What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered what the strength comparison is of Centre-lock vs 6-bolt, I find my CL's creak, especially at the back when i first start applying the brakes. What are the chances of a CL rotor slipping / stripping out the splines?

Put on correctly - 0.

Either way it should not have happened. All these top mechanics etc etc. still you have a problem. Surley they test for these sorts of issues before a race?

Dont think its the mech's fault cracky, like the one post says 3% failures under extreme conditions, bleh, when is something like an epic not extreme. Its the same with evan's partner last year on his carbon wheels. There comes a point where wheight loss affects reliability, and these pro's are happy to take that gamble it seems.

So maybe I missed it - what breaks where they using? Interested as to what/why things failed.

Whilst I have managed to complete a DH run on front only (203) before, after the rear hose blew, the front was fading fast by the end.

On a 140/160mm rotor, if one brake fails, the other will fade really fast.

I would also contend that Mr Evans could stop a 160mm rotor quicker than many could stop a 180.

Unfortunate accident and better luck next time. Feel sorry for him though after all the prep.

Dont think its the mech's fault cracky, like the one post says 3% failures under extreme conditions, bleh, when is something like an epic not extreme. Its the same with evan's partner last year on his carbon wheels. There comes a point where wheight loss affects reliability, and these pro's are happy to take that gamble it seems.

As with motor racing, are they not testing things prior to such a massive event. Putting everything through its paces so that extreme conditions are accounted for and any eventuality

@EliteFunRider no failure, just too much heat, too steep, too fast. #happens 1 day ago

Off Twitter -

*^^* happens - Forest Gump

Edited by The Drongo

the choice of slightly heavier equipment that is 100% reliable is one of the reasons why the bulls team is so successful they do not ride the lightest bike by a long way but the equipment on their bike strike a good balance of weight to reliablity hence they are able to ride more and repair less.

Anyone ever wonder if he maybe just plain ran out of talent.............

Everyone, even the best in the world make mistakes and crash. Not everyone will always admit to it being their own fault, and blame their equipment. It is entirely possible that he may well have simply been pushing too hard and got out of shape and crashed. It Happens to the best of riders..........

Not saying it is the case, simply asking............

Try Max Biaggi for an example. Never ever lost lost a race or crashed when its his fault. Always the tires or some or other part of the equipment gets blamed.

Edited by Joffter

I agree with Lukep. See George and Evans using carbon wheels, why? If it breaks, they are out. Rather use aluminium wheels because they are more unlucky to break. Remember Evans' partner last year broke the carbon wheel??? He had to run to finish...

Everyone, even the best in the world make mistakes and crash. Not everyone will always admit to it being their own fault, and blame their equipment. It is entirely possible that he may well have simply been pushing too hard and got out of shape and crashed. It Happens to the best of riders..........

Try Max Biaggi for an example. Never ever lost lost a race or crashed when its his fault. Always the tires or some or other part of the equipment gets blamed.

@EliteFunRider no failure, just too much heat, too steep, too fast. #happens 1 day ago

Evans, off Twitter

Edited by The Drongo

Good point, ... "a bad workmen always blames their tools." Possibly just an accident :unsure:

Not only the bulls approach to the race

While most title contenders have opted for super lightweight accessories, Stander and Sauser have chosen heavier, but more durable accessories such as tyres, handlebars, stems and seatposts.

“Our bikes weigh 9.5 kgs, which is as much as a kilogramme heavier than some of the other guys’ bikes,” explained Stander. “But we have learned from the past that lighter isn’t necessarily better at the Cape Epic. This race has some of the most rugged terrain in the world and we’ve taken a more cautious approach this year.”

Put on correctly - 0.

Agreed, I don't have a torque wrench but its "tight", :-) may need to take it past the LBS and put the torque wrench to it and check.

So, it's looking like Avid Elixir 5's.

I just can not decide from the meager pics if they are running XTR rotors - the new stainless/ali/stainless, or the stock Avids. I see an insert between hub and rotor in some pics - XTR?

If so, and XTR and there was heat fade, someone might have to go back to the drawing board.

Not only the bulls approach to the race

While most title contenders have opted for super lightweight accessories, Stander and Sauser have chosen heavier, but more durable accessories such as tyres, handlebars, stems and seatposts.

“Our bikes weigh 9.5 kgs, which is as much as a kilogramme heavier than some of the other guys’ bikes,” explained Stander. “But we have learned from the past that lighter isn’t necessarily better at the Cape Epic. This race has some of the most rugged terrain in the world and we’ve taken a more cautious approach this year.”

As I said in a previous thread, 9.5kg for a dual suss 29'er is still pretty light!

i had 160mm rotor on my 29er front.... brakes used to fade badly at the bottom of "gravity dice" in Giba (KZN).. i changed front to 185mm avid G3 rotor and massive improvement. 29er's should run 180 + rotor at front... but i know these guys are scared of the extra 40 grams??

I am running 160 up front and 140 on the back on my 29'ers, never had a problem.