty. They did not issue any warnings about the frame, so I assume I can still use the bike. I bought the bike end of January 2009. Pity that I did not act when I noticed the problem for the first time as it would have been well within the warranty period. Lesson learned. The okes from Giant did however fix the head. They noticed that I sweat a lot and that caused a bit of a problem, whether the sweat was also the cause of the paint problem I do not know.

I also know that the gents from Giant monitor the posts on the Hub and that they do not like any posts that may show their product in a negative light. I am also in business and get seriously peeved when our product is critisized. But I also bend over backwards to try and keep my customer satisfied, irrespective of whether he is right or wrong. So Gentlemen from Giant: Thank you for fixing the head set for free and secondly if I have any of my facts wrong, please contact me and I will gladly rectify.

O, and could you perhaps tell me where I can have the paint job done?

Eat less Nando's . . . ?

I also know that the gents from Giant monitor the posts on the Hub and that they do not like any posts that may show their product in a negative light. I am also in business and get seriously peeved when our product is critisized. But I also bend over backwards to try and keep my customer satisfied, irrespective of whether he is right or wrong. So Gentlemen from Giant: Thank you for fixing the head set for free and secondly if I have any of my facts wrong, please contact me and I will gladly rectify.

Well it's a forum... They have the ability to respond to the criticism and get rid of the negativity, but I don't see any responses coming from them. Other distributors / shops use this to great effect e.g. CWC, ASG, etc.

I had a Giant carbon TCR road bike.... patches of clear coat came off it.

I now have a Schwinn Carbon Paramount series 9.... best paint coat i'v had on a bike. Very robust. after a year not a chip or scratch. The Paint is almost like protective coat, its not hard and brittle and cracky (if there is such a word) like giant paint.

Bit far. No someone up here in Gauteng that could help. Sorry.

Well I once did a 160km trip on the bike, so where will I end up if I start from Durbanville: Touwsrivier? Shall we meet half way and exchange bikes?